Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-24, 18:31

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Can the Ketogenic Diet Treat Mental Illness?

https://www.medpagetoday.com/specia...features/108857

Quote:
"There have to be randomized trials before we can make enthusiastic and evidence-based treatment recommendations," Drew Ramsey, MD, a nutritional psychiatrist and member of the American Psychiatric Association, told MedPage Today. "That said, I'm hopeful and optimistic that patients are going to have more tools to treat their mental health disorders."

The USDA My Plate was forced on people without any randomized trials.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-24, 09:32

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

From Nina Teicholz, Unsettled Science:

Quote:
Medical revolutions often start with anecdotes: A physician stumbles on a therapy for an intractable disorder and publishes a “case report.” Other such reports follow, and if the therapy continues to work, then it’s time for clinical trials, weighing any benefits against potential harms as well as the existing standard of care. If the intervention is a drug, the pharmaceutical industry will cover the expenses. If it’s a diet, we hope to have benefactors.

The ketogenic diet for serious mental illness is now on that track, and we’re fascinated to see how far it goes. First there were several case studies¹ showing that depression and schizophrenia could be reversed using a ketogenic diet; then, in 2022,a pilot trial with very promising results. Now, Harvard’s McLean Hospital has announced that it will be running a clinical trial testing the effect of ketogenic diet therapy on bipolar or schizoaffective disorder.

Some 50 newly diagnosed patients will be randomized to drug therapy plus a ketogenic diet or drug therapy and a diet based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The patients will be tracked for 12 weeks to see how the diets affect their metabolism and, of course, their mental state. Some $2 million in funding for the trial is coming from the Baszucki Family Foundation, an entity created by the Roblocks founder David Baszucki and his wife, Jan, whose son with bipolar disorder was considered “treatment resistant” for years until a ketogenic diet was recommended–and, amazingly, reversed his condition. This story was the subject of a lengthy Today Show segment this week. Details of the new trial can be found on Clinicaltrials.gov.

1. Cox N, Gibas S, Salisbury M, Gomer J, Gibas K. Ketogenic diets potentially reverse Type II diabetes and ameliorate clinical depression: a case study.Diabetes Metab Syndr. (2019) 13:1475–9. 10.1016/j.dsx.2019.01.055;
Phelps JR, Siemers SV, El-Mallakh RS. The ketogenic diet for type II bipolar disorder.Neurocase.(2013) 19:423–6. 10.1080/13554794.2012.690421;
Saraga M, Misson N, Cattani E. Ketogenic diet in bipolar disorder.Bipolar Disord.(2020) 22:765. 10.1111/bdi.13013;
Sarnyai Z, Palmer CM. Ketogenic therapy in serious mental illness: emerging evidence.Int J Neuropsychopharmacol.(2020) 23:434–9. 10.1093/ijnp/pyaa036

Last edited by Demi : Fri, Feb-23-24 at 09:38.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-24, 12:48

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
https://www.medpagetoday.com/specia...features/108857

The USDA My Plate was forced on people without any randomized trials.

I don't know exactly how far back the USDA MyPlate goes, but in their 2014 evidence review there were at least a handful of trials that informed their conclusions, though certainly the vast majority were prospective cohort studies.

More of both types of studies were then captured in their 2020 evidence review, but the majority were still observational there as well.

I get what you're saying, the number of RCTs incorporated into USDA recommendations is definitely small, but it's not quite as small as zero.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-24, 12:55

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

New trials are planned looking into ketogenic diets.

Personally, ive noticed better cognative function by going more carnivore.....and stopping dairy, and veggies. Saddly.

In the USA ,our grains and veggies get multiple sprayings with fungicides and pesticides.....yet who talks about the health impact on people, especially the human gi.. Im trialing an elimination diet n=1. Starting with several weeks on carnivore. On day two and already feeling better.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-24, 05:45

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I quit eating yogurt a few weeks ago and my clogged sinuses quickly cleared up. It had been my go-to snack and quick lunch.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-24, 07:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I quit eating yogurt a few weeks ago and my clogged sinuses quickly cleared up. It had been my go-to snack and quick lunch.

I just did a buttermilk test.

Once I felt good, and no buttermilk for a day or two, added 1/2 cup at yesterdays lunch. ( otherwise only eggs,and steak and salt) . By bedtime congestion was setting in. Horrible night sleeping, or not sleeping. Mouth breathing. Trying to maintain more upright position. Lots of sliding down and pushing back up to near sitting position.

Otherwise my brain is more lucid than I expected for such poor sleep. Likely a few days on meats is helping ketone levels.
Buttermilk is not good for me.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-24, 10:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The sad thing is that people with mental illnesses often lack the ability to stick to a strict diet. It isn't easy for those of us without extra challenges. I know people I'm sure that would benefit, but it would be useless to suggest it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-24, 12:34

BF:

Nancy,sometimes progress is baby steps.

I learned about DANDR before my children were born. I credit low carb with two pregnancies and eating higher quality food during pregnancy.

I threw out the 300g carb , 3 snacks a day meal plan from dietitian, who I had an appoint due to gestational diabetes.

My kids started with cheerios but then I served leftover dinner for breakfast. No school lunches, only brown bag: cheese sticks, apple, yogurt.

Kept bots active, in one sport, soccer. Let them be boys playing outside.

Oldest has made it thru 4 years of university despite Asperger's and ADHD diagnosis. He used the food skills to pick better quality food as he knows food affects his function.

After talking with him last night, I realize his verbal/ conversational skills actually seem normal.

