Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 05:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

We continue to have no problem finding keto foods in Costco and Trader Joe's early senior hours, but spiced it up with take-out from a favorite pub and micro-brewery (daughter is home ). Both are open three weekend days, with only on-line ordering of most popular items, pay by credit card with tip %s, check pick-up time and phone as you arrive in car. Owner came out in mask and handed us a paper bag. We barely slowed to a stop at both places and were back home with hot fresh meal and a cold brew in minutes as there was no traffic...best take-out system ever, wish they would do that all the time The pub has a good supplier of fresh coastal fish, and local meats, so we want him to stay in business.

And a low carb observation that struck me funny this week...N.C. has state run free-standing alcohol stores. 1. It was quite busy for mid-day, mid-week, and 2. I stayed in the car and watched everyone who entered wearing homemade masks, including some bandanas and sunglasses. Two months ago, if the clerk had seen someone covered up by a bandana and sunglasses, he would have called the police.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 05:28

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Two months ago, if the clerk had seen someone covered up by a bandana and sunglasses, he would have called the police.

That occurred to me, too! There are always warnings around Halloween to not wear masks in public places because people might think you're a robber.

My observation during all this is that it's dang hard to keep a husband who is hell-bent on eating carbs and bringing carbs into the house (despite his plea to me to keep him on a low-carb diet). We go to the store once a week, but stagger so that he goes one week and I go the next. That way each of us isolates for about 14 days at a shot.

When I go, I bring home meat, cheese, eggs, etc.

When he goes, he brings home frozen pizza, frozen shrimp, frozen mozzarella sticks, donuts, crackers, cookies.

My approach is to think like a cat. If my cat doesn't see something as "food," I shouldn't either. However, it's hard when all this stuff is in the house and he's always saying, "Want a cookie? Just one? One. Little. Cookie. One cookie won't hurt. Have a cookie."

I'm polite and say, No thanks. He keeps at it. Then I get pissed, tell him I can't eat that stuff without blowing up like a balloon, thank him for asking, but I DO NOT WANT A FREAKIN' COOKIE! Then he gets all bent out of shape.

And then sometimes I just give up and eat whatever it is he's pushing. This morning I had two of those awful packaged powdered sugar donuts after resisting them for 3 days. Were they worth it? Absolutely not. They're pretty bad to begin with, and sitting there for 3 days didn't improve them.

Deep down he supports me in my efforts to avoid the carbs, but he still wants to have his carbs and he wants me to indulge as well.

It really is a struggle, even in the best of times, with no easy answers.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 07:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I feel for you ! Perhaps look at the alternating exposure. Is it really 14 days? I ask because we look at it a bit differently: each time one of us goes out, coming come exposes everyone else. Perhaps eating quality food is a better defense.....so going out is then safer. Perhaps you would be better off if you do all the shopping, which allows you and DH to ditch those cookies.....

......or order online and just pick up......you do the ordering.(grin)

Food for thought.......we are all doing the best we can.

Meat counters seem to be almost normal. The fish counter is empty as is the specialty meat counter. Mobile displays block the meat counter.

See signs limiting specific products getting longer.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Apr-14-20 at 07:47.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 08:10

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Bawdy, I have to agree with Arielle. Whenever one of you goes out, unless that person is super super careful to remove all clothing worn out in public and shower thoroughly before touching anything else in the house OR the other partner, then the stay-at-home partner is getting almost as much exposure as the one who went shopping. Might be better to relieve him of shopping duties....

We took a bit of a drive out along our country roads in our county on Sunday. Didn't leave the car... just wanted to enjoy some of the springtime roadside flowers. We noticed a LOT of rural homes with anywhere from 6 to a dozen or more vehicles parked in the driveways. And occasionally we'd large groups of children out playing... almost none of them wearing any sort of mask. I'm afraid that a lot of families in our county decided that holding their traditional family gatherings for Easter was more important than following the ban on gatherings of more than 10 people. If what I observed in our in our county is indicative of Easter in other areas, I fear that in about 7 to 10 days we're going to start seeing another upsurge in new cases.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 08:54

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
My approach is to think like a cat. If my cat doesn't see something as "food," I shouldn't either. However, it's hard when all this stuff is in the house and he's always saying, "Want a cookie? Just one? One. Little. Cookie. One cookie won't hurt. Have a cookie."

