Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 11:07

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Fried Chicken

I'm not big on cheating but, I was just wondering...
Can you eat fried chicken (like KFC) if you take off all the breading?

Oh, if anyone could give me a recipe for fried chicken (I've heard some of you make it with pork rinds) I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch,
Heather
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 12:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/176/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

Personally I stay away from KFC because it seems so saturated in fat (even the meat, it's yucky) and also because man do they charge an arm and a leg for their chicken!

Try taking chicken pieces and dipping them in mayo (or egg and water) and then into crushed pork rinds. I prefer to dip in mayo (keeps them very juicy) and then in a crushed pork rind, crushed almond mixture. Yummy, so good. For variety, add some spices to the mayo before dipping chicken pieces into it (cajun, garlic, oregano, anything!) This is my favorite recipe for meat! Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 12:40

Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%

Often I just put plain old chicken pieces in a bit of hot oil in an electric frying pan, cover and cook and with the skin on, it browns up really nicely. A little salt and pepper or preferred seasoning and voila, simple, low carb and delicious enough for me!!

Mari

PS Not sure about the KFC as I don't live near one anyway, it is not really a problem for me to decide to eat it or not, BUT I would say, if I was stuck somewhere, with a limited amount of choices and was hungry, I would take the skin off and eat it before I would dive into a sub sandwich or something else like that...I wonder if they inject a sugary maranade or something though....
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 12:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Try taking chicken pieces and dipping them in mayo (or egg and water) and then into crushed pork rinds. I prefer to dip in mayo (keeps them very juicy) and then in a crushed pork rind, crushed almond mixture. Yummy, so good. For variety, add some spices to the mayo before dipping chicken pieces into it (cajun, garlic, oregano, anything!)

I've used this recipe and it's great! We make shnitzle at New years and this tasted just like it. I would recommend pounding down the chicken (if its boneless ) so that it will fry up faster.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 12:57

Stats: 220/176/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default oops forgot to mention

After dipping in all the yummies, I bake at 425 for about 45 minutes (but my oven came over on the Ark so it may take less time at a lessor temperature for newer stoves). I hate all the splatters everywhere when frying and too much of the yummies fall off in the oil;-)

Like Nat said, this coating works well on other things as well. Pork chops (but I only like the fattier cuts of pork like the butt steak as I find lean chops dry after cooking) and it is really yummy to dip meatballs into and then bake. YUM!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 13:06

BF:

THANKS GUYS!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 14:23

Plan: Atkins/ Modified BFL
Stats: 212/174/23
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Parmesan chicken wings!

Liddle,

I have this wonderful recipe for chicken wings...I'm sure you could do the same with pieces.

Take wings, and place in large bowl. Pour one beaten egg over top of them all and mix...you only want them sticky...not sopping.

Roll each one in finely grated parmesan cheese and place in greased oven dish. They can be placed quite tightly together. Bake at 350degrees for 1 hour..,They won't burn...and I believe I don't turn them over (induction has affected my brain!)

They are AMAZING! You would swear they are breaded! Then you can dip them in blue cheese dressing or any "liddle" thing your heart desires!

Enjoy!
Muse
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 16:16

BF:

Oh, that sounds sooooo yummy
I will have to make that tonight!
Thanks a bunch!!!
Heather
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 00:17

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Did I do something wrong?

I had pork chops last night.

I dipped the cold(just defrosted) chops in mayo after s & p, then coat it with crushed pork rinds and put in oven at 375 for about 45 min. in the oven.

I find that the pork rinds in combination with the mayo makes the pork chop super greasy and mush-y and didn't give me much of a crust. I had it on a rack also so the fat from the chops can drain off in the pan.

Any ideas why it looks like a wet/soggy pork chop?? Well, my husband ate it anyway but I would like to make it better.

Thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 08:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Unhappy

hi Sarah,

I wonder if the chops still had a fair bit of water in them, being just defrosted and still cold?

