Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 98/90.5/65 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 23%

I have been taking maca and coconut oil for the past 4 weeks and have noticed improvments. I to sweet now do not feel so cold have more emergy and my skin is not dry.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 08:48

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hi - my Maca has just arrived, I ordered 500g of powder (it cost £30 but that's another story!).
How do people take it - I don't make shakes - I can't find anything I like to make them from apart from greek yoghurt which is a bit high in carbs at the moment - can't afford the carbs from yoghurt and the carbs from maca. Can't take the very sweetened protein powder people make shakes from.
Any ideas? Really looking forward to all the good effects people talk about.
Jay
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 11:05

Plan: Atkins/Hamptons Diet
Stats: 156/152/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hello, I just found the thread regarding the Maca Root and I am very interested to see how those of you who responded before are doing now as far as weight loss and hypothyroid symptoms. I am seriously thinking of purchasing this in powder form. Also, please provide any info relating to daily recommended requirements and how soon you began to notice changes for the better. Thanks so much, I can't wait to read more!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 11:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I used maca to help with energy while I was waiting to start treatment. I can't really say if it helped or not. I don't take it now that I am taking the meds, I don't need it. My energy and libido have returned.

Mia, if you want to help treat your symptoms via diet and supplements you should make sure you're taking Selenium, Zinc and Vits E and D.

Selenium is VITAL for the production of the enzyme responsible for the conversion of T4 to T3. In addition, clinical trials have shown that supplementing with Selenium can help to lower the thyroid antibody counts, reducing symptoms that they cause, too. The maximum you would want to take is 200mcg a day – this is the total amount, so check your multi-vitamin and look at your diet for selenium rich foods, overdosing with selenium is possible.

Zinc (10 mg per day) is needed both before and after these production and conversion of T4 / T3 processes. Moreover, zinc is needed at the intracellular level to help the thyroid nuclear receptors attach and drive the reading of the DNA genetic code. Keep in mind that the main function of thyroid hormone is to help put the genetic code into action.

In addition to these minerals, vitamin D is necessary for thyroid hormone production in the pituitary gland, and possibly in the early stages of T-3 (thyronine) binding to its receptor. Vitamin E is part of the necessary supporting apparatus that enables the deiodinase enzyme to convert T-4 into T-3.

Diet wise avoid millett, soy (supressed thyroid), flax (also suppresses thyroid) and tea (contains fluoride which was once used to treat hyperthyroidism it suppresses thyroid so well).

Unless cooked avoid the following goitrogenic foods: African cassava, Asparagus, babassu, Broccoli, brussels sprouts, Cabbage, cauliflower, horseradish, kale, kohlrabi, leafy green vegetables (turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens), Legumes (beans and peas), peanuts, pine nuts, Processed meats, radishes, rutabaga, Spinach, turnips, Watercress

HTH
Nat
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 17:04

BF:

Thanks Nat. I will add the suggested supplements and hope for releif. I can't get over all of the food limitations, being such an avid veggie eater, it is disappointing to see that all of my favorites are on that list. Oh well, I guess you have to do whatever it takes, there really isn't much choice if I hope to feel well again. Thanks again...... I'm sure I will have more questions at some point and it is nice to know that someone as knowledgeable as yourself is only a post away!!!!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 17:46
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Mianezra, remember if they're cooked it's OK. Mostly, for me, the list means not to eat raw cauliflower and broccoli with dip or a spinach salad. The rest of the stuff (that I recognize) is normally cooked anyway.

Wanda
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 18:49

BF:

Thanks Wanda. That is definitely a plus. So just to verify, as long as things are cooked, such as brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflour, etc, they should not act as a thyroid suppressant?
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 06:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mianezra
So just to verify, as long as things are cooked, such as brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflour, etc, they should not act as a thyroid suppressant?
Exactly!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 11:18

BF:

Hey Nat, are there any daily requirements or recommendations for the daily usage of Vitamin E and Vitamin D
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 12:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mianezra
Hey Nat, are there any daily requirements or recommendations for the daily usage of Vitamin E and Vitamin D

Yes, sorry, I missed that on the cut and paste!

Vit E - 400-800 IU
Vit C - 400 IU

Cheers!
Nat
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-08, 14:08

Stats: 234/202/156 Male 5' 6.6"
BF:
Progress:
Smile Best Ways to Mix Maca

I was searching for the low carb dieters, and was worried that Maca would take me out of Ketosis. I am still not sure.

I wanted to share my Maca Mixtures:

I mix the maca in about a 1/4 c of Follow Your Heart dressing (Ranch or Creamy Garlic)
It's all under 30 calories and 1 carb.
Usually to that I add a scoop of Low carb protein powder.

I also usually mix the Maca in Costco's Classic Tahini (Sabra Foods)
This is the most amazing tahini. It is great with the maca.
For a taffy like mixture - stir in protein powder in the tahini

FOR THE MOST DELICIOUS AND PRETTY LOW CARB DESSERT
I start with two LARGE tablespoons of Coconut Oil,
Melt the coconut oil
Add 1 or 2 taplespoons of Peanut Butter (No sugar added of course)
Stir completely
I add Roland Food's Tahini - VERY CREAMY and tastes like Halva
Maybe 3 or 4 spoons of that.
I wouldn't drink it straight...
I mix in a scoop of vanilla protein powder.
I recently found it works best if you mix the protein powder and maca together before adding it to the liquid. It mixes much better that way.
Mix all the powder and make a very creamy mixture.
Put in the fridge for a few hours, and you have what seems like
PEANUT BUTTER ICE CREAM
I say Ice Cream because it has the consistency of it.
Coconut oil is FROZEN SOLID just below room temperature.

PLEASE COMMENT
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-09, 16:52

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Anybody still using maca?
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-09, 18:06
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I don't know about the thyroid, but I know people take it for libido issues.

Lisa
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-14, 12:58

Plan: Don't
Stats: 100/100/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Warning against maca use for hypothyroid

I originally found an article about this herb used to treat depression and became very interested. I have a very severe case of depression and was excited to read this would help. I also read that this helps women gain weight in feminine areas such as thighs, hips and breasts. Naturally that Peaked my interest seeing how I am underweight, and I became very excited at the possibility of being happy and not experiencing anxiety and also possibly gaining some pounds... However, besides this thread, every other article I have read warns people with a thyroidism against using this plant root. I was incredibly disappointed by this, and though I am happy to have found this forum which suggests maca actually helps thyroidisms, I'm actually still worried. I don't want to develop anything bc of it, but I'm willing to try it in hopes that it will help with my depression and anxiety levels as well as boost my energy. If I could just feel good for once. I read the article that you guys posted about that doctor from Chile but I still felt uneasy about her response regarding not having a standard effect recognized w the use of maca by hypothyroid people. Anyone have more info?