Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 10:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/184/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default I almost cried in the supermarket!

Last Friday, I stopped at the market to pick up some last minute items for dinner with the fam. I ran into a co-worker I hadn't seen in a while, and he tells me that he's been wanting to talk to me becuase "we have something in common."

I told him that I wasn't following him, and asked him what he was talking about. He said, "surgery?" and looked at me like I should understand now...

I said - "OH NO!" "You have kidney stones too?"

He said "NO! I had the lap-band surgery!" "Didn't you have it too? I heard around the building that you had it too."

I almost cried right then. I don't even know why! There is nothing wrong with having the weight loss surgery - except for the fact that I didn't have it!

In the last two years, I have lost about 55 pounds and it is very noticable. Whenever anyone asks, I just laugh and say that I stopped eating bread. I don't go into detail about it, and don't talk about it at work at all, really. If someone asks have you lost weight, I say maybe a little, or I say, it's just this shirt....again - not wanting to get into what I'm eating, but I was happy that people were noticing.

Now, I find out that the whole building thinks I had weight loss surgery, and for some reason that makes me very sad. I don't understand why I feel so negatively about it.

BTW - I congratulated the man on his huge weight loss, and told him how good he looked. It was awkward, but I didn't want him to feel like he offended me. He just had this look on his face that was saying "get out of here fast - you just insulted a woman on her weight!" It was kind of cute.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 12:18
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

I am certain you ahve worked hard to get where you are. By eating within your chosen food program.
Hmmmm...old man alert:
On the sad front... can't help you there but the fact that you have successfully lost so much weight he THOUGHT you had help migh make you smile. Maybe it is time for you to take credit for YOUR achievement and send a note to your closest 10 or 12 friends/acquaintances at work and tell them your SUCCESS story? You have every reason to be proud! (And I assure you that the work gossip express will take the truth of your loss to the remainder. Wild guess from an old man's perspective is that your work will probably be like most work's and there will be many, many people envious of you and want to know your "secret". Share. Tell them how you lost it. Bet you end up on the smiling end of that.
Old man mode off.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 21:44

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

you worked hard to get where you are. i can see why you'd be disappointed that people dont know how you got to where you are.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 12:22
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterE
I am certain you ahve worked hard to get where you are. By eating within your chosen food program.
Hmmmm...old man alert:
On the sad front... can't help you there but the fact that you have successfully lost so much weight he THOUGHT you had help migh make you smile. Maybe it is time for you to take credit for YOUR achievement and send a note to your closest 10 or 12 friends/acquaintances at work and tell them your SUCCESS story? You have every reason to be proud! (And I assure you that the work gossip express will take the truth of your loss to the remainder. Wild guess from an old man's perspective is that your work will probably be like most work's and there will be many, many people envious of you and want to know your "secret". Share. Tell them how you lost it. Bet you end up on the smiling end of that.
Old man mode off.

I'm not an old man but I agree with MisterE. Also do not let anyone take away your sunshine. Be proud of what you accomplished.

BTW, I have no problem with someone choosing weight loss surgery if they feel it is the best option for saving their health and life.

Hugs and Congrats on your achievements.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-11, 22:03
Registered Member

Plan: Akins
Stats: 210/177/135 Female 5ft 2 1/2 in
BF:
Progress: 44%

Ppl would rather think that u went the easy way so that they can feel better about y they r not losing weight. Not really their fault though. If u don't want to explain (though I understand) they r going to draw their own conclusions.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-11, 04:44

Stats: 160/140/130 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 67%

You should definitely be proud of your success! I guess most people generally don't have the drive to lose weight the normal hard way so everyone assumes you took the easier way out.

Maybe because you also don't always answer directly how you lost the weight - others might assume you are trying to divert from the fact you had e.g. lap band surgery. Be proud of your achievements - I personally had the fear that people would assume I was gloating but from experience people were just happy as well as supportive and were just trying to grab a few tips too
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-11, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 232/202/120 Female 5'3
BF:Insane
Progress: 27%

lol..sucks. You can't win really. If you don't give people the answer they want to hear they will make up their own answer and then everyone believes it. If you tell them the truth from the start most will just criticize the diet anyway.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-11, 13:18

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations on your terrific weight loss! Other opportunities will arise to explain how you really lost the weight. If you just keep it light and laugh about the surgery rumour eventually everyone will know the truth. You're probably going to be very inspirational to some people and at least give everyone food for thought - no pun intended.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-11, 13:44

Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

OMG - I would be thrilled if someone mistook my LC success with a 10K surgery. I'm not trying to belittle your reaction, I think it would upset me if I thought people were discussing my weight behind my back, but from an outsiders point of you, I am so proud of you. It really illustraits that you know what you are doing and that you must look fabulous.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-12, 15:11
Registered Member

Stats: 155/147/110 Female 164 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

I can understand why you felt bad, but I have to agree with Grrovegirl - when people mistake your success for surgery, it means your weight loss is really noticeable, and while they should congratulate you on being so determined and in finding a diet plan that worked, you shouldn't feel too bad that they think you had surgery. What matters is that you're on the right track and you're looking fit enough to have people wondering how you did it. You should be proud of yourself, I sure admire your success!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 15:04

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

I think I would have taken it as a compliment and been thankful that I didn't have to go through surgery to get where I'm at. Hold your head high and be proud that you did it the better way.