Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-16, 21:11

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default tomato sauce and curry sauce?

Which brands do you use?

The ones I've bought are rather high in carbs so I'd like to find some that are lower!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-16, 00:01

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I like this one. It has 2 gr per table spoon. I usually use 1 tea spoon and count 1 carb. I'll see if I can get a picture of the back ingredients but they are typical Thai green curry paste (store bought)

Or you can pound out your own. Hard work but worth it!

I have not messed around with tomatoes yet. Too many carbs for for my current plan plus I wouldn't know what to put it on. I can't imagine putting it on shirataki noodle, blech.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-16, 00:26

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

You're right to wait on tomatoes because they are higher carbs.

I like to use canned crushed tomatoes/onions/garlic/bay leaves with beef for brazing but also do that mix and add celery and that combo makes a great a sauce for shrimp .
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-16, 10:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Mae Ploy is also a good curry paste brand.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-16, 10:21

BF:

Nancy, Thanks for that reminder! I've read good things about this one and have been meaning to try it. I'll will pick some up this weekend if I can't remember. I'm out of my brand.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-16, 15:04

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thanks all, I need to get this together. I did buy some tomato sauce, my first since on this plan, and it was perhaps a mistake as it is high carb. Should I just freeze it for later?

Thud, I did have 1/4 cup of it yesterday on some Miracle Rice (I was out of pasta) and I also added some "Rawmesan" which is a dairy free parmesan from the Health Food store and I really enjoyed it, but I LOVE those noodles. I now eat them about 4 times a week. Can beat 0 calories and 0 carbs!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-16, 19:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would buy Hunt's for tomato sauce. It has no added sugar, but it's pretty bland and you need to jazz it up. I usually just make my own with canned tomatoes, paste, etc. I try to stick with a thick, meaty recipe to keep the carbs to a minimum.

I like Maesri curry paste as well as Thai Kitchen. I can't say I'm a connoisseur, but I've been happy with both.

If you're talking about Indian curry and not Thai, I usually make my own with cream, coconut milk, curry powder, sometimes tomato paste... depends on what else is in the curry. There are lots of jarred Indian sauces available at a big grocery store near me now; I'm going there tomorrow and I'll try to remember to read the labels. I'm curious myself. I seem to remember most of them having too much added sugar and/or starch, though.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-16, 20:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I am kind of in favor of tomato paste, because you can use so little and get so much flavor from it. There are three carbs in a tablespoon, which is enough for an entire recipe.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 14:47

BF:

Trying this one right now for lunch. I took a taste and it's nice. Not too spicy but I can fixed that - flavor is really good, you can taste the different stuff in there. Good buy too!

#10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 15:08

BF:

That was quick! Here it is with pork

#11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 16:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Looks nice as usual, Thud.

So I did scout all kinds of different Indian style ready-made curry sauces. Every brand and variety of was pretty high in carbs from sugar and/or starch. The lowest I saw were the butter chicken sauces at about 10 g per 1/2 cup, but you'd still be better off making your own, methinks. If you want a little bit of sweetness in it, you can use Splenda or other sweetener.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 18:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Green curries are Thai, Kristine, and seem to be, for the most part, much lower in carbs.

Next time I make it to Target, I'll write down the name of the box kit for green curry I made the other night. It really was tasty.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-16, 10:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

yummmm!

love curries

whole foods carries a pumpkin one i want to make myself (it is super overpriced).

for tomato sauce, i also often make my own with crushed tomatoes, garlic, salt, basil, a touch of splenda....

for convenience we also keep jarred around for super lazy nights (usually sausages and sauce or chicken baked in sauce with lemted cheese and parm).
I used to buy Rao's, which has 3 or 4 carbs per 1/2 cup. But now i discovered the Giant store brand "simply enjoy" has only 2 net carbs, plus 2 fiber per half cup in the basil variety- and costs less than 1/2 what rao's does!
taste is great, too.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-16, 10:31
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

For indian curries, you're better off going for spice pastes or dry spice mixes and then it's easy to assemble a sauce:

Fry the paste or dry spices to activate them and bring out the flavour, add the meat and brown it in the spices, you can also add chopped onion if you want, but I don't due to GI issues. For a creamy korma I then add chopped ginger, almond flour and fry for a minute or two (you should also add garlic, but again I can't eat it), then add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a cup of water and then simmer on low for an hour and a half, then add coconut cream and simmer for another hour and a half. Serve with cauliflower rice and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 05:04

BF:

I've been using some Jamaican hot curry powder and adding it to stirfry type dishes and making gravy. Turning out real tastey and hardly a carb in site, lots of tumeric. I'll find and post the ingredients if interested.

here's some with breakfast sausage and bean sprout: