Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-23, 04:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Keto and Paleo aren’t helping your heart

Washington Post article by Anahad O’Conner about new study in Circulation.

Popular keto and paleo diets aren’t helping your heart, report says

https://www.washingtonpost.com/well...-heart-health/?

https://www.ahajournals.org/toc/circ/0/0. ( in the footnotes, and then Dr Gardner's supplementary material is an extensive summary of many diets, and their many less well known versions, to match up to 58 studies )

Destined to be controversial, it was in "The 7”, the WaPo's daily summary of top seven news stories. Anahad has written articles in the past more favorable to most versions of low carb. He knows Dr Peter Attia and may be questioning LC based on his own CAC score, quite high CAC for a young man, and Dr Attia's strict CVD recommendations. Dr Attia no longer supports a ketogenic diet nor fasting. The Nutrition 3.0 Chapter in his book Outlive is fascinating. He readily admits diet and nutrition are so poorly understood by science, so emotionally loaded and so muddled by lousy information and lazy thinking that it’s impossible to speak about them in Nuanced terms.

Quote:
Ketogenic and paleo diets may be trendy, but they won’t do your heart any favors.

That’s the conclusion of a report from the American Heart Association, which analyzed many of the most popular diets and ranked them based on which approaches to eating are best and worst for your heart. The authors said one of the purposes of their report was to counter widespread misinformation about nutrition promoted by diet books, blogs and people on TikTok, Instagram and Twitter — where posts promoting keto and paleo eating plans have surged in recent years.

The amount of misinformation that has flourished on social media sites has reached “critical levels,” said Christopher D. Gardner, the director of nutrition studies at the Stanford Prevention Research Center and chair of the committee that wrote the report.

“The public and many health-care professionals are likely confused about heart-healthy eating, and rightfully so,” he added. “Many of them likely feel that they don’t have the training or the time to evaluate the important features of the different diets.”

Ranking diets for heart health

The report, published Thursday in the journal Circulation, was drafted by a team of nutrition scientists, cardiologists, dietitians, and other health experts, who analyzed a variety of dietary patterns.

The diets were evaluated to see how closely they aligned with guidelines for heart-healthy eating, which are based on evidence from decades of randomized controlled trials, epidemiological research and other studies. The report also took into account factors like whether the diets allowed flexibility so that people could tailor them based on their cultural and personal preferences and budgetary constraints.

The heart association’s guidelines include advice to eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, whole grains like brown rice, bulgur, and steel cut oats, as well as lean cuts of meat and foods like olive oil, vegetable oils and seafood, which is high in protein and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
The group recommends limiting foods that are salty, sugary, highly processed or made with white flour and other refined grains. These include things like soft drinks, white bread, white pasta, cookies, cakes, pastries and processed meats such as hot dogs, sausages and cold cuts.

As for alcohol, the evidence that it provides a cardiovascular benefit is questionable. The heart association says that people who don’t drink shouldn’t start, and that if you do drink, you should limit your intake.
Popular low-carb diets scored lowest
The heart association gave its lowest rankings, using a scale of 0 to 100, to some of the buzziest diets widely touted on social media. These included very-low-carb regimens like the Atkins and ketogenic diets (31 points) and the paleo diet (53 points).

Article continues, very long, let me know if you can’t read the link.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Apr-27-23 at 14:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-23, 05:37

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm not surprised. The AHA has always been against low-card eating.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-23, 06:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Christopher D. Gardner is a known proponent of vegan/plant-based diets. Of course he's "alarmed" at the popularity of anything that involves consumption of animal products.

Biased report, nothing new, stopped reading after the second paragraph.

#4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-23, 13:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
The authors said one of the purposes of their report was to counter widespread misinformation about nutrition promoted by diet books, blogs and people on TikTok, Instagram and Twitter — where posts promoting keto and paleo eating plans have surged in recent years.

Yes, those silly people talk about how they lost weight, lowered blood pressure, cleared up health conditions...

How dare they!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-23, 18:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Should be posted in the Low-Carb War Zone. The diet wars continue with “experts” shifting when convenient. Attia contradicts himself occasionally, although some of his information has value. He’s now a concierge longevity doctor who supports a combination of lifestyle measures including diet and exercise along with supplements and prescribing medications for the usual symptoms. His clientele must be wealthy to afford his services. What I’ve heard from him is he no longer follows a ketogenic approach or does fasting. Who cares? Over time many of us need to adjust, but for the WaPo article to cite opposition is not exactly true in this case. He’s correct that diet and nutrition science is extremely weak or nonexistent in terms of actionable and factual information.

As for Gardner, hahahahaha, his agenda is overwhelmingly biased and hardly based on science.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-23, 21:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Wow.

Yet Dr Westmann has clinical patients on keto. And evaluated keto for some 20 years. Surely heart issues would have become noticeable by now.

Guess its healthier to be 100# over weight than choose keto.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-23, 04:32

There were other media articles, of note in CNN's is that this color-coded chart is aimed for physicians:

Quote:
Aimed at doctors

While people concerned with heart health can and should use the new AHA ranking of the 10 diets, the scientific statement was written for physicians, Gardner said. The goal is to get doctors up to speed, since nutrition is not often prioritized in medical school.

“It’s a cheat sheet for doctors,” Gardner said. “When they do ask about diet — which I don’t think is all that often — and a patient says, ‘Oh, yeah, I’m paleo. I’m vegan. I’m keto or I’m DASH,’ I don’t think they really know what that means.”

“We surveyed 1,000 cardiologists five or six years ago, and it turns out about 90% of us know almost nothing about nutrition,” said Freeman, who was not involved with developing the AHA statement.

