Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-17-15, 07:58

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Atkins frozen dinners in Edmonton?

I live outside Edmonton and have gone to all the grocery stores in town (2 Safeway, 2 Sobey's, 2 Save-on--including 2 Walmart stores since Walmart advertizes Atkins frozen dinners) and cannot find Atkins frozen meals.

I am facing knee surgery soon and need to stock up on frozen meals during recovery as i won't be able to stand for any length of time to prepare meals.

If there is anyone in the Edmonton area? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-19-15, 00:49

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 316/275/196 Male 72 Inches
BF:41%
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I live outside Edmonton and have gone to all the grocery stores in town (2 Safeway, 2 Sobey's, 2 Save-on--including 2 Walmart stores since Walmart advertizes Atkins frozen dinners) and cannot find Atkins frozen meals.

I am facing knee surgery soon and need to stock up on frozen meals during recovery as i won't be able to stand for any length of time to prepare meals.

If there is anyone in the Edmonton area? Any suggestions?

Hello there Benay - I dont live in the USA or anything but.. espcially with you having knee surgery ( I have also had knee surgery on both knees) maybe try getting a protein shake low in carbs that you can make each day ? I know its not as good as ready meals ( in fact I didnt eversee these Atkins meals before but sounds cool) but its better than nothing?

Also you do need to heal up well too after the surgery .

If you want I can suggest some shakes that you can get over there?

Good luck with the surgery too.

Stephen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-19-15, 01:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

When I've been in a similar situation, I've done it the old fashioned way, ie, filled my freezer with plenty of homemade microwaveable meals. That way I know exactly what's in the meals too, so I don't need to worry about hidden carbs.

Just FYI, here are are some previous threads discussing Atkins frozen foods:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=448333
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=448967
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=455893

I'm certainly not saying don't bother with them (if you find them somewhere), but maybe only keep one or two on hand, and fill the freezer with your own food?

One thing I have also done is to have several packages of cooked chicken, all ready to be turned into various easy dinners such as simmer a few spices, add the chicken, then some cream or coconut cream. Or this can be done before freezing. I have also had plenty of mince/ground beef in frozen in separate serves that can easily be turned into a load of different dinners. Mince can also be turned into meatballs and/or meatloaf prior to freezing. There are just so many ideas!

And you have my very best wishes that your knee surgery goes well.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-19-15, 05:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowcSpike
Hello there Benay - I dont live in the USA or anything but.. espcially with you having knee surgery ( I have also had knee surgery on both knees) maybe try getting a protein shake low in carbs that you can make each day ? I know its not as good as ready meals ( in fact I didnt eversee these Atkins meals before but sounds cool) but its better than nothing?

Also you do need to heal up well too after the surgery .

If you want I can suggest some shakes that you can get over there?

Good luck with the surgery too.

Stephen

I envision not being able to stand for any length of time to prepare a meal. Shakes take preparation from cupboard and fridge to blender and wash and put away. All while standing and using a walker. I doubt I would be able to tolerate a shake diet for one month. I make shakes for myself now so I am familiar with the movements I use to create them. This is why I look for frozen dinners--remove from freezer, pop in microwave, put food on table next to microwave, eat. I have been trying to find a tray that will fit on my 3 walkers so that I can transport foods, but so far have been unsuccessful.

Thanks for the thought.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-19-15, 05:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
When I've been in a similar situation, I've done it the old fashioned way, ie, filled my freezer with plenty of homemade microwaveable meals. That way I know exactly what's in the meals too, so I don't need to worry about hidden carbs.

Just FYI, here are are some previous threads discussing Atkins frozen foods:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=448333
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=448967
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=455893

I'm certainly not saying don't bother with them (if you find them somewhere), but maybe only keep one or two on hand, and fill the freezer with your own food?

One thing I have also done is to have several packages of cooked chicken, all ready to be turned into various easy dinners such as simmer a few spices, add the chicken, then some cream or coconut cream. Or this can be done before freezing. I have also had plenty of mince/ground beef in frozen in separate serves that can easily be turned into a load of different dinners. Mince can also be turned into meatballs and/or meatloaf prior to freezing. There are just so many ideas!

And you have my very best wishes that your knee surgery goes well.

I have eaten Atkins frozen dinners so know about them. Atkins is the only brand name I know that has low carb frozen dinners. And the only low-carb brand I have found here in my part of Canada.

