Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-24, 04:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Also, schizophrenia was once known as the "bread disease."

Mental symptoms from gluten sensitivity? I don't think I had them, but then, my mood got better each time I improved my diet.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-24, 05:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Washington Post added the new Keto study to "The Seven" ..top 7 news articles summed in 2 paragraphs:

Quote:
A high-fat keto diet may help people with severe mental illness.

The details: Nearly 80% of people with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder who followed a low-carb diet in a medical trial had “clinically meaningful improvement,” a new study found.

Why? The diet, which also reduced the side effects of patients’ medications, may correct metabolic issues and provide energy to the brain. But more research is needed.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-24, 00:02

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I just finished reading Dr. Georgia Ede's book "Change Your Diet, Change Your Mind", which is very good, though I have been following most of her principles for 20-25 years. Getting rid of sugar, grains & legumes eliminated 99% of my brain fog, fatigue & joint pain. Back in the early 1990s when I was trying vegetarian & vegan diets "for my health" and was getting most of my protein from beans & lentils +/- cheese, a friend mentioned that I would often start a new sentence in the middle of my last sentence. I could hear myself doing it and cringed at how disjointed I sounded. At first I assumed I was just thinking faster than I could talk, but began wondering if the starch & antinutrients were causing inflammation &/or messing with my synapses such that I was literally "not thinking straight" or mis-ordering thoughts between my brain and my mouth. It went away when I went back to eating animal protein for clear and focussed thought and speech.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-24, 02:07

BF:

Quote:
The details: Nearly 80% of people with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder who followed a low-carb diet in a medical trial had “clinically meaningful improvement,” a new study found.

Why? The diet, which also reduced the side effects of patients’ medications, may correct metabolic issues and provide energy to the brain. But more research is needed.

It IS? REALLY? When we have evidence through the ages that animal products made up a significant part of our needed protein?

They weren't risking their life for carrots. We didn't develop better hunting to have salads. Ignoring half the food story is breathtaking in its stupidity.

But they know they can SELL it. In a world where people only read the headlines.

Does eating need more research? When the Victorian poor had recipes for sheep lung, I have to think animal foods were -- traditionally -- considered a necessary part of the diet.

80% of the people got “clinically meaningful improvement” and if it was a drug there would be headlines.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-24, 04:28

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
80% of the people got “clinically meaningful improvement” and if it was a drug there would be headlines.

If it was a drug the drug company would be willing to spend many millions of dollars to get it further tested and approved. The fact that it is a diet and there isn't a money stream from it means that further research will be hard to get done. Who will fund it?
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-24, 06:15

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

About 25 years ago I was diagnosed with “treatment resistant” depression. None of those magic pills helped. Then I changed my diet, cut out sugar, grains, dairy and legumes. This turned out to be the magic cure, no doctor required and no more depression. It went away along with the obesity.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-24, 06:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
None of those magic pills helped. Then I changed my diet, cut out sugar, grains, dairy and legumes... It went away along with the obesity.

Likewise, my anxiety moderated greatly from the time I started low carb. I've refined my approaches but the whole foundation is still low carb.