Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-00, 23:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question

On one of my newsgroups or support groups someone posted that there is a product you can buy that makes a pretty good winter cereal such as porrage.

I've forgotten what it's called; perhaps it's flax meal. Does anyone have any idea what this would be? With the cold weather here now it would be nice to be able to have a nice hot cereal (low carb of course)

ciao,
Norma June (Barrie, ON)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-00, 11:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Norma June,

I haven't tried this, but it sounds like it might be similar to granola.

Karen

Maple Walnut Cereal

3 cups flax seeds
1 cup sugar free syrup -- maple or other flavor
3/4 cup walnuts -- chopped
1/4 tsp. salt

Stir all ingredients together until thoroughly coated with syrup. Spread over cookie sheet. Bake 5 minutes at 300, stir, bake 5 minutes more until lightly toasted.

Immediately loosen from cookie sheet with spatula. Cool. Serve with a diluted mixture of water and cream. Store in refrigerator.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-00, 12:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool Norma June, I'm with you

cold weather outside = hot porridge inside

Yes, this is one of my weaknesses and cravings too, such a comfort food on blustery winter days. I like Karen's idea, I just copied and pasted it to my recipe file.

Dr. Atkins suggests crumbling a couple Wasa fiber crackers (4 carbs each, after subtracting fiber), mix with a little boiling water or microwave to make a mush, serve with cream and lowcarb sweetener of choice. Add a Tbsp of chopped nuts or crushed flax seeds too. I like cinnamon, I would probably add some of that too!!

I have seen one of the lowcarb sites in the USA advertise a lowcarb "cereal". Anybody know about this?? I'll try to look it up and post here what I find.

I bet crumbling up a piece of Shepherd's Bread, and toasting it would be delicious too!!

Another thing I plan to use is SOY grits. You can buy this at a natural foods store, possibly a bulk food place. Soy grits look and taste just like hominy grits, or couscous if you're familiar with that. They just seem to take a long time to cook, at least to me. I soak it first for an hour, then steam in my rice cooker for about 40 minutes. It really fluffs up, so 1 cup of dry grits gives over 2 cups cooked. So, 1/2 cup of the hot grits would be 11 grams total carbs, minus 4 grams fiber. That's not bad.

Also, if you carefully plan and budget your carbs, an occasional serving of the real thing won't kill your lowcarb efforts. 1/3 cup dry Quaker oatmeal, the quick-cook kind, has 20 grams total carbs and 3 grams fiber. This cooks up to nearly a whole cup of porridge, would be enough for two people. Add some chopped nuts or seeds, some cream and sweetener ... YUMMMM. Natural raw oatbran is another good choice too, and cooks into a very creamy porridge. 1/3 cup dry oatbran has 23 total carbs, but 7 grams of fiber.

I think it's a good idea to plan to have these things once in a while, rather than craving for days and going overboard on a wild binge. Just remember to adjust the rest of your day's carbs accordingly.

enjoy!
Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-00, 21:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%
Talking Porrage Ideas

Thanks people, your suggestions are appreciated. I'll try some of these out and let y'all know if there is anything that is similar to good old fashioned oatmeal (with low carbs)

ciao,
Norma June (Barrie, ON)