Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/224/170
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default 2 Months on Atkins - Blood Results Better and Bad

Well, yesterday I had my first Atkins blood tests done and on Friday I go to the Dr. I'm sure he'll have a few words for my woe. I'm hoping that since some things have improved, I'll get another two months to see how things continue, but I'm expecting either more meds or a strong warning to stop Atkins.

The results are mixed and I know I will need to make some changes to how I am eating. Here's the picture:

Before Atkins Numbers 2 Months on Atkins
HBA1C: 7.2 HBA1C: 5.8
Cholosterol: 269 Cholesterol: 238
Triglycerides: 676 Triglycerides: 131
HDL: 43 HDL: 44
LDL: 93 LDL: 168
BP: 140/90 BP: 120/73

The before numbers were as of 5/28/2002. I was on weight watchers and switched to atkins on 5/28/2002. I have now lost a total of 38 pounds (haven't budged in two weeks).

On 5/28/2002 the doc put me on lopid (600mg before breakfast and 600mg before dinner) to lower by triglycerides. I also take prinivil 10mg/day for high bp and 500 metformin in the am and 500 in the pm, an aspiring per day, and a bunch of supplements:
calcium/magnesium/zinc, chromium, alpha lipoic acid, milk thistle, vitamin c, fish oil, vitamin e, folic acid and a good multivitamin.

Any suggestions on changing eating or any other part of my lifestle to work on my HDL, LDL and cholesterol are greatly appreciated...I love my life and family and would like to be here for a lot longer.

Here's a basic of what I eat:

Breakfast:
1 egg
2 sausage patties or three bacon
1 piece of cheese

Lunch:
Salmon or Tuna (canned with mayo and celery)
Spinach with cheese and olive oil and vinegar dressing
psyllium slush (doesn't that sound great...yuck)

Snack: 1/4 cup almonds, pumpkin seeds or macadamia's

Dinner:
Shrimp, scallops, Salmon, sometimes beef (fried in olive or coconut oil), sometime chicken fried in olive or coconut oil
Brocolli foo young (brocolli slaw, green onions, egg white, fried in olive or coconut oil)

Snack:
cream cheese mixed with splenda and a dash of dry cocoa

I use an eliptical runner 5 days a week, 1 day per week a strenous bike ride and 2-3 days a week resistance training.

JBee
Sponsored Links