Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 13:52

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%

Hi everyone
Just checking in.
I've had leg pain but not often, but when I do it's horrible.
Never attributed it to MP. Always at night and when I'm trying to fall asleep . Thought I was getting arthritis because it hits my knees too. Someone a long time ago told me it was because I was lacking some vitamin. Going to have to try the magnesium
minnine does. What amounts are you all taking of all these
supplements
greentea
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 07:46
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Mornin' all!!

Just wanted to check in and tell you that my hot flashes are deminishing finally!!

I bought Estroven 2 weeks ago (ran out about 6 weeks ago) and because I was desperate started taking 3 a day.

Well I am happy to say that yesterday I had only a couple flashes that were noticeable. I will continue at this dosage until they are gone and then cut back to maybe two a day. (1 morning, 1 evening).

Hallelujah for natural alternatives!!!
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 07:57

That's Great HN
I haven't talked to my Doc yet..... ironically, I've been too sick to go see her
greentea
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 08:10
Lover of Life

BF:

GT

So sorry you've been sick. Hope you get to feeling better!!
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 09:43

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

First I want to thank everyone for their input into this thread.

Approaching 43, I haven't really noticed any changes except one. The mental fog. My father has Alzheimer's disease and it is shown to be hereditary. I have been scared to death I was getting that disease until I read this thread. I have noticed I forget things a lot more than I had in the past and just couldn't remember. It drives me nuts.

Approaching MP could explain my recent mental handicap.
Thanks
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 10:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Absolutely, Agonycat!

I've devoted the past 5 years to helping women know that most of what they start experiencing is totally normal! We've all had those same thoughts and felt like we were alone and possibly losing our minds.....it's so much more fun to realize that we're just a bunch of nuts together!

If you've gone to my website and looked at the symptoms and read through some of the other pages, you've seen that there are lots of options available, lots of support sites and books to read. If you have a doctor, it's a good idea to write down your symptoms (from the list) and take them with you to your next appt. Just don't let the docs brush you off or tell you you're too young, etc. If you don't have insurance, like me, you need to really research everything you can find to understand what's going on with your body and determine what you need.

The more you ask, the more you'll find out!
Best wishes,
Dee aka "Minnie Pauz"
http://www.minniepauz.com
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 10:39

Hi agonycat,
I can really sympathize with your fear. I personally had myself believing I was having a mental breakdown . What irritates me the most is that any one of a number of doctors I have seen in the past could have and SHOULD have brought up the symptoms of being peri-pausal and explored that with me rather than shoving anti-depressants down my throat.
It was actually a magazine artical I came across that hit home
and I said That's Me!! Newly empowered I went to the doctor and lo and behold was offically categorized as PP.
I never knew I could start this so early and that it could last 10 long years before the "real" thing hit. This should be common knowledge among women and it would save a lot of unnecessary worry and stress.
I think I've vented enough
Herbnurse Thanks for the well wishes.. doing a little better
greentea
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 10:45

This support is great

I have asked (or tried to ask) my mom (75) or sister (53) about MP and PP and I never get any straight answers from either of them. So this is great to be able to find out I am not crazy, nor alone.

Thanks
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 05:05
Lover of Life

BF:

Agony Cat

I agree with you about the support here, we are all experiencing basically the same things and NO it isn't in our heads as some physicians believe.

Working in a pharmacy I saw many ladies come in with prescriptions for depression but in talking to them I found that they were only experiencing the symptoms of peri-menopause and menopause.

Why is it male doctors always think that our symptoms are always "In our head"! My DH use to feel that way too but after I gave him a book to read (reluctantly) he understood more about the process and has really been a dear about it. He went so far as to loan my book to his boss who's wife at 40 is having dramatic symptoms and they were quite possibly headed for divorce after 20 yrs. of marriage. Now they are both working together to make her transition easier.

Education is the key, by us our spouses and yes even our immediate family members to help us thru this transition.

GreenTea

Hope today you are feeling better.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 06:50

Hey Herbnurse,
Wish you had been working at my pharmacy
Feeling better, just a cough hanging on...I hope this is the last of it. Starting with the flu, then going into this, has depleted
my energy considerably. I'm off until Monday so have extra sleeping time I intend to take advantage of
Dark, rainy, autum day....great for relaxing...if only I didn't need to food shop
greentea
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 07:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Greentea.....

Sure hope you get a weekend of rest and recovery from your cold! As "Minnie Pauz" always says: Pamper (no, not THAT kind) yourself, cause no one else is going to do it!

I know what you mean about the dreaded shopping! I've only been on this WOE for 3 months and it seems that I'm consumed with shopping and fixing and reading about my meals! There's so many things I don't enjoy eating that I end up going hungry because I either didn't shop right or just don't feel like preparing something. I'm getting tired of some things and bored with others.

Did I tell you all that my site was shown on CNN the other morning! (Wednesday) That was a good piece of publicity!
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 08:20

Minnie,
I'll be damn! That was YOU!!!!! I caught it in the middle and was thinking, Hey that sounds like Minnie's place...someone must be copying her Yea for you Are you prepared for all the "Hits" to come?????? You may need two ships next year
I'm with you on the shopping. Running out of everything sooner.
And it IS costing more!!!! Once I go back to one job only maybe I'll be able to prepare more for the week, (I'm so NOT domesticated when it comes to cooking) I buy convenience. I want to grab and go
I want that pop-up MP book! That was too funny!
I will Pamper myself this weekend! Not sure how but, I'll think of something
greentea
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 09:21
Lover of Life

BF:

Minnie

How cool is that to see you on CNN news and not be one of the 10 most wanted.

You are going to be really busy now. I don't know what I would do if my internet webstore ever went nationwide. I have always dreamt of it someday but don't know if I could handle it. Oh the stress!!

Congrats again on recognition for your hard work!!
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 09:47

May I ask which book you gave to your DH? I may need to give my hubby the same one so he understands.

Anything that would help
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 12:51

Hey Janis
Welcome. I hope we can be of some help and that we can learn from your experiences too! I'm really intrested in more of your
MP and LC history.
HN, I'll take the name of the book and how you got your DH to read it
greentea