Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 18:25
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%

i am only taking my Glucophage once a day right now, and i havent had any problems. i felt like you did, i wanted to take it so bad, because i want to get balanced!! if my insulin drops, she probably will keep this like this, but if it doesnt go down enough, i look for her to up it again. someone said that Avantia, and Actos, are about the same, but easier on the tummy, so i least i have something to fall back on. i havent got my cycle yet, i really hope this all works. she did say it could take a couple of months, so i must be patient! i didnt get like this overnight!
thanks!
paige17257
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 274/238/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi, I'm new here but have had PCOS and hypothyroidism for a while. My Dr. found out I was insulin resistance last year and put me on glucophage. On the regular glucophage I had bad stomach sickness so they put me on glucophage XR (extended release). It has been wonderful! They told me to take my full dosage of 3 pills at night and I would lose weight better that way, It's worked so far so you may want to try that.

Why does every Dr. want to put PCOS patients on Birth Control? It doesn't fix the fact that we don't ovulate! I had bad problems with BC so I refuse to take them. Provera doesn't help much, just brings on the period. I'm hoping that losing weight will help!!

Anyway Good Luck!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%
Default HI THERE HARPSEAL

HI,
i think i might ask my doctor about extended release. i dont think 500 once a day, is quite enough to do the trick! and i want this stuff to work. they say that by losing weight, and low carbing, it will help the cycles. my doctor told me , by taking the glucophage and lowering my insulin, my cycles should regulate, so we will see.
about the birthcontrol pill... i felt the same way that you do about it, i hate the side effects, but i have a really wonderful OB, now, that explained the Pill to me this way... seeing that we dont cycle right, we have too much male hormone. by putting us on the PILL, it makes our systems "more female". by regulating our cycles, it will help with weightloss and the male hormone side effects (zits, hairs, etc). she also told me, that it makes your eggs more fertile, by adding the female hormone(the pill), so when you want to try to get pregers, your eggs are more attractive to the sperms. i havent gone on the PILL yet. we are trying to see if low carbing and the glucophage work first. might take a couple of months. if this doesnt work, i might, break down and take it, but i am determined to make this work first. good luck!! i am right there with ya!
paige
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 15:06

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I Don't know where else to post this but I wanted to give my advice in how to take glucophage when you first start it. I also had extreme diahreah with it and knew that I could not stand it for how busy I was(Started it during last holidays). I looked on line to see if there happened to be a way to ease the symptoms and I found an article by a Dr. which mentioned increase the dose slowly over several days. That is what I did. The first week I took 50mg(I was prescribe glucophageXR200mg once a day), the next I went up to 100mg, the next 150mg, and then to the full dose. That method helped greatly, and I was also able to tell how the medication did help me to feel much better with the insulin resistance. I hope this will help someone in the future.
Tanya