Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 21:52

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Changes in BG - Is there a difference?

Maybe this will make sense - is there a difference in the changes in you BG nunbers or just as long as its in "normal ranges". Example - one time before a meal my BG was 78, after the meal it had gone up about 25 points to 103. Different time it was say, 103 but only went up to 110 (only a 7 point change). Both still good readings (I hope we agree there) but is it worse having that bigger jump, the 25 points, than the smaller 7 point jump, or is it just the bottom line with blood sugars - as long as it is in "normal ranges"?

I realize this may be a crazy question, but I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about this - especially considering I'm trying this without the metformin right now!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 22:48

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I think you want to keep the swing as small as possible. I read a lot but do not talk too much. I have been following you . Great job!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 23:02

BF:

Thanks, newlowlc. thats what I'm wondering. It hit me the other day when I saw a reading like that. Even though it was stil only around 100, it was a 20 point jump though.

Anyway thanks for the feedback!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-15, 11:05
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

As far as I'm concerned, so long as my BG stays out of the danger zones (too high for long periods of time or too low) - then I'm good. When I first started measuring BG a few months ago, I often got readings above 140 after a meal -- but it was back down to normal within 2 hours. I also had a few 'mistakes' that caused my BG to spike above 200 and then crash to below 70 within 30 minutes of eating. For me, that spike, crash, and low BG episode is a recipe for craving carbs. It was not a satisfying meal. When I keep my BG more stable by how and what I eat, the meals are more satisfying and last longer before hunger strikes again. So that is what I shoot for.

I have my next A1C scheduled for March. I'm looking forward to see how I've done. In the past few weeks, my average BG has been around 93 - including a fasting BG, a pre Dinner reading, and 4 post dinner readings. I get plenty of readings in the 80's and seldom go above 110 on a post dinner BG check. I'm hoping this will translate into an A1C at or near 5.0. The one I had last march was 6.9 (and included the first 5 weeks of LCHF eating) and last June it was 6.0 after eating LC for another 3 months.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-15, 11:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Probably too many variables than one could account for. Things like:

Meters that get different readings from one time to the next (they are allowed to have a 10% swing).

Stress.

Exercise.

Time of day.

How well you slept, or didn't.

How much you ate.

How much protein was in your meal.

And a dozen other factors we probably don't know about. As long as it stays under 140, you're probably doing very well!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-15, 21:21

BF:

Thanks for the replies - my 30 day average has been 98 so far but not much of that has been more than just my mornibg reading. I stay mostly in the 95-105 range no matter when I check it. I get the occasional 90 or 87. I guess it's good that my numbers are consistent but I want them consistently below 100 if I can!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-15, 05:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

An average of 98 when you started at 192, and now without any meds, and a 120 pound weight loss....you are an amazing success story in every way possible!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-15, 08:56

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

FYI, I have found that as I am IFing, my morning glucose is going down while PPs are staying the same and occasionally slightly higher.

So I'm having the same sort of increase in the swing from high to low, as you and the average is coming down. From what I've read, I would agree with Nancy that as long as Fasting Glucose is 100 or below (the lower the better) and PPs <140, all is OK.

However, if you find something that indicates that contradicts that assumption, I'd be interested to know. I'm going to meet with my doctor on Feb 4 specifically to discuss blood sugar and I will ask her about that.