Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-24, 14:40

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Keto diet helps people maintain weight loss after stopping Ozempic

Quote:
Keto diet helps people maintain weight loss after stopping Ozempic

In a small study, people with type 2 diabetes maintained their weight loss on the low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet for a year after they stopped using Ozempic or similar medications

People with type 2 diabetes who stop using drugs like Ozempic or Wegovy that trigger weight loss can avoid regaining the lost pounds if they adopt a ketogenic diet. The finding, which comes from a small study, challenges the notion that people must take these medications indefinitely to prevent unwanted weight gain.

Ozempic and Wegovy belong to a class of medications called GLP-1 agonists, which reduce appetite and boost the release of insulin. They are commonly prescribed to help people with type 2 diabetes regulate blood sugar and lose weight. However, many experts have assumed that people must remain on the drugs long term, otherwise they regain the lost weight.

Shaminie Athinarayanan at Virta Health – a US telehealth company that treats type 2 diabetes – and her colleagues decided to test that assumption. Their inspiration for doing so came from previous research showing low-carbohydrate diets, like the ketogenic diet, help manage blood sugar levels and weight in people with type 2 diabetes.

The researchers tracked weight and blood sugar levels in 308 adults living in the US with type 2 diabetes who received nutrition therapy at Virta Health. All of them were using GLP-1 agonists when they enrolled. Participants were advised to follow the ketogenic diet – meaning they were told to eat less than 30 grams of carbohydrates daily, or less than 50 grams if they were vegan, and about 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. They were encouraged to eat until they felt full, regardless of calories. Health coaches and licensed medical professionals virtually communicated with participants as needed.

Between three and nine months later, half of the participants discontinued using GLP-1 agonists. All participants continued to follow the ketogenic diet for an additional year. At this point, the researchers found no significant differences in weight or blood sugar levels between the two groups. On average, participants who stopped taking GLP-1 agonists only gained about a kilogram of weight. By comparison, those who continued taking the medications gained about 2 kilograms. Most of the participants in both groups also had blood sugar levels below the threshold for diagnosing diabetes.

“This study suggests that the continued use of GLP-1 agonists is not necessary for many people if [they] have the right intervention,” says Athinarayanan. “You can discontinue [these medications] safely and effectively and maintain weight and blood sugar outcomes.”

This may be helpful for people who can’t take the medications due to shortages or side effects, says Priya Jaisinghani at NYU Langone Health in New York. However, people must speak with their doctor before beginning a low-carb diet since it can carry risks, especially for those with underlying conditions like kidney disease or an eating disorder, she says. She also points out the study was sponsored by Virta Health and only included a small number of participants. So, “it is not the end-all, be-all”, says Jaisinghani. “But it shows the difference diet can make.”

Journal reference:

Diabetes Therapy DOI: 0.1007/s13300-024-01547-0

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...opping-ozempic/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-24, 03:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Of course it does! And they don't NEED the meds, but at least they have an exit strategy.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-24, 05:43

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

This would be great if only the medical community would support low-carb eating as being healthy.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-24, 11:13

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

The ones who can eat even remotely LC while on those drugs are few and far between, because any fats and most proteins sit like lead in their stomachs, way too difficult to digest, and often making them throw up. So it seems most of them are living primarily on carbs while on those meds.

They haven't had to exercise any self control while on those drugs - the drugs create the control.

But because they've been on a mostly carb based diet for months, when the go off of the drugs, their taste buds and body are still screaming for carbs, carbs, carbs, which means that with no more drug induced control over how MUCH they're eating, they continue to eat carbs, carbs, carbs, and the weight piles back on faster than it came off.

It's just like any other diet in that respect - once you go off of it, you regain the weight, usually with interest.

So then the choice is to either go back on the same drugs, or on to the next drug in the weight loss genre - because eating LC is just too hard to do.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-24, 14:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I will stick to keto! No drug costs. No Ozempic. And no side effects.

Why cant the medical establishment accept low carb and keto options?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-24, 00:57

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Apparently Oprah has a special on Ozempic etc. on ABC on March 18th. I doubt she'll mention muscle loss as a side effect.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-24, 02:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Why cant the medical establishment accept low carb and keto options?

Apparently they do when someone is about to enter chemotherapy. And yet this is not splashed across the entire internet as a breakthrough. And not considered for prevention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
The ones who can eat even remotely LC while on those drugs are few and far between, because any fats and most proteins sit like lead in their stomachs, way too difficult to digest, and often making them throw up. So it seems most of them are living primarily on carbs while on those meds.

