Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-01, 08:06

Plan: Don't have a specific one
Stats: 176/158/125
BF:
Progress:
Default New and help

My name is Andrea and I just found this group. I started on this low carb diet as I have gained almost 50 pounds in the last 4 years- ugh My doctor told me to just start on a low carb diet with no real guidelines. I was on the Atkins diet many years ago and did loose weight, but not easily. Of course, I was years younger then and metobalism was much higher.
I lost about 18 pounds in 4 weeks, but for the last three weeks, nothing. I sometimes eat breakfast, 2 eggs and cheese omelet, drink 2 cups of decaf coffee with half and half, measured so I can count the carbs, then usually do not eat again until late afternoon and that is usually cheese and pork rinds. I then eat dinner later in the evening due to my work schedule and that is usually a meat and a small amount of brocolli and or a small salad. I am not hungary most of the time and have to force myself to eat. I drink lots of water every day. I am really getting very discouraged with no lose in 3 weeks and the real foods that I love are looking better and better. I am not a big meat eater, but love veggies, so this is very hard for me.
Any suggestions as to what I can do to start the weight loss again.
I also try to walk several miles a day, but again due to work schedule, that is not always possible.
Thanks for listening as my husband thinks that this diet is not very healthy and tries to get me to eat other things because he is worried about what I am doing to my body. I just tell him that I have already expanded my body and I have to get this weight off.
Andrea
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-01, 08:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum Andrea!

First, pick up Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and Protein Power and read them both. You need to understand the internal workings of low carb.

From what you wrote in your post, your not eating enough and your body is in "starvation mode" and hanging on to its fat stores.

I think we try to fool ourselves by being happy when we're not hungry because our appetites have been out of control for most of our lives. While lack of hunger is inevitable with low carbing, eating frequent small meals, good fats and protein snacks will keep your calories up without stuffing you. You said you sometimes eat breakfast. On those days you are really not eating enough. Switch from half and half to whipping cream in your coffee.

What about other sources of protein? Fish and seafood, dairy, tofu, more eggs? This is a great way to eat. YOu never have to feel stuck from lack of choice with this WOE.

Karen