Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-18, 05:59

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
For friend and his doctor...I really like the little tri-folder low carb brochure now at DietDoctor. I keep a copy in my purse, gym bag, etc in case Diet ever comes up. Enticing photos of real food, simple enough for a doctor to see as not dangerous

https://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-conte...folder_1803.pdf

Dunno how I missed this. Anybody here remember my low-carb booklet? Nevermind, point is this is pretty much the same thing, only better. It contains exactly none of the hundred pages of intro found in every single diet book on the planet (yeah, even Atkins). It contains exactly all of the important stuff, and only the important stuff. Cuz really, whatcha looking for, explanation or instruction? We can explain later.

I want a French version to distribute to my family and friends. They read English but most of their friends speak French. Searched the site, maybe I'm just too dumb or something, can't find translations if they exist.

-edit- I forgot. Thank you for posting the link, Janet.

-edit- Actually I got one friend who asked me to help him. This is perfect. He certainly won't read anything longer than that at this point. Maybe later, doesn't matter, this will do just fine.

Last edited by M Levac : Fri, Jul-27-18 at 06:15.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 02:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Low Carb Program recognised in peer-reviewed journal

The award-winning Low Carb Program is “effective” for achieving glycemic control, weight loss, and reducing hypoglycaemic medications, a study has concluded.

The online platform was launched on World Diabetes Day in 2015 by Diabetes.co.uk to help people prevent or reserve type 2 diabetes by advocating a diet low in carbohydrate and high in healthy fats.

So far more than 360,000 people have registered to take part in the digital health intervention, which has won multiple awards and recently received a CE Mark and QISMET approval to be prescribed on the NHS.

To evaluate its effectiveness a team of researchers reviewed one-year outcomes of the Low Carb Program, with the findings published by the Journal of Medical Internet Research.

They randomly selected 1,000 participants who had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and then followed these people up 12 months on from registering with the platform. The results showed that overall blood sugar control and weight loss had improved, especially for participants who had completed all of the program’s 10 modules.

A total of 26.2 per cent of the 743 participants with a starting HbA1c of 47.5 mmol/mol (6.5 per cent) or above lowered their HbA1c while taking no glucose-lowering medication or just metformin. Of the people who were on at least one therapy for their type 2 diabetes, 40.4 per cent reduced one or more of their medications.

Nearly 50 per cent of all participants shed more than five per cent of weight and people who had greater HbA1c levels before joining, lost on average 6.9 per cent. People with higher HbA1c levels experienced greater HbA1c reductions, according to the findings of the review.

The review team was was led by University of Michigan’s Dr Laura R Saslow, and also included Chief Operating Officer of Diabetes.co.uk Charlotte Summers along with Dr David Unwin, a GP renowned for advocating low carb and also a member of the Advisory Panel of Diabetes.co.uk.

The researchers concluded: “Especially for participants who fully engage, an online program that teaches a carbohydrate-reduced diet to adults with type 2 diabetes can be effective for glycemic control, weight loss, and reducing hypoglycemic medications.”

Ms Summers said: “I am so proud to see the impact of the Low Carb Program published for the world to see and it is really exciting to share the one-year outcomes.”

Editor of Diabetes.co.uk Benedict Jephcote, who was also the Low Carb Program lead writer, added: “It has been amazing that people with type 2 diabetes have been able to achieve such fantastic results that will benefit their health and lives for years to come.”

https://diabetestimes.co.uk/low-car...viewed-journal/
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-18, 01:44

BF:

Quote:
RCGP low glycaemic-index course praised

An online course exploring low glycaemic-index (GI) diets in type 2 diabetes released by the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) has been praised by a leading nutritional expert.

The 30-minute e-learning module ‘Type 2 Diabetes – a Low GI Approach’ is for healthcare professionals and has been written by Southport-based GP Dr David Unwin and diabetes.co.uk.

It has been applauded by Lord Balfe, a key figure in European and international parliamentary affairs and Honorary President and Global Patron of NNEdPro Global Centre for Nutrition and Health.