So then the choice is to either go back on the same drugs, or on to the next drug in the weight loss genre - because eating LC is just too hard to do.

I've long wondered if people have increasing trouble digesting actual food, since they eat so much which has been essentially "pre-chewed" and already broken down. Digestive aids are a giant part of prescription drug use.

DH had been on proton pump inhibitors with his illness, and as they reported more side effects with it, we switched him to Betaine HCL, digestive supplements, and pro-biotics. He's lost weight and his high blood pressure meds.

But his stomach needed a lot of help to get back to actual normal; able to digest larger portions of meat and fat. I'm sure he's not the only one.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-24, 05:01

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I've long wondered if people have increasing trouble digesting actual food, since they eat so much which has been essentially "pre-chewed" and already broken down.

I think that many people are addicted to eating out of a drive-thru bag/box and have no idea how to prepare a meal from scratch.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-24, 07:45

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

WB----
Yes, some oncologists accept keto for enhancing chemo but not all. My mother has been treated 5x for different cancers at Dana Farber, and not once was keto used. The last treatment caused her fingernails such damage that her nails didn't grow for a full year .

Quote:
I think that many people are addicted to eating out of a drive-thru bag/box and have no idea how to prepare a meal from scratch.

Too true!

I taught both my boys how to cook. My DH cooks. His brothers cook. His dad cooked. His mom is a terrible cook! 😂

I've tried to teach my son's past girlfriend but it's hard to compete with a restaurant. He took her out 2-3-4 times a week.....
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-24, 11:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Apparently they do when someone is about to enter chemotherapy. And yet this is not splashed across the entire internet as a breakthrough. And not considered for prevention.

I knew two people back in the 00's who died from cancer - both had been put on a raw food diet to supposedly stop the cancer.

The one said she was allowed some foods that were slightly heated - basically just enough to take the chill off, not enough to actually cook them.

The other was consuming mostly juiced vegetables and fruits (she had a juicer - went through about 50 lbs of organic carrots a couple of times weekly, in addition to whatever other organic fruits and veggies they could obtain). The rationale behind the juice diet was that it was supposedly easier to absorb the nutrients from fruits and vegetables without needing to actually digest any other parts of the food. (That one was also on coffee enemas - supposedly to remove toxins that were causing the cancer)

Either way, both were getting nothing but carbs, and neither was eating any meat at all - these diets were the opposite of low carb - they were both nothing but carbs, and the juice diet in the simplest form of carbs.

They might have fared better on a ketogenic diet... or perhaps not, because in both cases, the cancer had already metastasized all through their bodies, and was into all their organs by the time they discovered they had cancer or received any treatment at all.

Quote:

I've long wondered if people have increasing trouble digesting actual food, since they eat so much which has been essentially "pre-chewed" and already broken down. Digestive aids are a giant part of prescription drug use.

DH had been on proton pump inhibitors with his illness, and as they reported more side effects with it, we switched him to Betaine HCL, digestive supplements, and pro-biotics. He's lost weight and his high blood pressure meds.

But his stomach needed a lot of help to get back to actual normal; able to digest larger portions of meat and fat. I'm sure he's not the only one.

Basically, our collective digestion is a mess - the proton pump inhibitors are dealing with a problem that starts in the stomach. They used to tell people to make sure they don't recline or lie down for a certain amount of time after eating, and to stop eating foods that caused acid reflux. Now there's a drug to take care of that problem.

There's two opposite forces in the food industry to deal with the other end of the digestive tract - the push for more and more fiber in your diet to keep you "regular", while at the same time more and more junk food devoid of any fiber so that you need a fiber supplement or a laxative - there's always coupons available for Miralax and Metamucil - opposite treatments of the irregularity spectrum, both with their own problems.

And let's not forget the foods that are also geared towards correcting these problems, such as Activia yogurts.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-24, 11:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

Agree - or the ones who do know how to cook are just too wiped out after a day at work to even take on standing in the kitchen long enough to prepare a meal.

Which I understand all too well - when I was on my feet all day in the grocery store, I'd reached the limit of my ability to be on my feet doing... anything.

I ended up cooking on my day(s) off and eating from what I'd prepared that day the rest of the week.

You need to resign yourself to not much food variety in those instances though - you need to prepare foods that will keep all week, reheat easily, and can't spend half the day just deciding what to cook, or even make several different meals - gotta just do enough of a couple of recipes to last until the next days off, and be done with it, because there's a million other things you need to accomplish on those days off too - grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning - everything that you didn't have the time or stamina to do on work days.