Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 10:50

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 190/125/115 Female 5'6
BF:22%
Progress: 87%
Question Where do I start?

Hi everyone,

I just discovered that yeast or Candida is the root of all my problems. Bloating, heatburn, constipation+ loose stools, no energy etc... I could go on forever. I beleive it started when I went on a strong antibotic for my acne.
Where do I start? Should I just start on Oil of Oregano or should I also take a probotic like Primal Defense?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 10:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: 267.4/242.8/170 Female 65.5 inches
BF:too/freakin/much
Progress: 25%

i would like some answers too. i posted in another form and found out that my problems might be from candida. i didnt notice it until i started taking coconut oil. someone said that coconut oil is supposed to be good but i never heard of oregano oil?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 11:55
Registered Member

Plan: candida
Stats: 175/159/135 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 40%

IF candida is your problem the fix is not quick and easy. Oil of Oregano (alone) will not "cure" you. I would get testing done before spending $$ on supplements etc. that will only work in conjunction with a very strict diet. To achive a healthy candida balance it could take a very long (+/-6months).

The oil of oregano could help short term with bloating but it should be taken on the hour with vit c and ester C
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 12:24

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 190/125/115 Female 5'6
BF:22%
Progress: 87%

What kind of doctor should I go to to get tested?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 07:16

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi,

My candida got diagnosed from a naturopathic/homeopathic/traditional doctor. she is fabulous. However, if you already notice having a lot of bloating, constipation, loose stools, etc etc, then maybe you dont need to go get checked out.

The first thing I would do if I were you is to cut out all grains right away and see if maybe its not just a gluten intolerance issue. read up about celiacs disease and see if instead that fits you. gluten free diet is easier than candida kill diet.

if you still think its a candida issue, then get rid of everything but meat, eggs, and veggies. cut out anything with vinegar or mold (peanuts and cheeses). read up on books called Yeast Connection or something like that. Do that for a week or two and see how youre doing. You might start experiencing candida die off syptoms which include a WORSENING OF YOUR OWN SYMPTOMS! you might feel like CRAP for a few DAYS. more diarrhea or constipation, itching of the skin, immense fatigue, general crappiness. If this is true, the PERSEVERE! do NOT eat CARBS or anything not good for you! KEEP GOING! that will mean it is working. yea, it sucks a lot, but its a good thing. Whatever you do, DO NOT EAT SUGAR! SUGAR AND WHEAT PRODUCTS WILL NOT HELP YOU AT ALL, DON'T DO IT!

If you start experiencing die off with JUST DIET then something is going right and you can start adding in some natural antibiotics to help the gut. I personally recommend Zuleikkas oil of oregano/ vitamin C flush. Maybe she'll post on it, but if not, go through some of the other threads where its been discussed (particularly the long ones, one started by skeewaka is good). also, coconut oil is great, melt 1-2 tablespoons in hot water or coffee and drink. You might notice die off symptoms with the coconut oil as well. again, thats a good thing! Taking garlic supplements also is very helpful and will help kill off bad bacteria. To add in good bacteria (something i always forget to do) eat either natural non sugar yogurt (ive heard Stoneyfield is a good brand) or ferment your own (yea, right, i dont do that at all.. ) or you can take different probiotic supplements specifically acidopholus which should help.

All these things can be gotten at GNC. Vitamin C, Ester C, Oil of Oregano, Acidopholus, Garlic. The OOO is pricey, but worth it. The kind I get comes in a bottle with a dropper and i just take about half a droppers worth every morning with water. You might also want to check into a vitamin D deficiency, but again Zuleika is the queen of that. Check through some of the other threads about vitamin D as well.

I started out with all these problems in February and I'm feeling A TON better now. No more constipation or loose stools, I'm fairly regular! No more intense water retention. My moods are better, my brain fog is gone, and I'm a lot more energetic and happy. I really blame it on Vitamin D and iron supplements to be honest (im really anemic), but all in all everything Ive done has helped.

