Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 21:47

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Question Cold Remedies and my discovery...

I have been suffering from a Nasty Summer cold all weekend but I have made some discovery I would like to share...

I have tried to use Sugar-Free cough drops on my sore throat but it made my throat more inflamed. I kept waking up every 2 hours and popped other cough drop in my mouth and my throat was so raw, I was in tears.

Then I decided there might be some sugar in the drops so I decided to drink a cup of Oxo beef bouillions in warm water. Amazingly, the saltiness of the drink sooth my inflamed throat and I was able to get to sleep. I wonder if anyone else had this experience.

I was also surprised that I didn't crave any comfort (starchy) food that I usually need. I had a small bite of rice porridge and I wanted to rinse my mouth out. It felt so 'gluey'. I was worried that since I have only started Atkins for less than a month, I will revert back but I am so surprised that I do not have the same desire for Starchy food.

I am so encouraged even though I feel like a wrung out dishrag.

Sniffle, sniffle, cough, cough... Sarlye
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 23:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Thumbs down Colds, yuck.

Hope you feel better soon. I too like salty drinks rather than sweet when I have a sore throat. There's lots of wisdom in that ol' chicken soup recipe!

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 01:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Unhappy hi Sarlye

summer colds, uggh.

Yes, those sugar-free cough drops are SUCROSE-free, but do contain up to 2.5 gm carbs each from sugar-alcohols. Plus, if your throat is really inflamed, the menthol can be extremely irritating. Zinc lozenges are soothing, but hard to find a brand that's not sweetened with sugar.

Warm salty drinks are my own personal soothers when I'm not feeling well. Gargling with salt water is soothing too (1/2 to 1 tsp in a glass of warm water) just be sure to spit it out. Watch out for that Oxo .... it contains corn syrup solids, modified starches, hydrolysed wheat ... makes you wonder where's the beef? (or chicken) -- the liquid concentrate is the worst for carbs, cubes the least, around 1 per serving. Knorr bouillon cubes (in the yellow box) are great, no sugar added. Just remember that each cube makes 2 cups ... I remember the first time I used them, I put one whole cube in the mug, poured over the water and I tell you my eyes popped open with the first sip ..

Hope you're feeling better soon

Doreen