It took 20 years to get to this point.

Keep trying. Keep testing options. If you fall off the wagon , get back on. If you fall ten times, get up ,11 times.

Cry as needed, then go stand in the sunshine.

This is a process...... hugs
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-24, 03:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The sad thing is that people with mental illnesses often lack the ability to stick to a strict diet. It isn't easy for those of us without extra challenges. I know people I'm sure that would benefit, but it would be useless to suggest it.

I agree that if someone is otherwise fairly functional, it would be a hard sell - unless they hit that "fed up" point like a lot of us here were to try this "crazy" diet in the first place. It seems a lot of the early adopters (for the lack of a better term) have exhausted all other avenues of treatment. Example: Dr Chris Palmer's patient Tom. The guy was in his 30s and still had to be cared for (presumably) by his dad. It's certainly worth a try, considering it's practically free, involves no pharmaceuticals, and has little or no side effects. I think every patient should be presented with all of their options.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-24, 05:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Oldest has made it thru 4 years of university despite Asperger's and ADHD diagnosis. He used the food skills to pick better quality food as he knows food affects his function.

I'm the same way. I'm officially of two minds! But I think it's a good thing: the combo comes up in 70% of Spectrum women, it is theorized. Don't know about males. But they got the whole Spectrum so wrong, for so long, all these labels can be less help than they seem.

Autistic traits can be too set in their ways, and ADHD is all over the place, but AuDHD is just right

And he's right. Increasing my protein and fat until plants dwindled in the rear view mirror felt so WRONG, and yet my body said it felt so RIGHT, and I have to listen to my body. While I used to wrestle with that sense of wrongness, no longer. That's all marketing, including my grandmother trying to get me eating vegetables

Between my unique nervous system and a life of brain work, I think I might need more protein than the average person. Then add in how much I'm trying to heal from.

My doctor prescribes protein
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-24, 05:18

BF:

In terms of mood, I remember so many of us getting through the cravings and getting relief from depression, anxiety, and fatigue.

Eating better started the process. Currently I treat my cortisol resistance with niacin, a neurohormone, and L-theanine, a neurotransmitter. It works far better than any psychiatric drug I've tried.

Being undiagnosed led to a lifetime of stress. For many people, all they need would be a good diet for them.

Another key insight that came to me: silencing those blood sugar swings did a lot of the work in my first month on Atkins. I definitely have mood improvement on a low carb diet, and I continue to do so.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-24, 04:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Adding another study on diet and depression.
Dietary Nutrient Deficiencies and Risk of Depression (Review Article 2018–2023). https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/15/11/2433

Quote:
"Deficiencies in nutrients such as protein, B vitamins, vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, selenium, iron, calcium, and omega-3 fatty acids have a significant impact on brain and nervous system function, which can affect the appearance of depressive symptoms."

I often wonder how much of the explosion in depression and mental illness is due to the decrease in critical nutrients in our food system.

Jumping into carnivore based only on ribeyes and ground meat, provides some important nutrients but not all. It is worth tracking nutrients for a week to learn the nutrient density of whatever version of "keto" you are eating.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-24, 12:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Pilot study shows ketogenic diet improves severe mental illness

A small clinical trial led by Stanford Medicine found that the metabolic effects of a ketogenic diet may help stabilize the brain.

For people living with serious mental illness like schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, standard treatment with antipsychotic medications can be a double-edged sword. While these drugs help regulate brain chemistry, they often cause metabolic side effects such as insulin resistance and obesity, which are distressing enough that many patients stop taking the medications.

Now, a pilot study led by Stanford Medicine researchers has found that a ketogenic diet not only restores metabolic health in these patients as they continue their medications, but it further improves their psychiatric conditions. The results, published March 27 in Psychiatry Research, suggest that a dietary intervention can be a powerful aid in treating mental illness.

“It’s very promising and very encouraging that you can take back control of your illness in some way, aside from the usual standard of care,” said Shebani Sethi, MD, associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences and the first author of the new paper.

Read in full here.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-24, 12:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Washington post Added a story about this study in latest news section.

High-fat keto diet may help people with serious mental illness

https://wapo.st/3U4P72o
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-24, 04:13

BF:

For instance, now bi-polar is seen as a neurodivergent condition which worsens under stress, instead of a "disorder" they can medicate.

Carrie Fisher might have been a tragic martyr to this misunderstanding. Patty Duke developed it after an abusive childhood. Now that we are understanding the neurodiverse nervous system, we see that any deviation from the norm can, after all, be normal.

Being the trifecta of these conditions myself (autistic/gifted/ADHD) I can say that my condition has improved very much on carnivore, as so many autoimmune folks have experienced. And I've discovered this condition is very common in the ND community.

We might NEED the ketones more. All brains work better in ketosis, but getting there, for the neurodiverse, might even need lower carbs to get there, compared to someone with a neurotypical nervous system. That's been studied extensively, simply by force of numbers.

Also, these conditions DO NOT include psychopathy, which more and more is about a brain area congenitally unable to develop fully, and in some cases this stunts their whole brain and leads them into criminal activity. But in other cases, they are undetectable except by brain scan.

And the ultimate irony of all this is that neurotransmitters, the stuff I use to treat myself because psychiatric drugs don't work on me, were the next step in research.

But the drug companies could make money on THAT. So they came up with drugs to mimic the effect, but they were not the magic pill we were looking for.

My point is I don't need to be medicated for any of my issues. Food really is my medicine.