Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 10:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/182/135
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default I'm Stunned

Hi:
I started LC about 3 weeks ago, lost 8 pounds very quickly, gained two back and have sat at that point for two weeks, even though I have been carefully following atkins "induction". Being discouraged and wanting to find a way to break through the stall I've been reading posts and articles all morning. I had never heard of PCOS until just this very morning, and after reading about it I think I am developing this in a moderate form and am completely stunned by this information. I have always struggled with my weight, and am very discouraged about how it is not coming off. I have noticed the facial hair thing developing over the past few years and spend far too much time dealing (ineffectively) with that, it is actually a serious problem. I have noticed the skin discoloration thing, and the acne thing. I have 3 kids, and got to the point that I almost bled to death each month during my TOM and ended up having an ablation done almost three years ago. Wonderful procedure....

Anyway, here is my problem - a stupid problem. I know I should go to my wonderful doctor and have tests done etc. etc. but I am currently being treated for injuries sustained in a car accident during August. There is a law-suit pending over the crash (don't worry, I am suing him) and I know that the insurance people are going to see my medical records and I do not want them reading about my weight, my facial hair and my pimples. Can anyone empathize with this?

This is long-winded - sorry... So - can someone please reply and tell me that they have had success with the LC way of life, that the weight will come off and other symptoms improve.

I hope I haven't offended anyone. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 13:34

Plan: My own low carb plan
Stats: 184/142/130 Female 5'6
BF:29%/20%/16%
Progress: 78%

hi Sewcrazy,

I can definitely empathize but at the same time it's very important that you have the appropriate tests run so you can find out if you have PCOS. I was diagnosed this year, along with hypothyroidism last year after having many tests run. I would sometimes go a year without AF and when i did get it it was very heavy. I have tried three different BCP's for PCOS and they all made me extremely moody and tired. I know some people do well on them, some people have IR and go on Metformin.
I am going the natural route right now. I can't tolerate the BCP's and i'm not IR. I take wild yam extract and evening primrose oil, along with many vitamins. I've lost 20 lbs altogether and it's all from low carbing and lots of exercise. I tried low fat and gained and this is the only thing that has worked so far.
So, i guess although i can empthasize with you, i'm sure the people who read your file will not care. It's important that you find out if you have it.

Danyele