Yet patients need their doctors to be discussing nutrition with them during regular checkups, Freeman added.

“If you asked me in my heart of hearts do I think we should have been banging the drum about nutrition for the last 100 years? Yes. So every time we can bang the drum a little more, I’m always in favor,” he said.

Now, with a color-coded chart in hand, doctors will be better informed to discuss the foods on those diets and which to emphasize, limit or avoid, Gardner said. Instead of talking about the benefits of specific heart-healthy nutrients and foods, advice should focus on a overall pattern of eating.

“When it was a single heart-healthy nutrient, you could just inject that nutrient into food and claim it’s healthy food, which it wasn’t,” he said. “Or if there’s a superfood like chia seeds, you could take a really unhealthy food and sprinkle chia seeds on it and say, ‘Ah, I’m now protected.’ No, it needs to be part of an overall healthy pattern of foods.”

As long as we are willing to accept that a high LDL, ApoB and a CAC score reflects a low carb diet and in no way increases your risk of heart disease, carry on. Dr Attia's "Outlive" book would not give me pass…and maybe in your next check-up telling your doctor you eat paleo won’t either.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-28-23 at 04:45.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-23, 04:49

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Popular keto and paleo diets aren’t helping your heart, report says

After 20 years of what I have often described as low carb paleo it's amazing I'm not dead yet. As far as I know, there is no sign of heart disease either. This article is based on the assumption that the AHA heart healthy recommendations are correct so that there was no way that either paleo or ketogenic diets were going to pass the test. It s propaganda not scientific analysis.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-23, 05:26

BF:

Gardener is dead wrong about chia seeds. They are loaded with oxalate.

Paleo/keto/low carb doctors are becoming more aware of oxalate dangers, as am I, thanks to the books Toxic Superfoods, which essentially uses science to ruin what is left of the food pyramid and the Superfoods craze.

He's right about doctors being ignorant about nutrition, but they don't have to be. The ones who know DASH and not low carb are the real problem.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-23, 13:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I get such a comic reaction out of this article. Thanks, Janet, it gave me some levity, which is always good in our serious, polarized world. Bear with my comments below as they are a good way to blow off some steam on this rainy Friday afternoon.
Quote:
“It’s a cheat sheet for doctors,” Gardner said. “When they do ask about diet — which I don’t think is all that often — and a patient says, ‘Oh, yeah, I’m paleo. I’m vegan. I’m keto or I’m DASH,’ I don’t think they really know what that means.”

Can't disagree here, but perhaps the concept of achieving health through lifestyle changes could be conveyed to the doctors first. In medical school, they are taught how to prescribe and dispense medicine for a myriad of symptoms and have never been taught that a consistently followed lifestyle including consumption of healthy whole foods and frequent activities and exercise can make a huge difference. That is a concept that many physicians can't explain. Many simply say "eat a healthy diet and move more" but have a hard time explaining what that means and how to do it.
Quote:
“We surveyed 1,000 cardiologists five or six years ago, and it turns out about 90% of us know almost nothing about nutrition,” said Freeman, who was not involved with developing the AHA statement.

Hardly surprising, I have visited many doctors over the past 25 years right up until the present month who fall into this category.
Quote:
Yet patients need their doctors to be discussing nutrition with them during regular checkups, Freeman added.

“If you asked me in my heart of hearts do I think we should have been banging the drum about nutrition for the last 100 years? Yes. So every time we can bang the drum a little more, I’m always in favor,” he said.
If they're banging the drum of ignorance and can't provide the guidance a patient needs or are providing the wrong guidance for a particular patient, as there is no one diet suitable for all, then no, please don't bang any nutrition drum. If one reviews those physicians and GPs who have embraced a healthy lifestyle including diet, many came to the realization through some of their patients who were following a well-planned nutrition program that was working far better than prescriptions for achieving health. There are many physicians who are candid about this, but the three who come to mind are Drs. Eric Westman, Mark Cucuzzella and David Unwin. There are many others and these brave souls initially risked their practices by finding alternatives to commonly held standards of care to convey the benefits to their patient communities.
Quote:
Now, with a color-coded chart in hand, doctors will be better informed to discuss the foods on those diets and which to emphasize, limit or avoid, Gardner said. Instead of talking about the benefits of specific heart-healthy nutrients and foods, advice should focus on a overall pattern of eating.

Yes, I believe they mean yet another variation of "Nutrition for Dummies." Why? Because sadly, many physicians are unable to discuss the benefits of heart-healthy nutrients due to their lack of knowledge further clouded by the massive disagreements among the various dietary camps. Confusing, and the food manufacturers fiddle while metabolisms burn . . . and globally our medical bills continue to rise exponentially.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-23, 03:46

Rob, since that amused you, wait until a doctor pulls this out to talk about your diet.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-23, 03:47

BF:

Health insurance in the US compounds the problem. It takes minutes to write a prescription and much longer to manage a patient's diet with them. Referring to nutritionists, when they are all trained with a vegan bias, is more harmful.

Five a Day was a marketing slogan. The actual science is missing in many cases because bio-availabilty is so rarely considered.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-23, 04:13

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I get such a comic reaction out of this article.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Before taking an oath to first do no harm doctors need to take an oath to first not be stupid.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-23, 06:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Step aside "healthywholegrains" ... looks like "healthyplantbasedproteins" has become the new dietary catch phrase du jour

#15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-23, 19:33

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Four decades of recording what I eat has taught me (n=1) that there is a 1:1 correlation between eating "healthyplantbasedproteins" and joint pain. They may be fine for others, but not me.