The module aimed at GPs, practice nurses, diabetic nurses and other professionals working in primary care helping people living with type 2 diabetes was made available to all 52,000 members of The Royal College of General Practitioners in June.

Lord Balfe said: “I am particularly pleased to hear the Royal College of General Practitioners has just published a peer reviewed e-learning course on this subject written by Dr Unwin to help other health care professionals interested in avoiding lifelong medication for their patients with type 2 diabetes.

“Dr Unwin has shown the benefits to be gained from the treatment of type 2 diabetes by dietary modification. Not only does his simple and easily understandable set of modifications to diet lead to a potential life free of drugs but it also cuts the cost of treatment within an overstretched NHS.”

In 2016, Dr Unwin was awarded ‘NHS Innovator of the Year’ for published research into a low carb diet as an alternative to therapies for type 2 diabetes, with his GP practice spending £40,000 per year less than expected on drugs for diabetes, while at the same time helping up to 50% of people get their diabetes into medication-free remission.

This is done by dramatically cutting back on both dietary sugar and the starchy carbohydrates that digest down into sugar.

Broken down into three sessions, the 30-minute online course starts with a baseline assessment of the knowledge, skills and attitudes relating to diabetes and a low-carbohydrate diet and finishes with a 10 question quiz to assess understanding of material from the module.

Early feedback has indicated that the average score for users at baseline assessment was 49.18% compared to 83.5% when assessed on completing the module. Additionally, the average course rating voted the module five out of five stars.

Diabetes.co.uk developed, in association with Dr Unwin, the award-winning Low Carb Program. With over 350,000 users, the Program launched on World Diabetes Day 2015 has significantly disrupted the understanding behind type 2 diabetes and has demonstrated type 2 diabetes remission in one in four members who complete the program. This autumn a Diabetes.co.uk online education and resource platform for Health Care Professionals will be launched to complement the Low Carb Program.

https://diabetestimes.co.uk/rcgp-lo...course-praised/
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-18, 02:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Wonderful news, Dr Unwin deserves every accolade for his role in adding this LC module to training. Many others at PHC-UK and Diabetes.uk also worked hard, but he is the GP on the ground, making it simple, explaining it in his calm reasonable way.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-18, 08:21

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Now if we could just get something similar into the hands of American GPs, nurses, and nutritionists.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-18, 00:39

BF:

Quote:
Diabetes risk slashed in weeks with these tips after shock obesity warning

Almost four million of us are living with diabetes, but that will rise above five million in 20 years, due to worsening lifestyles and obesity

A trial funded by Diabetes UK has found it is possible to put Type 2 diabetes into remission.

A low carbohydrate diet coupled with exercise saw the causes of type 2 diabetes being “corrected”.

Volunteers adhered to a strict nutrient-rich diet of 800 calories a day. After a week, MRI scans showed the fat around their livers had dropped by 30% and their blood-sugar levels were normal.

At the end of the eight-week trial, fat levels in the pancreas had also fallen and the organs were producing insulin again.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/...-weeks-13128643
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-18, 07:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Now if we could just get something similar into the hands of American GPs, nurses, and nutritionists.

That's the real challenge globally now, to start to change the perception of the role of nutrition and lifestyle in the people who practice medicine and counsel for health. The dogma purveyed over the past 40+ years is extremely hard to unlearn to make the transition. Unfortunately, part of this change will occur when the current generation of practitioners is replaced due to age and death, as many are unwilling to adopt new knowledge.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-18, 07:35

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

THank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

This is exactly the information I have been seeking---- lots on all the fats filling up the liver and the pancreas BUT no info at all on how long on LC diet will correct the fattines.

#39   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-18, 07:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
That's the real challenge globally now, to start to change the perception of the role of nutrition and lifestyle in the people who practice medicine and counsel for health. The dogma purveyed over the past 40+ years is extremely hard to unlearn to make the transition. Unfortunately, part of this change will occur when the current generation of practitioners is replaced due to age and death, as many are unwilling to adopt new knowledge.

