Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 07:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/283/250 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb For or Against a Diet Fast??

Well recently I have been trying the meat and egg fast...the first week i did it i lost 9 pounds! right after I went on a 5 day binge..and gained back 5 pounds.....so i went back on the fast...and lost the 5 pounds again...then i was reading a board...and people were saying that a fast isnt good for your metabolism..and that they are unhealthy and all that...so i want you guys opinion?
Diet Fast....Yes..or No??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 07:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
right after I went on a 5 day binge..and gained back 5 pounds...

I think you've sort of answered your own question. The more extreme your dieting, the more likely you are to follow it up with a binge.

If you're talking about fasting in the context of... say, doing a liver cleansing fast for a few days, that's different. That has a different mentality behind it. But white-knuckling it to try to force your body to lose weight? Sounds nice in theory when you're planning it, but it's usually better to just stick to a sensible, satisfying WOE while you're losing.

MHO.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 07:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Hi Nikki,

I would (and do ) suggest to anyone contemplating a fast that they read this post by Lisa N first: Wait! Before starting a stall-buster, read here.

Cheers,

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 07:19

BF:

actually i wasnt in a stall i was losing good...the thing was i wanted to lose x amount of pounds by x date and the fast gave me quick results....i dont plan on staying on it forever.....like this one person has been on it for 16 days...i just do it to get to my weight and then i switch back to induction.....and as for the binge....i dont think it was because of my fast....because the day after i was done with the fast i went back to induction...but then the next day i was going through a lot of stress and im an emotional eater so i just did a emotional eating binge...and just couldnt get myself back on track until i got my emotions stable
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 07:28
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

The fat fast is a tool. It is just like any other tool. It can be used properly or improperly. It may or may not be the right tool for the job you wish to accomplish. You may or may not understand how to use the tool correctly. A friend may have lent you the tool but not the instructions on how to use it. You may be using the tool for the wrong reasons.

Debbie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 08:20

BF:

yeah i understand what your saying...i dont know i like the fast
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 08:25

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:

You know, I just did the meat and egg fast and Kristine was right about going to an extreme and then bingin afterwards, at least that's what happened to me! I was doing so good from Thursday and then by sunday, pooF! I sucked back, like, at least 5 LC popsicles, at 10 in the morning! oops! So I think that I won't be doing another fast, besides, it was for 3 days or so and I didn't see much of a change in weigh or inches.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 10:23

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

Miisskimbee, could you be any more beautiful?!? I love that picture!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 10:58
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I agree that the fat fast is a tool, but one ONLY suited to the extremely metabolically resistant, as stated by Dr Atkins in his book. When i see people using it or the "meat and egg fast" as a crash diet, or as part of an odd cycle of harsh fasting and binging (which starts to sound an AWFUL lot like bulimia to me) it sets my teeth on edge.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 12:00

BF:

see the rules are diffrent from everyone...i heard you have to be on it for atleast a week to see results and then someone else said that the longest you should go is five days....i think this is gonna be the last time i try this fast
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 12:14
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care

Whoa, guys! There seems to be some confusion here. The OP said she was on a meat and egg fast and suddenly there is talk about Dr. A's fat fast--two completely different things.

The fat fast is low calorie and pretty low protein, definately not for use by anyone who isn't metabolically resisitant--there are worries about your metabolism slowing from such a low calorie approach.

The meat and egg fast is a totally different thing--at least the way I've done it, there are no restrictions on portion size or calories, it's just a near 0 carb diet. As far as carbs go there is biologically almost no difference between that and Atkins induction.

I submit that as long as a person is taking their supplements the meat and egg fast isn't dangerous at all--unless you think induction is bad for you too.

Just my 2 experienced cents there
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I second Mio's observation. Especially that there's not much difference between the meat and egg thing and induction, so I don't know why anyone would bother. Just do induction.

That said, I've been on a meat and egg thing (you couldn't call it a fast) for about six months now, albeit not for fat-loss reasons. I appear to be in excellent health.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 12:30

BF:

well they say its bad because on meat and eggs you cant have veggies....i dont know i think it works better for me then induction...i dont know
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 16:06
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

According to Dr A, there's no real benefit to going below 20 grams of carbs. There are a variety of nutrients in veggies that I don't personally believe you can get from a pill, as well as the fact that filling up on veggies helps keep your calories in check.

The posts I've been reading about people taking extreme measures have me worried, since by their own admission, they often haven't really given induction a chance to work, or are hitting the 3rd week stall, etc... It seems some people don't really CARE if it's safe or not, they just want to lose faster at any cost.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 16:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:

[QUOTE=potatofree]According to Dr A, there's no real benefit to going below 20 grams of carbs. There are a variety of nutrients in veggies that I don't personally believe you can get from a pill, as well as the fact that filling up on veggies helps keep your calories in check.
/QUOTE]

I have done a 3 day veggy diet/fast and I have to say i did get allot of benifits from it.
I incorparated chicken into the 4th and 5th day and had lots of energy.....felt really good and didnt go hungry.
Tons of options too.