Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-12, 06:20

Plan: Atkins 2
Stats: 267/251/210 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Stew thickener

Hi all

I've always prided myself on getting at least three meals out of a whole chicken. Pre-Atkins that used to mean a roast chicken (which I can still do) with all the trimmings (which I have to modify to take out the spuds) on Sunday, picking off all the remaining meat (see later) and then stewing the carcass for stock.

I would then use the stock and some of the remaining meat to make a huge pot of chicken stew, which would last a couple of days easy; and finally use the rest of the meat in either a stir-fry (OK) or a pie (sob . . . My beloved pies . . . gorn!)

Getting to the point, I used to thicken my stew with a packet of Knorrr Crofters Chicken soup - but I don't think I can anymore.

The nutrition values say:

Carbs - per 100g AS SOLD (which is a 75g pack of dried soup mix) = 56.3g
Of which sugars = 10.5g
Fibre = 5.6g

Can someone clue me in as to what the other 40g of carbs are? And confirm that this is a carb no-no?

And, most importantly, suggest what I can use as a substitute to thicken my stew?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-12, 07:50
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I've been using ground almonds to thicken stews - seems to work and you can't taste the ground almonds.

Lee

Last edited by leemack : Sat, Jan-21-12 at 16:57.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-12, 09:57

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

If you look at the ingredients list of the soup mix it should tell you which starches they use so you can decide if it is OK for your Atkins phase.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-12, 19:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

The 40 grams of carbs will be starches. And yes, that's pretty much a carb no no.

There are serveral things you can use to thicken stews. Personally I just add some cream which thickens a little. Cream is great for gravy by the way - just let it boil until it's the right consistency.

But back to stews...
Some people like adding puréed cauliflower, while others like to use thickeners such as xanthan gum. I haven't tried almond meal, so that's a good idea too.

If you click here, to the Frequently Asked Questions thread in our Kitchen Talk forum, and scroll down to "Thickeners", you'll find links to several threads that discuss this very thing.

HTH!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 07:27

Plan: Atkins 2
Stats: 267/251/210 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks all - Rosebud, Xantham gum does seem to present itself as a good alternative. I just need to find out if I can get hold of it.

Ground almonds may be worth a look.

Cream is great for thickening a sauce - I did that with a chicken curry last night and it worked perfectly. But for a thick base to a stew/casserole, there's just too much liquid in the first place.

I'll report back if/when I find the best solution.