You can get through this!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 19:58

Plan: low carb
Stats: 267.4/242.8/170 Female 65.5 inches
BF:too/freakin/much
Progress: 25%

thanks aetheana!!!
i started to feel funny but the biggest sign was like a white film on my tongue and uhmmm..how to put this nicely.. extra discharge(white and stringy) from the nether region. it all started after i started using coconut oil. i learned the hard lesson about the sugar and bread. had some and thought i was gonna be really sick. i couldnt stay awake. all my energy was gone. i never felt that bad. i actually kicked myself out of ketosis. so now i'm trying to get back into ketosis. i'll heed your advice from now on
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 20:29

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I have been fighting setreme fatigue myself. That along with the usual bad Pms and mood swings. I also have horrible water rention bloating issues all month long. I go from savere consitpation to loose stools too. I was thinking iron diffcency until I noticed a rash under my bra line that was getting worse...red itchy and hurt alittle. I also broke out under my ear area. I am now thinking candida. I am starting at the begining. The only thing I have on hand is coconut oil...and probiotics but they are almost gone. It looks like I have a long way to go...no dr.s here available that are naturopaths.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 05:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi,

I had a lot of bowel issues as well, loose stools, constipation, the whole nine yards. You might want to cut out all grains, at first, to see if its gluten intolerance. I noticed your plan was CAD, so you might be eating a lot of grains and stopping those alone might give you some relief, at least from the whole bowel issue.

If thats not your problem, then you can and will be able to overcome! check out the other threads about oil of oregano and so forth.

Life doesn't have to be a chore!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 13:42

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

Thanks Aetheana. I am actually searching plans and following none at the moment. Trying to do a healthy cad with no refined carbs in it but searching other options. I like lc but can't follow it as well as cad. I will try to eliminate all wheat and white foods for now and see what happens. How much ooo do I take? I can't get to the right thread. Also do you take on an empty stomach or with meals?

Thanks I am soooooooooo Green!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 14:47

Plan: Candida
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Oregano/ Vit C Flush. 3rd day

Hello!

New to this forum. I found it googling for Candida remedies.

I've battled Candida all my life. I recently (last 5 years) put the pieces together (nearly died from pnuemonia at 18 months, they tried 10 very strong anti biotics on me before they got it under control)

It's been worse in recent years as I was a heavy drinker.

So, goat milk Kefir has turned my life around, have real kefir grains and use raw goat milk....but, still having problems especially in the muscles and sinuses of my head. Tingling tickling crawling stinging painful sensations that I"ve had 4 years now. Basically I beleive the candida migrated to my head after going systemic.

So I found the Oregano Vitamin C flush and am on the 3rd day. Mostly I'm taking every hour on the hour during my awake time, but sometimes it's every 2 or 3 hours.

Was scared at first of all the Oregano and maybe having a bad reaction but I'm fine. And stangely enough no loose bowels as can often happen, I've mega dosed Vitamin C in the past and would know my ideal dose once the diarhea happened. Amazed, my body is soaking it up I guess!

I'm taking:
1,000 Amla C Plus from Pure Planet
1,000 Ester C Vegetarian tablets
230 mg Oil of Oregano from Gaia Herbs in the Liquid Phyto caps
(says 2 pills = 460mg, so I take 1 each hour)

Hoping the poster who suggested this flush will respond and/or anyone else who has experience doing this flush.

I'm wondering if my Oregano oil is fine for this flush or if I need to get another one, just about out and it's time to buy some more, seems like it's a good product and should be fine but...thanks for your insights.

So far, like I mentioned, no loose bowels, I feel kinda warm at times, feverish sort of, having die off body pains so last two days were spent on the couch, nothing new to me. My affected head areas seem to be getting zapped by this treatment in a way I've never been able to before, I think this is working and I can finally clear out my head tissues and be normal again!

I've had athletes foot that starts with blisters and very itchy scalp and these sinus/ head and neck muscle issues for a while, the sinus stuff feels like a rashy blister inside my head if not a damn worm sometimes, although I know candida can cause crawling sensations, ugh.....it's been quite an ordeal but I'm grateful I found this site and that post and decided to give it a whirl.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 14:53

Plan: Candida
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Ok, the poster was Zuleikaa

thank you Zuleikaa and I'd love to hear from you on this and if my Oregano Oil should be sufficient.