Some years ago my husband was doing the same. I finally asked him why he wanted me to get even fatter & then die. Did he hate me? Did he want my life insurance that badly?

He didn't have an answer, but he stopped the bad food teasing. He still asks if I want things I shouldn't, but that's just because he's kinda stupid about food. My favorite 2 memories were when he brought home food I couldn't eat. The first was angel food cake: "Why can't you eat this? I thought you could eat eggs!" The 2nd was peanut butter cookies: "I thought you could eat peanut butter!"
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 09:48
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I thought Sam's club was closed yesterday because it was a bank holiday so I placed my order in the late afternoon. I was shocked when my entire order showed up at the door before 8 pm.

DH, DearDog and I continue walking together in the sunshine and fresh air three times a day. It's rare that we meet anyone else except other dog walkers. I continue to wear my mask, but in this case to protect myself from pollen.

I'm concerned about the broken food supply chain in the USA and stunned at the amount of produce being thrown away by growers and farmers. We will look back on these days with horror when the protein supply gives out. I'm stocking up on canned fish.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 11:19

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas. Pick-up grocery ordering is very limited where I live. My entire County has just 13 people who tested positive, 7 of which have recovered, only 1 hospitalization (and no need of a ventilator), with no deaths. Since it doesn't matter who goes out in terms of the one who goes out exposes the one who stays home, there's no way I can keep him from going to the store.

He'll go to the dump, and swing by a convenience store to buy some donuts and milk. Or swing by the grocery store to see if they have toilet paper, and buy cookies.

Whoever goes carries along a couple Clorox wipes (one in hand and one in a baggie) and wipes down everything before touching it.

All I can reasonably do is to continually remind him that I can't and don't want to eat those things and to please not buy them. Mostly, I can resist, but sometimes I cave. I suppose that's better than totally caving and giving up.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 12:07

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yup, just do the best you can. Personally I grump at my husband if he brings home junk... I cant resist either. Been hard to get him to reduce the carbs....

Right now asking kids to go low carb to help me.

My husband must work restocking shelves at WM....he wears a mask, gets checked for a temp before a shift..... and shops a the end of his shift when most items are not available. He comes home and showers.

We are eating down the freezer. Fridge is pretty empty. Have three freezers.....trying to see the extra space as a good thing rather than how it really makes me feel: worried and stressed. Full is normal. So to reduce stress, focusing on emptying one freezer do it can be shut off and cleaned. Just writing this my heart is pounding.

I feel for those without food stored and thise that dont have cooking skills.

When DH was sick and we waited for civid test results ONLY I brought him food and he stayed behind a closed door, and vented a window to the outside. He was careful to not contaminate us. Fortunately it was not a flu or covid.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 12:16

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

DH made a run to Costco during Senior hours this morning. Eggs were the main thing we needed, as quantities have been limited in previous grocery orders. The "price of eggs" was $300. That's Costco for you! "While you're there..." turned into a goodly supply of meat and fish, fresh veggies, pork rinds, and Happy Hour beverages. And eggs. They had plenty, but DH got only what we needed.

He used a mask, hand washing, and other sanitizing procedures, but not the "strip search" when he got home. He said Costco was observing safety precautions and the customers were, too.

One of my favorite occupations while at home has been cooking. Tonight is leftover night--a feast of variety!

Everyone be wise. Be safe.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 12:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
DH made a run to Costco during Senior hours this morning. Eggs were the main thing we needed, as quantities have been limited in previous grocery orders.

I wish I could share our excess eggs with you! The hens have gone into overdrive - I have 3 dozen in the fridge right now. We know only one family close to us that doesn’t have chickens, so they get as much excess as they can handle.

