Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-16, 14:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default The new Atkins products

Since going gluten free, I avoid the Atkins bars like the plague but the Lift bars are supposedly gluten free. I just have a few pounds to lose so when I get out of Induction, I don't think a bar here and there as a meal replacement will kill me. (Yes it does sound like I'm trying to justify myself for considering eating them lmao...) I haven't eaten a regular Atkins bar in years - didn't care for the sugar alcohols. Anyone tried them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-16, 15:45

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Hmmmmm. Maybe look at it from the opposite end. You have been eating clean, healthy food, not only to lose weight, but to improve your overall health.

Why mess it up with Frankenfood, once you have achieved that?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-16, 20:12

Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Because everyone likes a 'treat' now and then.........
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-16, 20:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I just looked at the nutrition info for one. One thing I like is you can pretty much read exactly where the carbs are coming from--the "net carbs" that aren't discounted come from 3 grams of sugar on the variety I looked at, it looks like the other two from the total of 5 came from tapioca starch. This and 16 grams of carb from fiber, 5 from glycerin for gross carbs of 26. Personally, I wouldn't count fiber, but glycerin might be a little different. It's a slow carb, but I wouldn't call it a non-digestible carb.

Quote:
Stimulation of insulin secretion in man by oral glycerol administration.
Zanoboni A, Schwarz D, Zanoboni-Muciaccia W.
Abstract
The effects of an orally administered glycerol load (1 g/Kg body weight) on blood glucose, plasma FFA, and plasma insulin levels have been determined in eight normal fasting or glucose loaded (1 g/Kg body weight) volunteers. Blood glucose levels were not affected by glycerol loading while glicemia followed the same pattern of a glucose tolerance test in the group treated with glucose plus glycerol. Plasma FFA were significantly lowered only 90 min after glycerol loading while they had markedly and persistently decreased by glycerol plus glucose per os. Finally, though glicemia did not change, insulinemia was markedly increased by glycereol, 90 min after loading; moreover, plasma IRI was significantly higher in the group treated with glycerol plus glucose than in the group treated with glucose alone. These data suggest that the release of insulin may be stimulated by a very small increment of blood glucose, which derives from glycerol.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01269904

Quote:
Summary
The metabolism of glycerol was studied by intravenous and oral glycerol tolerance test (single dose of 5 g orally and 2.4 g intravenously) in 15 healthy and 17 diabetic subjects.- The intestinal absorption of glycerol was rapid, the maximum serum level of glycerol occurring 15 minutes after the intake. In diabetic subjects the increment of serum glycerol was significantly smaller than in control cases. However, three patients with hyperlipemia and diabetes formed a striking exception in having abnormally high peak glycerol levels. The plasma FFA level was not altered by oral glycerol. Blood glucose remained unchanged in the controls, but rose on an average 13 mg/100 ml in insulin-requiring diabetics. The intravenous glycerol disappearance curves were analysed by an electronic computer. With a few exceptions the result was compatible with a one-compartment kinetic model. The fractional disappearance rate of glycerol from this pool was significantly smaller in diabetics (0.041 min−1) than in control subjects (0.059 min−1). However, the total disappearance rate was twice as high in the diabetic as in the control group (mean values 3.85 and 1.73 μmolesper minute per kilogram, respectively).

Dr. Bernstein uses the rule that a gram of glucose will raise his blood glucose by about 5 mg/dl. If 5 grams of oral glycerol raised these diabetic's blood glucose by 13 mg/dl, that's 2.6 mg/dl. Diabetics probably turn glycerol into glucose more efficiently than controls--but probably so would somebody who was fasting or on a ketogenic diet.

It sounds to me like in a dose as small as 5 grams, absorption is so rapid that it's probably also completely absorbed, I'd count 5 grams of glycerol as 5 grams of carbohydrate.

Not that I'm all that anti-bar, I'm just sort of a nit-picker when it comes to what counts as carbohydrate.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-16, 22:17

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Leslie, I like treats, too. Who doesn't?

But foods that are manufactured to make you crave them are not treats to me, anymore. Really, they are anti-treats.

I'd rather make a pan of low carb brownies, and freeze all but one. They have all real food in them, except for the AS.

You are, of course, free to eat them. I kind of think of the entire corporation who took over Dr. Atkins lifework as the devil. They make artificial crap, they perverted his eating plan. I don't want to give them any more of my money, ever.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 07:24

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Leslie, I tried these recently in the peanut butter chocolate chip flavor. I didn't like them much, but it may be the flavor I chose. I admittedly have a bit of a sweet tooth and I didn't find them overly sweet, and didn't think they tasted much like peanut butter.
But maybe you'll have a different experience.

Have you tried out the product analyzer function at netrition? That could help you find some gluten-free low-carb bars: http://www2.netrition.com/cgi/product_search.cgi

Teaser, these bars raised my blood sugar over 80 points, but I'm pretty sure it was more than the glycerin. Whatever "soluble corn fiber" means, they now use it in some Quest bars as well, and I still can't eat Quest bars without spiking my blood sugar (except for one flavor, oddly).

I thought when Quest bars got rid of the Isomalto-Oligosaccharides I would be able to eat them but this appears to not be the case. (I should post an update in the Quest bar thread.) These "prebiotic fibers" are a funny thing.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 07:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Personal choice and your own reaction to the various new sweeteners and fibers requires taste testing each one. Quest has some new formulas I'd try before Atkins, the Adapt Bars are nice, clean fatty little treats, Trader Joe has their own new version of a Kind Bar (mostly nuts) and some new Primal bars are hitting the market. My view are all of those options use better quality ingredients than Atkins, but if like SF, you don't react well to some new fiber used, it would not end well.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-03-16 at 07:52.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 08:22

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

"Treat" makes it sound happy and wholesome. But it's still made from white powder fractionated carbs (which I think of that food as kin to white powder drugs myself)

I'm with MickISue on finding or making a treat that's made with whole foods.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-16, 12:09

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Atkins new Harvest Bars are very similar to Kind Bars -- mostly nut based without sugar alcohols. I don't eat any products in general, but I thought these might be good for road trips, or other situations when you want to eat and there is no food around. Of course now that I'm doing IF, I probably won't worry too much about skipping meals
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-16, 13:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Atkins bars have the potential to stall my weight loss, so I only have them maybe once every two months. I had a Quest bar last night ... oh my goodness was that ever tasty. I just made sure I had a light day of eating and this morning the scale was kind. It's something I try to be very vigilant about only having once every two months. Certainly not on a monthly or weekly basis. If ever I learn to bake low-carb (insert uproarious laughter here) I may make treats from whole foods.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-16, 08:33

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

When it comes down to it, I'd probably be better off with Atkins bars than with some lower carb treats, like peanuts or low carb brownies. I find it hard to stop eating that kind of stuff... the bars aren't as much of a problem for me, because I don't actually like them.