Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 06:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/130/124 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default anti-Yeast diet - what to believe

I see conflicting information on the anti-yeast diet. Has anyone been able to make sense of it.

One diet says cream cheese and mozzarella cheese are okay, no mention of ricotta & cottage cheese.
Another one says ricotta, cottage and cream cheese - no mention of mozzarella.

One says no nuts, another says unshelled nuts are okay (all agree no peanuts, and probably pistachios) Another says nuts are okay, even smoked nuts.

They say no dairy, including cream, but I understand cream has no milk sugar, so it doesn't make sense that cream is off-limits (I REALLY want my cream!)

Anyone made any sense of this? If all I have left is probably remnants of an infection, can I be a little more flexible?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 08:35

BF:
Progress:

I'm new here. I can't figure out where this was moved to or why. I'm not complaining. I assume there's some better place to post the information. I'm just trying to figure out hte landscape.
Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 08:37

BF:
Progress:

Never mind. When I posted my second post, it became clear what happened, why, and how to navigate.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 08:53

Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Some sites are conflicting. I've run into this myself. If you are going to do strict yeast-free, I guess it's best to avoid all of them which doesn't leave much but meat & salad with no dressing. I try to avoid most of the products containing yeast but it's nearly impossible all the time so I just be careful with them.

I want to pick up the book The Yeast Connection soon. Haven't read it yet.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 13:51
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lajet
They say no dairy, including cream, but I understand cream has no milk sugar, so it doesn't make sense that cream is off-limits (I REALLY want my cream!)
Actually, cream and all the cheeses you listed do contain small amounts of lactose. I know very little about the anti-yeast diet, so I can't offer you any real guidance, except that if you use these foods, I think you might do best to eat them only in very small amounts.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-08, 09:30

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I haven't heard a convincing explanation of why, but from the experiences of people I know, I would say that all cheese aggravates candida problems.

You CAN have salad dressing. You just have to make it with lemon juice instead of vinegar. Put some raw garlic in your dressing - that's a great anti-candida food.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-08, 09:46

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

The Russians make a salad dressing with beet kvass. I'm not a big fan, but you can try it yourself.

Beet Kvass

2 or 3 beets, chopped finely but not grated
1 Tbsp salt
1/4 cup starter culture
Water

Place all ingredients in a 2 quart mason jar. Fill with water and mix. Cover tightly and leave at room temperature for 2-3 days. Transfer to a cool place (35-45 degreese F).

When the liquid is almost all gone, you can refill the jar with water (I recommend adding more salt too) and start the process over. It won't be quite as strong the second time, and after that the beets are all used up.

I usually ferment the beet kvass much longer, and leave it in a cool place in the house, but don't chill it. Sometimes mold forms on the top - you can reduce this by giving it a gentle shake every few days. The mold can be safely skimmed off.

Since this is a fermented food, your diet may not allow it. But if you're curious, I'd say it's worth a try. It's supposed to be a cleansing drink that alkalizes the blood.

Starter Culture.

You can use a previous batch of beet kvass. My recipe in Nourishing Traditions says to start with whey. I don't do any dairy so I usually start with sauerkraut juice or some other leftover fermented stuff. You could probably even use lemon juice, though I've never tried it. Here's the recipe for whey:

Whey and Cream Cheese

2 quarts yogurt

Place in a 2 quart mason jar and cover tightly. Leave at room temperature for about 4 days, or until it separates. Do not shake or stir.

Place some cheese cloth in a colander or strainer over a bowl or pitcher. Pour the separated yogurt into the cheese cloth and cover. Leave for several hours. Tie the cheese cloth to a spoon or something and remove the colander. Let it drip a few more hours. Do not squeeze.

When you're done, the pitcher will contain the whey, which is high in probiotics and lactic acid. The "cream cheese" is not like regular cream cheese and you might not like it. If you don't, feed it to your animals or put it in your compost, or just throw it out. The whey will keep for about 6 months in the fridge.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 16:25

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Question

My confusion about the anti-candida diet doesn't have to do with cheeses or most milk products....it has to do with vinegars. Some say that you can't have ANY vinegar; others tout apple cider vinegar as beneficial. Then...in searching for salad dressings without vinegar, one website claims that ranch dressing doesn't have any vinegar....then someone said that YES it does...to which the reply was that if you make it yourself it doesn't say to add vinegar to the pkged ingredients....just mayo. DUH...what do they think mayo is made from??

I also see in some lists that you can't eat fermented foods...but WHY does it recommend sauerkraut...kombucha...and kefir? These are fermented....

Just some "food" for thought....from someone with ongoing candida issues.....