Rob, given the dogma of physicians not only about foods and diet, but everything else I have lost faith in all MD's in my life. I think of them as quacks. I have tried to share information, and get the blank look. The look that says 'stop talking Im not going there.'

So sadly, I think you are totally right.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-18, 08:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Ms. A - It's become a real issue with many in the medical community unwilling to learn new information. In a way, I can understand this, as human nature is a fascinating, unpredictable dynamic. I just saw a family physician who had an office over an hour away from my home due to the fact that he specializes in metabolic health and is a strong LCHF advocate, practicing it himself. I still have my PCP locally who I have a follow up with in a month. The dilemma? After speaking with the new physician and confirming my test results are very positive, I will no longer have my blood lipids tested, as they rarely give me any valuable feedback other than numbers rather than valid health markers. I plan to inform my PCP that I have a very different lipid profile as a keto practitioner compared to anyone following a SAD, even compared to those following what might be considered a healthy SAD. If he can understand and support my pursuing health through lifestyle adjustments, then I'm fine with that. We shall see . . .

Your observation is important. What I've done over the past 20 years is to better understand how medical professionals can help me and to identify those areas where we are on our own to obtain the knowledge we require to live healthy. They have their roles, and I no longer try to fit that "square peg" of the medical community into the "round hole" that represents my lifestyle.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-18, 09:34

BF:

I am trying to find a practitioner like you have. You actually inspired me , a couple weeks ago,to google my area and found 3 holistic doctors, and all an hour or more drive.

It took someone else to give me the idea: have the medical professional run the tests and ID the problem, then take that info to the chiropractic practitioner/wholistic. However, too often the diagnosis is wrong.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-18, 01:30

BF:

Quote:
‘I shed seven stone and reversed my diabetes through a low carb diet’

Yvonne Lane has avoided needing to take medication to control her blood sugar levels – by following a similar diet to Labour's Tom Watson

Being told she had type 2 diabetes was a shock for Yvonne Lane. The potential life-limiting complications – from sight loss and amputation to cardiovascular disease and stroke – terrified her.

So she decided there and then to start a complete lifestyle overhaul.

The 52-year-old had always struggled with her weight and when she was diagnosed in December 2016 she was 15 stone 12. Now she’s lost nearly seven stone and ‘reversed’ her diabetes – which means she has avoided needing to take any medication.

The charity fundraiser, from South London, has followed a low carb diet – giving up pasta, potatoes, bread and sugar. Labour deputy leader Tom Watson recently revealed he followed a similar eating plan that has resulted in dramatic weight loss and he no longer requires insulin to manage his blood sugar.

Yvonne told i: “I’d honestly say that I don’t feel denied, it took a few weeks of cravings and feeling cranky from the carb withdrawals but now I just feel so much better.

“I used to suffer very bad migraines - about six to eight a month – and they have now gone too.”

The rise in type 2 diabetes across the UK is linked to the growth in obesity – and this fast growing health crisis is set to affect more than 5 million people by 2025.

Medics are increasingly urging that the condition is a preventable and reversible disease. But the carboyhdrate/fat diet debate has split the scientific and public health community.

How is the diet said to work? Yvonne followed the Diabetes.co.uk forum and followed its Low Carb Program.

This focuses on reducing carbs to under 20g a day. When she was diagnosed, her HbA1c (average blood glucose level) was 108mmol/mol. Above 48mmol/mol is considered diabetic. Her last measurement in August was just 30 mmol/mol.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle...verse-diabetes/
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-18, 20:48

BF:

Do we have access to that program? Is it the one detailed earlier??? That one seemed to have more than 20 carbs.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 15:20

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

An excellent collection of stories Demi!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 18:11

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I want a French version to distribute to my family and friends. They read English but most of their friends speak French. Searched the site, maybe I'm just too dumb or something, can't find translations if they exist.
Googling from outside the site I found one in French on: https://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-in-twelve-languages

He is also looking to hire someone to run his site in French, since the Spanish version is very popular.

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Oct-10-18 at 18:18.