I love eggs & could eat them 3 times a day - husband not so much. So I need to get creative to use them up. Lunch will be scrambled eggs (which he loves) & chaffles.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 13:03

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
And a low carb observation that struck me funny this week...N.C. has state run free-standing alcohol stores. 1. It was quite busy for mid-day, mid-week, and 2. I stayed in the car and watched everyone who entered wearing homemade masks, including some bandanas and sunglasses. Two months ago, if the clerk had seen someone covered up by a bandana and sunglasses, he would have called the police.
My sister, who lives in NC, went to the grocery the other day to get some ingredients for Easter. Actually she went to get ingredients for a special cake she wanted to make, a family favorite. Haha, even if I ate cake I can't imagine wanting it badly enough to risk my life to go to the store to get a can of Coco Lopez.

But at any rate, she did wear a mask and said she was in the only one in the store in a mask, and a group of young kids, who presumably had a parent in the store although my sister didn't see one, kept following her around, laughing and pointing at her, and running up and poking her in the back when her back was turned, none of them even close to following social distancing rules!

My Easter dinner was comprised strictly of stuff I already had at home. I made a mixture of LC and non-LC items since my DiL and grandkids did come over to join me for the meal. But even though I ate ONLY the LC items I had prepared (no mac and cheese for me!) I still gained five pounds overnight and have not been able to drop any of it yet. Here's hoping today might be the day.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 13:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
DH made a run to Costco during Senior hours this morning. Eggs were the main thing we needed, as quantities have been limited in previous grocery orders. The "price of eggs" was $300. That's Costco for you! "While you're there..." turned into a goodly supply of meat and fish, fresh veggies, pork rinds, and Happy Hour beverages. And eggs. They had plenty, but DH got only what we needed.
My DiL made a run to Costco yesrterday and bought me a carton of 2 dozen eggs, 4 packages of bacon (all sold together wrapped up in platic wrap) and 2 quarts of heavy cream. She goes through a lot more food than I do since she has the three kids to feed as well as herself, so bought 7 dozen eggs for herself! They were not being limited and she goes through a minimum of 8-10 eggs a day she says. Seven dozen eggs will barely get her through a week. There was also no limit on milk so she bought a bunch of milk. I don't know if there were meat limits or limits on other things. But if you can get plenty of eggs that's a good thing.

After an 18-hour fast I had a 2-egg omelet with cheddar cheese, and 6 slices of bacon, for my lunch.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 13:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I love eggs & could eat them 3 times a day - husband not so much. So I need to get creative to use them up. Lunch will be scrambled eggs (which he loves) & chaffles.
Canned green beans are not a veggie I would normally choose to have. However I made my last trip to Costco on March 4 before all the craziness started and I bought a lot of TP and paper towels, canned tuna, and a 12-pack of canned green beans, for my "emergency" stash,

However I did have my DiL and grandkids over for Easter dinner since they have all been self-isolating. I cooked, a mixture of LC and non-LC food since none of them are LC. They got the mac and cheese, and homemade biscuilts for example. I made a big meat loaf and since I made it there were no carby additives like bread crumbs - just ground beef, riced cauliflower, salt, pepper, eggs, a bit of salsa. I heated up the green beans with a vinaigrette dressing and some sesame seeds sprinkled on top. A small red velvet cake for the kids.

Anyway, when they went home I sent them with the rest of the mac and cheese, biscuits, and cake, and kept the meatloaf and beans for myself.

Last night I had less that a 1/4 cup of beans left and I diced them up small, mixed with 1 egg and 1/2 cup shredded cheese, and cooked two chaffles with that mixture, they came out great. I had a couple smallish slices of the meatloaf left so layered them on a chaffle, added some mayo, put the second chaffle on top, and had me a meatloaf sandwich. I have to say it was pretty darn tasty.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 14:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
But at any rate, she did wear a mask and said she was in the only one in the store in a mask, and a group of young kids, who presumably had a parent in the store although my sister didn't see one, kept following her around, laughing and pointing at her, and running up and poking her in the back when her back was turned, none of them even close to following social distancing rules!

A similar thing happened to our nephew. He has cystic fibrosis, so wears a mask when he goes out. He said people old enough to know better were pointing at him & laughing.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-20, 14:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
... and a 12-pack of canned green beans, for my "emergency" stash,

Me too - I have a couple of cans in the pantry. I know they won't get eaten until we actually run out of other vegetables. Kind of like the pickled pigs feet Mom kept in her pantry.

When I do heat up a can, I doctor it a la James Beard with butter and almonds. Not bad that way.