Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 22:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/177/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Should I increase my target weight

On starting my Atkins plan in March my BMI was 29.5 .

The read out stated that the normal BMI value should be between 20 and 24.9

Today my BMI reading is 23.9.

The normal body weight was stated to be 129lbs to 160lbs and I therefore set my target here at 140 lbs.

I have got rid of my breasts and most of my stomach and lost a chubby face and of course feeling much fitter. Except when lying down my ribs are not yet showing like they were thirty years ago!

I wouldn't want to alter my target weight because of inability to get there but I reckon to lose another 16 lbs might be going a bit over the top.

Suggestions invited for changes if any to my target weight
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 23:22

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

You might think about increasing your carbs to pre-maintenance - to the point you are losing very little weight - perhaps only a pound or two a month. Then take some time to get used to your new size and let things settle down and see if your weight wants to stay where it is or if it continues down. What about changing your goal to 160 lbs and reconsidering in a year if you want to go lower. You could use that time to learn to keep your weight down since regaining it is a big risk.

Perhaps instead of focusing on your weight, you could work on your exercise and weight lifting to shape your body the way you want it and then make up your mind if you are at the right weight.

I think if you're happy with how you look and you're healthy then your current weight is fine.

Squid
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 23:32

Stats: 275/247/175 Female 5'10
BF:39/36/24or less
Progress: 28%

I agree, dont focus so much on the number but on the way you feel. If you are in your healthy weight range then work on what you feel would help, be that weight lifting or weight loss. I think (at least me) how you feel is most important.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 05:30
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

And it is very true that with this eating style you can end up weighin more, but be smaller. That is the case for me. So while I agree it is hard not to get caught up in the numbers, you really sould go more by your mirror and how you feel!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 06:22

Stats: 190/177/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Thanks for your good advice folks.

As I am a fairly "stocky" build I think I will go for the upper level of the recommended weight - after all I started this not for looks but for health reasons.

I didn't want to cheat myself by changing the goalpost without proper reason.

So many of my friends were going down with type 2 diabetes and I did not want to end up with the same condition

Just confirm I am also following an exercise regime too and the experience of being stuck for some time at the same weight has given me an insight as to how little more I will be able to eat once I go into maintenance