Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 14:25

Plan:
Stats: 182/179/140
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Hullo

I have only just started on a low carb diet, I am on day 6 of the Atkins diet, I think I am going ok, but seem to be losing weight very slowly so far. I need a bit of morale support I think as I am feeling a bit low on energy. I have been testing my urine with ketone sticks and they where purple, but for some reason today the test went back to pink. But I am definately going to keep going on this as I have heard so many good things about it. I need to lose about 14 lbs all up to reach my goal. I am also finding it a bit strange eating so much meat as only a week ago I only ate small amount of chicken and fish and never ate red meat. I NEVER ate any butter or cream or fat of any kind, so find it hard trying to introduce this into my diet. Anyway if anyone can give me some positive feedback that would be great...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 14:34

Plan:
Stats: 238/195/170
BF:
Progress:

Hi Monique and welcome. It's great to have another Kiwi on board! I have been on the Atkins program for almost four months now and have lost 40lbs. What a difference it has made to my life!
If you're looking for encouragement and support and good advice, you've come to the right place. The folks here are just wonderful and have helped me through a bumpy patch.
Keep posting, will look forward to hearing of your progress.
Elaine
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 14:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Monique, welcome aboard. We're glad to members from all over the world!

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 18:18

Plan:
Stats: 143/141/130
BF:
Progress:
Default Welcome

Hi Monique,
I have just joined here too and am from Australia.

I also have around 14lbs to lose. I have been on the low carb program for 2 weeks.

The first week I felt terrible for a week! Lacking in energy, couldn't exercise to the extent that I normally do etc.

But happily, I can report that in the 2nd week it all changed and I had and still do have heaps of energy and don't get hungry.

The first week is definitely a massive adjustment and lack of energy is part of it, but it will pass!

I, like you, hardly ever ate red meat. I am amazed at the carbs I used to eat. Toast for bfast, roll for lunch, pasta for dinner. Scarey!!!

I also found the ketone sticks wavering. It depends on how much water you drink as well. If you are having heaps of water the reading can be quite weak. When are you testing? I've been told to test first thing in morning or just before dinner.

Keep at it. No diet has ever worked for me but this really works! I lost 2% body fat in a week and heaps of cms. Given I only have around 6kg to lose I was quite happy!!

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 19:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

monique and kelsie, i had low fat down pat. i was eating low fat for 10 years and gained 20lb trying to lose weight! my diet consisted of beans, legumes, pasta, veg, and the occasional fish or poultry. oh i forgot lots and lots of really fine bread! turning a complete 180 is difficult at first. i hardly ever miss my lowfat ways. what i miss the most are lentils. i loved lentils!! when i finally hit maintenance, i'll eat them again occasionally. they are very high in fibre, so i'll subtract that then! oops! i kind of wandered off topic! the point i was trying to make is that your body will adapt so easily to this new way of eating (WOE). you'll find it easier and easier to make lowcarb choices. make sure that you have a good carb counter handy. try and buy "corrine netzer's complete book of food counts, 5th edition". i refer to it all the time.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 03:57

Plan:
Stats: 182/179/140
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks for your support

Thanks for your support Kelsie Debbie and Elaine

Today is my 7th day on this, and I feel a bit more energetic, I even think I might go out and do some exercise later! Unfortunatley I still haven't lost much weight, infact on the scales I seemed to have gained this morning, which is a bit of a downer but I think the first week will be the hardest, and I think I am metabotocally resistant.
Anyway its good to hear that you guys are having success on this and it makes you feel really great, I am looking forward to the same thing for me...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 06:01

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

Kia ora Monique

Forget the scales - mine make me so angry I could smash them. They are all over the place, everytime I get on them lately I want to do myself harm, they really bum me out. Pay attention to your clothes instead - I dont know why or how but my clothes sizes are dropping rapidly.

Find something that used to be a bit tight, leave it until the end of induction and try it on. You'll probably be very pleasantly surprised. Also with only 14lbs to go whatever woe you follow, fat doesnt fall off quickly not like when you've got 100lbs to go.

I'm masquerading as an Aussie these days but I was born in Rotorua, made a run for it, lived in London for 15 years, regularly rocked it up in Dublin (one of my all time favourite places) and then eventually came to rest here. Melbourne is quite a lot like London (Dublin even?) but without the hassle.

Anyway, good luck to you. Kia kaha.

Nicola
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-12-01, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/161/141
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Ketone Loss

Monique,

Welcome aboard. I am about 2 months into this now and still refer to my ketone sticks on a daily basis. I find that as long as they turn a colour that is proof enough for me. You are still in Ketosis and that is all that matters in keeping the weight coming off.

Good luck.

Joanne