Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 10:06

Plan: Atkins/Somersize
Stats: 210/204/145
BF:46%
Progress: 9%
Question potato like vegetable??

I was on Sommersize awhile back, order the program from a TV commerical. Anyway, in the packette the was a recipe for some type of root vegetable, that you could make and it tasted just like mashed potatoes. Well I still have the book, but the recipe was on a card that came with the book. I can't find that recipe any more and for the life of me I can't remember the name of that vegetable. Does anyone have that recipe and if so, would you share it? It was great and I'm starting my diet all over again. I would love to make that recipe again. Can you help?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 21:39

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 128/118/115
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Celery root

Hi, I just found this site and this is my first post. The veg you probably mean is celery root, or celariac. the recipe is in the Eat Great Lose Weight book , and since this is not her site I think I can post it ok. 3 celery roots, 1/4 heavy cream, 4 Tbls butter, salt, pepper. Peel roots, cut into smaller pieces, cook till tender. Put in food processer, add all other ingredents and puree till smooth. We love this!! We have had it with beef roast and used gravy with it. It does not taste a lot like potatoes but sure is a wonderful substitute. and is so much better for you than potatoes. You may find it hard to find celery root, but just ask the produce person, the WOE is becoming very popular and a lot of markets are now stocking the more unusual vegs and fruits. There is a web site you may like too, it is loaded with recipes for SS. www.homestead.com/slgkali/recipeindex.html
Denise
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 11:06

Plan: Atkins/Somersize
Stats: 210/204/145
BF:46%
Progress: 9%
Default potato like vegetable

Thanks so much. I've been raking my brain trying to remember.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 14:26

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

Lots of new members! Great to see all of you!

I am sort of a Somersizer and Atkins mix. When I want a carb meal I follow her plan. Keeping the carbs seperate from the pro/fats. I love her recipes too! But I can't say I follow her program to the "T"

Great to see so many people around this board...gets a littel lonely sometimes.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 18:20

Plan: atkins/somersize
Stats: 154/149/127
BF:
Progress: 19%

I really like the celery root puree, my family is not crazy for it. Have you ever tried using turnips or cauliflower? I like both, just make them the same way.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 12:34

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default I much prefer the cauliflower.

Finally tried the celery root the other day and found it too sweet for my tastes. The Cauliflower was more savory and so more like mased potatoes to my mind. I am thinking of chopping it up and cooking it to softness to use in mock potato salad though. Anyone tried this, and if so with which veggies and how was it?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 12:42

Plan: Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load
Stats: 233/236/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: -5%
Wink Potato-like Vegetable

For a potato-like vegetable, I have had great success with rutabagas. They have about 1/3 of the carbs of potatoes, and to me, they taste like potatoes except with a more robust flavor. If you really want to dilute the carbs, try mixing 2/3 rutabaga with 1/3 turnips. Turnips are even lower in carbs than rutabaga, but because their water content is so high, they don't really make very good "mashed potatoes" by themselves. I tried making them as "mashed potatotes" just by themselves, and the end product was too watery. But if I mix them with rutabagas (1:2 ratio), then they are fine.

And the rutabagas by themselves (fixed as "mashed potatoes") are great, imho. I don't miss "real" mashed potatoes at all!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 12:50

BF:
Default Addition to my "Potato-like vegetable" post

I forgot to mention how well the rutabagas do when making "potato salad" !!! They are phenomenal! I just make them the same way I used to always make potato salad (mayonnaise, boiled eggs, chopped onions, chopped dill pickles, salt and pepper) and it makes a really yummy potato salad!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 09:54

BF:
Default Well I know I can find turnips but...

I don't think I've ever seen a rutabaga in my stores. Of course if you're not looking for them it's easy to pass them by. There are so many veggies with familiar names that I ignore because I don't know what the heck to DO with them! It's a shame really, but this board is giving me all kinds of new information and ideas.

Thanks! Put rutabagas and turnips on my list.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 10:02

BF:
Default Whoops! For Somersizers...

Found this on the Suzanne Somers site this morning in a discussion about rutabagas.

From Fast and Easy:

"Rutabaga is fairly high in starch and should be included in the Funky Foods. However, it's not as bad as a potato, so if you are doing well on Level One, you could incorporate a little without a problem." (p. 171)
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 13:27

BF:
Angry Yukko! I'm mad at you Jami.

Ok, just teasing, but I did have a bad experience yesterday. Boiled one pot each of turnips and rutabagas and cut them up for mock potato salad. My rutabagas had an awful bitter aftertaste! It spoiled the entire salad. I tried adding some lemon juice, thinking that might neutralize the bitter, but to no avail.

So is it that I just don't like the way rutabagas taste or did I prepare them wrong so that they were bitter? I peeled them and boiled them. The turnips are ok, but very fibrous. Holy cow I had to boil those suckers all darned afternoon to get them soft enough to eat. I take it you need to take more than just the skin off the outer layer, as they seemed softer inside.

Guess I need a quick cooking lesson on these veggies...
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:49

BF:
Default Taste of Rutabagas

Gee, I'm sorry your rutabaga/turnip salad turned out so badly! It is true that rutabagas have a much more "robust" flavor than potatoes. In fact, rutabagas taste a lot like turnips, to me. So if you like turnips, I believe you would like rutabagas also.

I cook them the same way you did: I peel them and dice them into fairly small cubes. Then I boil them in lightly salted water until they pierce with a fork (but not too mushy). Then I rinse them in cold water and let them cool, and then mix them with all the other normal "potato salad" ingredients. I love 'em!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:15

Plan: Somersizing & TSP
Stats: 155/140/128
BF:
Progress: 56%

It may have just been the rutabagas that you bought. Sometime you will get bitter ones. Idealy rutabagas should be harvested after they have gotten frost and that way they get a sweet taste to them. I'm sure in our high demand world of vegetables the supplier doesn't wait for this natural process. Try to buy the smaller ones the larger ones can be a bit woody to at times.

As for the celery root I have also used it to make hashbrowns. I found them a bit sweet but I really enjoyed them. I fried them in some leftover bacon grease from the bacon and eggs I was making. The hashbrowns cook alot faster if they are partially cooked when you start frying them.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 19:32

BF:
Default Thanks Kd

I guess I'll get up my nerve and try the rudabagas again. Small ones, I'll write that down...

Thanks for the tips!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 207/192/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Wow! Just went to the Homestead link you provided and how great to have all those recipes available - especially since SS boards will be cleared Sept. 2nd! Thanks so much