Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 22:26
Registered Member

Plan: X-Factor/Atkins
Stats: 202/157/145 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian452
Casval, Just wanted to let you know that I tried your porridge recipe and find it very good - it felt like eating real porridge and is quite satisifying, so much so I felt like I was cheating! Very handy for an alternative breakfast. So many thanks for the tip I recommend it to others. Also have give up trying to find a stockist for Empower after trying two that were listed on their website. Will try another one when I get a chance. Where did you find them?

Hi Gillian,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wish I had found this place when I first started lowcarbing. I went for 8 months with eggs for breaky. I am so sick of eggs and all it's variations, eg. omelette, etc. So you can imagine my joy at being able to eat a variety of breakfast foods again. Nowadays, I enjoy nuked sausages and bacon, protein shake with cream and yoghurt and porridge. Big variety compared to eggs, eggs and more eggs :yuck:

I found the FibreX, Muffin mix and cookie mix at my local health store in Forest Hill Chase. The place is called Long Life. Or talk to your health food store person, ask them to order it in. They'll be more than happy to do that. The Empower Foods site telss you the same thing, if a store doesn't stock it, ask them to get it from so and so (distro on the empower website)

Greg

Last edited by casval : Wed, Jul-23-03 at 23:19.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 22:39

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

You know, the FibreX is very expensive and can be a lot more cheaply reproduced: LSA has three of the ingredients in it, so one can just add a few others to it such as psyllium, WPI, lecithin, etc.

Gigi
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 22:44

Plan: My own
Stats: 183/173/160 Female 68 in
BF:33%/27%/22%
Progress: 43%

Thanks Greg I found an Empower stockist in a health food store in Chadstone. You are right about the price.
Started a weights program this week in the gym, in addition to all the cardio I do, so I have sworn myself off the scales for a few weeks. Hope to see results like yours!
By the way I've been using a Protein Powder for women called Sculpt (2.6 carbs per serve)but I see a recommendation about for a Product made by Redback that is lower in Carbs that I can get at Vitaminzone in Prahran. Is there any particular brand thats best? Thanks by the way for taking the time and answering all my questions.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 22:53
Registered Member

Plan: X-Factor/Atkins
Stats: 202/157/145 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
VALEWIS
You know, the FibreX is very expensive and can be a lot more cheaply reproduced: LSA has three of the ingredients in it, so one can just add a few others to it such as psyllium, WPI, lecithin, etc.

Gigi

Hi Gigi

That was what Gillian was referring to when she was talking about the porridge recipe

Quote:
Gillian452

Thanks Greg I found an Empower stockist in a health food store in Chadstone. You are right about the price.
Started a weights program this week in the gym, in addition to all the cardio I do, so I have sworn myself off the scales for a few weeks. Hope to see results like yours!
By the way I've been using a Protein Powder for women called Sculpt (2.6 carbs per serve)but I see a recommendation about for a Product made by Redback that is lower in Carbs that I can get at Vitaminzone in Prahran. Is there any particular brand thats best? Thanks by the way for taking the time and answering all my questions.

You're doing very well so far. Congratulations on the weights program. It is very rewarding. I love it, never miss a session now. I find that my weight has stalled. I'm not too sure if I have really stalled or am gaining muscle mass at a rapid pace. 3 days a week of intense weights and my weight stays the same, kinda says something Thing is, I'm not feeling a looseness in my clothing either. But then I've been buying new clothes all the time, so who knows.

The protein isolate I use is made by Balance Technology. It's 0.5g of carbs per serve. Or is it per 100g? Can't remember, either way, it's very low. It's $65 for 1.5kg. $144 for 4kg. This is unflavoured protein powder. I get this from the Forest Hill store as well. I saw it at Camberwell as well. There was another post earlier that was saying that Redback products are inferior, but it went on to say that the comment was made by the purist muscle builders So inferior is a relative term. I'm happy with my powder.

Greg

Last edited by casval : Wed, Jul-23-03 at 23:19.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 17:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 126/126/119 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress:
Post Empower and Picture of Health

Hi all,

I am from Sydney (Manly), beautiful place to live.

I have tried the Empower muffins and yes, they were nice and froze well. However, I have to share that I also had the Picture of Health (www.pictureofhealth.com.au) muffins and liked it MUCH more. You can order on line and they deliver by mail; they also sell their products in some health shops (don't know wich ones). Note that I have no afiliation with any of the companies above, its solely my personal opinion.

Cheers
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 02:05

Plan: none
Stats: 198/198/132 Female 162
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi there, I'm also from Canberra, I live in Macgregor. I've got 30kgs to lose! Where do you live? I'd be interested in sharing some of the pains, fun and tribulations of weight loss...
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-04, 19:16
Aneres

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I live and work at Yulara, NT, otherwise known as Ayers Rock
Before this we lived on Hamilton Island
And before that, Nullarbor, Clare-South Austalia, Rockhampton, Mackay, Forster/Tuncurry, Pacific Palms NSW, Wootton -NSW..lol and I'm from Canada [but lived in England for 10 years before coming to Aus] I love to travel.