Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-01, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198.5/190 :)/130
BF:
Progress:
Default mayo maranade for foods...question!!

i remember from somewhere hearing you can coat a chicken with mayo, bake it...and it acts like a fake "crust" instead of bread crumbs...is that true or is my brain just wanting to to be true?? *L* also, does anyone have a recipe?? i'd try to experiment but knowing me i'd blow up the oven *i blew up our last one..but that wasn't entirely my fault...* *L* thanks all

-Red
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-01, 14:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Red,

It doesn't get crispy like fried chicken, but it gets brown. Try dipping it in mayonnaise then rolling it in coarsely crushed almonds and pork rinds, then bake it. Some people roll it in Atkins type bake mix too. There are a couple of recipes for it in the recipe section.

You should seriously consider resisting the impulse to put a can of lighter fluid in the oven when baking chicken.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-01, 19:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

But isn't that what makes 'em self-cleaning? (Jeez, now she tells me!)

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-01, 19:29
Forum Founder

BF:

Well, a can of butane is better for cleaning!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-01, 19:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default *L* thanks for the tip!!!

also, don't let a can of Pam stay on the oven for a week...unless you want a slip-'n-slide in your kitchen *L* it doesn't go away for months!!!

-Red
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-01, 20:07
Forum Founder

BF:

Wow! Something new and exciting to try with ovens!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 10:23

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

i always coat my chicken w/porkrinds. different seasonings depending on flavour i want. seeing as i'm irish/italian heritage, i do like italian food. i usually do my coating with a lot of fresh parmesan or romano, i've also used asiago (sp?), and oregano. i've browned it and finished it off in the oven and i've done it all in the oven w/olive oil drizzled over. hot oven by the way 400-450. and please put the pam back in the cover. i left a cornelle plate on an "on" element many years ago. it blew up like a bomb. i thanked God that no one was hurt, really!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 22:00
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Talking i look forward to trying that

well, i have one more chicken breast until the next store run!!!! i think i cheated a little today...i ate over at a friend's hosue and had meatballs in some sort of gravy *i'm sure it had carbs* and a bite of a rootbeer float. but i'm still sick so i think i purged it all up anyway and yes, i still have to work. BUT I LOVE IT SOOOO MUCH great bosses, great hours...GREAT FUN!!!! anyway, *L* yes, i moved the pam. *L* hopefully the world is safe for now...

-Red
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 20:19

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 232/175/170
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by debbiedobson
i always coat my chicken w/porkrinds. different seasonings depending on flavour i want. D

Thanks for the info. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Ground Pork rinds as a coating mix for chicken and Pork Chops. Great!!!

Ken T
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 20:59

Stats: 300/248/130
BF:
Progress: 31%

I just used a similar recipe this week for hubby and I, and it was fantastic! Here's the recipe, for anyone that's interested (I altered it a little when I made it, using chicken breasts and pan frying instead of a dutch oven):

FRIED CHICKEN
Serves 4

8 chicken thighs
1 T paprika (I'd use sweet Hungarian)
salt and pepper to taste
1 quart Peanut oil or lard for frying (I'll use the oil!)
3 large egg whites
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. Durkee's Red Hot Sauce
1-1/2 cups crushed pork rinds

Several hours before cooking the chicken, rinse it well, trim off any odd bits, pat dry and rub it with the paprika, salt and pepper. Let marinade in seasonings for at least 2 hours.

Heat oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites in a bowl with the cream and hot sauce. Put the crushed pork rinds in a plate. Dip the chicken pieces first in the egg white mixture, then in pork rinds coating well. When oil reaches 370 degrees, it is ready for frying.

Fry the chicken pieces in two batches, cooking them 10 minutes on each side or turning them frequently, as you prefer. Don't the the temperature go over 375. When chicken pieces are done, remove them to a platter lined with paper towels and immediately salt and pepper them.

PER SERVING:
Protein: 38.9 G
Fat: 33.6G
Carbohydrate: .8G