To tell you the truth, I've never tried baking pork chops with the crumb coating in the oven ... I usually pan-fry in a small amount of fat. But chicken (with or without the skin) comes out nice and crunchy ... I find "dipping" in mayo is too messy, so I just use a knife to spread a thin layer on, then press on the seasoned crumbs with my fingers. I don't turn them, so they just get the crumbs on the top side. Like you, I find the crumb layer that sits on the bottom gets soggy, even if you turn them over during baking. But pan-frying in a little oil or bacon fat makes both sides nice and crispy.

My 2¢ ... hopefully somebody else will come along with some tips to make the baked chops crispy on both sides ... I'd like to know too!

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 10:21
Registered Member

Stats: 289/277/155
BF:
Progress: 9%

MMMMMMmmmmmmmm what some wonderful ideas thanks for sharing!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 17:55
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%
Smile Alpine wings

Our group of LCers tends to eat at a local restaurant that specializes in wings but is owned by a fellow low-carber.....we fry our plain wings extra crispy with no breading and then dip them in a sauce prepared with butter and Texas Pete. Could eat them everyday! Without them, I would have never made it this long on the plan......also like to take boiled shrimp and dip them in this sauce..Yummy! (I've also heard that this hot sauce tends to increase one's metabolism....anyone else heard this?)

Keep on with fried chicken....it's a staple good in the South!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 11:58

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

Chicken wings are one of my absolute favorite things, and the lack of a breading was a stumper, until I came up with a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of textured soy protein and grated parmesan (watch out for store brands of grated parmesan; some of them have flour or other wheat as a binder/filler). Works like a charm!

If anyone's interested:

Wing Breading:
===========
3/4 C. textured soy protein
3/4 C. grated parmesan cheese
1 T. paprika
1 t. dry mustard
1 t. onion powder
1/2 t. cayenne powder

Wing Sauce:
=========
1/2 C. cayenne sauce (I like Red Hot)
1/4 C. white vinegar
2 T. melted butter
1/2 T. paprika
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. dry mustard

Prepare wing sections with breading and cook as you normally would. I bake them at 450 for about 40 minutes, turning once, on a cookie sheet with about 2 T. melted butter on it. Warm the sauce and toss the cooked wings in it until the sauce thickens. Enjoy.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 18:24

Plan: adkins for life
Stats: 193/185/165
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default You'll love this one! Guarantee it!!!

Just had this for supper... copied it someplace on line.. and am now hunting it .. so I can post how wonderful it is... here it is...
Todd's Fried Chicken --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6-8 skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 eggs
2 bags of plain or BBQ pork rinds
3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
lemon pepper to taste
garlic to taste
italian seaoning to taste

take 6-8 boneless chicken breasts beat eggs and cream in a bowl in another bowl mash pork rines into crumbs add whatever spices you like. dip chicken breasts in egg mixture and dip in crushed pork rines and pat on both sides of chicken. fry in oil in frying pan. the chicken and pork rines have zero carbs so check your spices and oil for carbs should be zero carbs per serving. This is really great if you love fried chicken. Try fried pork chops veal or fish. 6-8 servings at almost zero carbs

my measurements were as follows if you want a smaller amount..

2 large chicken breasts.. split.. with the bone...
1/2 bag crushed BBQ bacon rinds
2 large eggs
3 T. heavy cream
no lemon pepper..
I used,, salt, pepper, garlic.. oregano..
followed the directions.. poured a little olive oil in my pan... and drizzled a little over the tops of the chicken.. and baked it at 325-350 degrees.. and it took about one hour...15 minutes..

as you can see from my directions... you may need more eggs and cream then the above recipe calls for... course.. I dumped a small amount of it out...not very much tho.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 18:49
Registered Member

Stats: 211/199/135
BF:
Progress: 16%

I made fried chicken for the first time since I started this WOL. My family has to eat what I eat for dinner so I crushed up a bag of BBQ pork rinds. I didn't tell anyone what it was until they were all almost done! They loved it! Makes it so much easier for me when I can find recipes that everyone will enjoy.

I can't wait to try some of the ideas I've seen in this thread!