Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 20:33

Plan: n/a
Stats: 217/217/168 Male 177.8
BF:
Progress:
Default New to this

First off just want to say Hi

I have been reading a bit about the Atkins Diet,and a lot of the recipes i see are a bit whoosh over my head,

Please dont laugh, but is it possible to buy straight from supermarkets ready made low carb meals that i can just throw in the microwave or the oven,

Reason i ask is im a MAN im hopeless at making meals from scratch,

I read up on a guy who went on the atkins diet and he said like what i thought that you can just eat meat and nothing else but apparently you cant,so any insight would be appreciated.

thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 04:09

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Welcome to the forum

Though as far as I know we canot buy ready to heat/eat lowcarb meals in UK, if you check labels you might find some that fit the allowed foods list for Atkins induction.

Otherwise you don't really need to be a chef to cook lowcarb meals.

Anyone can open a pack of mixed salad leaves, cut up a few radishes or red peppers and lay them on a plate with some oil/vinegar dressing or mayo (read labels to find one without sugar).

Or put a pile of frozen brocolli, cabbage or brussels sprouts into the microwave and zap for a few minutes.

You can even buy ready prepared veg like cauliflower, green beans, cabbage, onions etc to boil, oven bake or sautee in butter.

Men usually feel they can grill/barbeque most meats better than their other halves from what I have seen, so no problems there I imagine.

If time is a factor then buy a slowcooker and just throw meat/veg in it with a little water and spices and turn it on in the morning so you can arrive home to a house filled with the aroma of a deliciously tender roast/casserole dish.

Buy an egg cooker to allow you to cook 6 or more eggs at a time so you can have hardboiled ones available at any time to toss into a salad or mash up the yolks with some mayo/mustard/chilli flakes for devilled egg snacks.

Check the list of ingredients of precooked roasted chickens to use for salads or heat up in the microwave or oven, or to cook with curry paste (again check labels for sugar/starches in ingredients) and serve over cooked cauliflower, green beans etc.

If you have a conventional oven just wrap any raw meat/fish in a foil parcel with butter/spices/veg and seal tightly and throw in the oven to cook - no mess to clean up - and a moist succulent meal in half an hour or so depending on size.

You could at the same time put some veggies coated with oil in a baking dish and roast them.

Just choose meats and veggies you like and have a play - who knows, you might discover you are the next Jamie Oliver!!

Last edited by Elizellen : Sun, May-13-12 at 10:44.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 04:10

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

And I don't know old you are, but most of us women love a guy who can cook!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 10:06

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Welcome to the forum. My husband can't cook either but he is doing great on Atkins. His favorite thing besides meat on the grill is mashed cauliflower. Boil it till its soft, drain, mash (he drains off a bit of the extra water that comes out when you mash it), add butter and eat. Couldn't be easier.

And a lot of the prepared food at the market has nutrition labels on them so picking low carb items is now so much easier, just watch for the serving suggestion size.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 10:16

Plan: n/a
Stats: 217/217/168 Male 177.8
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for you replys really helpful