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I am not a cook and am not clever enough to create meals I find palatable that require little standing for preparation and ease of carrying while using a walker. It is the preparation time--even with prepackaged cooked meats--that requires something to go with the meat, that takes time as well as transportation as I will not be able to eat standing at the kitchen counter.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-19-15, 14:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I can certainly understand you needing some ready made food when you can't stand because of surgery.
I hope you find some.
Is there any place that will mail them to you?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-20-15, 08:13

BF:

Thanks Meme. I haven't found anything so far. Much easier to find internet delivery sources for low carb meals in the States.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 02:15

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 316/275/196 Male 72 Inches
BF:41%
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I envision not being able to stand for any length of time to prepare a meal. Shakes take preparation from cupboard and fridge to blender and wash and put away. All while standing and using a walker. I doubt I would be able to tolerate a shake diet for one month. I make shakes for myself now so I am familiar with the movements I use to create them. This is why I look for frozen dinners--remove from freezer, pop in microwave, put food on table next to microwave, eat. I have been trying to find a tray that will fit on my 3 walkers so that I can transport foods, but so far have been unsuccessful.

Thanks for the thought.

Yea thats fair enough - although UI was thinking a powdered shake that is then put ina shaker you can shake it up yourself while sitting/laying down but liek you said , just living on those wont be easy ( or a good idea)
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 06:56

BF:

Thanks low carb c spike

I went to the huge Wal Mart store in the South Common--no Atkins. Either Atkins or Wal Mart should stop advertising the sale of Atkins frozen meals if they are not available.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 07:10
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:

Thanks for the thought.

My Nan used something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homecraft-1...S/ref=pd_cp_d_2

Not sure if it would help you?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 07:53

BF:

Leemack, this is a UK address for Amazon. But thanks for the idea. I can try Amazon Canada. Hadn't thought of that. Good idea.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 07:55
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Leemack, this is a UK address for Amazon. But thanks for the idea. I can try Amazon Canada. Hadn't thought of that. Good idea.

Wasn't sure where you were based, so thought I'd just show you the picture.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 08:04

BF:

This thread is in the Canada site. I went to Amazon.ca but they only carried the bars. They suggested on-line groceries and low carb groceries but again only the Atkins bars. The frozen dinners are hi-carb.

It (Amazon) would probably work in the US but not here in Canada. Thanks for the idea.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 10:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Atkins' frozen meals are not available in Canada. They're only advertised on Atkins' US site .. not the Cdn. site .. http://www.atkins.ca/products

They were test-marketed in a few larger Cdn. centres a couple of years ago, I believe through Super Walmart stores. They didn't exactly fly off freezer shelves, and also the products were more expensive here due to increased packaging costs .. eg. labels must be both English and French, plus our laws are different/stricter regarding net carb claims, ingredient disclosure etc. So they cancelled any further sales here.

~~~~~~~~

In addition to the other suggestions above, don't forget there are restaurants who will deliver hot meals to your door. Swiss Chalet (a personal favourite ) has several low-carbable options. You could order two or three dinners at one time .. eat one hot and refrigerate the others to reheat later. Each meal comes in a microwaveable plastic tray with plastic utensils and paper napkins .. everything can be thrown in the garbage afterward, no need to stand at the sink washing dirty dishes. They offer lowcarb sides such as grilled vegetables or a salad instead of potatoes or rice. When ordering, just ask them to not include the bun, but be sure to ask for extra butter pats and sour cream

Here's a link to their menu ... https://www.swisschalet.com/menu?gc...CFRCsaQodSZUAEA ..
You can order online. Also, the Nutrition tab at the top of the page will provide you with carb counts

~~~~~~~~~~~

A quick, easy protein breakfast (or any meal, really) ... no cooking expertise required ... microwave scrambled eggs with cheese. All you need are: eggs, butter, a bag of pre-shredded cheese and a large coffee or soup mug. Put a small knob of butter in the mug and microwave on High for 20 seconds, or until it's melted. Break 2 eggs into the mug and stir with a fork to scramble a bit. Microwave for 30 seconds, take it out and add a handful of pre-shredded cheese. Stir it again (will still be liquid in the middle). Nuke for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, until cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir again and eat. Just be careful as the melted cheese will be very hot! Only one mug and one fork to wash!

Want a serving of veggies to go with those easy-peasy scrambled eggs? V-8 juice is a great lowcarb option . I buy the low-sodium version in 156ml cans .. comes as a 6-pack. Per can, there are 7g carbs minus 2g fiber = 5 net carbs.

All the best for a speedy recovery from the surgery
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 07:05

BF:

Doreen T, thanks so much for the breakfast suggestion. I can do that. Great idea!

It seems to me I recall SAV-On carried Atkins frozen at one time but no more. I am currently making up some slow cooker meals a la Dana Carpender for freezing--but even that gets boring.

I too love Swiss Chalet--ribs especially--but they do not deliver to acreages 15 miles out of town. I have warned all my friends that they may be required to stop at Swiss Chalet take-out if they are coming out to visit.

Good ideas and I am grateful for them all.