Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 12:47

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default News from Low Carb Denver Conference

DietDoctor members: a privilege for you! You are able to access the recorded sessions at the recent Low Carb Conference in Denver. Unfortunately, many of the "celebrity" presenters were prevented from coming by you-know-what.

But our guy Grav made it there all the way from NZ! You won't want to miss his presentation during the "five minutes of fame" session on Sunday. He was the first speaker, and you'll appreciate his message as well as his professional delivery--in spite of some crazy camera glitches at the beginning.

Go to Sunday. Cue up the session at about 5:30:20.

His achievement as a "loser" is impressive. His persistence as an advocate in NZ is impressive. His commitment as a professional with PreKure is impressive. His composure as a speaker is impressive.

Can you tell I'm impressed? Hope you get a chance to see this presentation.

I'm actually on my way to have a look at some of the other presenters during this conference. I have a pretty good idea what they might say already. But Grav--Brendan--had a perspective on the low-carb experience in his life that was dramatic, inspiring, and different.

P. S. Grav tells me this talk will eventually be on YouTube. But having a membership in Dietdoctor is a good thing in the meantime.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 13:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

We were both blessed to meet the "real" Grav/Brenden in New Zealand this past month. His composure after the camera mistake that required a retake is impressive...he is a great calm speaker. If you don't have a DD membership, this earlier LC Down Under talk is equally good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFSuHzHIMW8 Starts about 7:45 minute.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-20, 08:58

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Appreciate the love, guys.

I think I remember wondering aloud in my journal a couple of years ago while watching the Breckenridge stream from 2018, "wouldn't it be great if I could be one of those people, telling their story on stage someday?" It feels pretty good to have finally actually accomplished that.

The basis of it actually came from a journal post I wrote about a year or so ago in March 2019, soon after the Christchurch mosque attacks. The thankyous at the end I picked out from the acknowledgements section of my book project.

There was a lot of practice going into it beforehand. It had mostly been put together a couple of months ago, and then I practiced it several times a day for good 3 months, 2 or 3 times while walking to/from work, and once or twice from my bedroom while looking out the now-famous window with the nice view. Gold Coast last year saw a similar degree of rehearsal beforehand as well. I like to think that it paid off in both instances.

If there's an upside to all the disruption that Denver had to deal with this year, it's that I do feel like I want to return someday, just to personally meet some of those who didn't make it this time around, so I can thank them in person. But if that doesn't happen, then at least there's a chance that they'll hear it through the talk.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-20, 07:08
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Was there any new information or research? I'd be curious what the focus was on this year. Lots on fasting?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-20, 07:36

28 hours from 26 speakers covers a lot of ground. Highlights listed here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/watch-th...corded-sessions

The first highlight listed is Dr. Lustig and linking metabolic diseases, sugar and cancer. New to me, Dr David Harper continues with new info on cancer and some possible links of ketogenic diets improving immunity to viruses.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-20, 08:35

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thanks for pointing the Youtube link out Janet of Grav giving his 10 minute talk. https://youtu.be/oFSuHzHIMW8?t=469

Grav came up with 4 feelings he described after some serious thought and reflection after weight-loss, we'll, I have 4 words to describe his talk;

Concise, Spellbinding, Heartfelt and Freedom!

Grav had me misty eye'd a couple times, laughing a few others and keenly interested in what he had to say in between.

o7 Grav!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-20, 09:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Grav, I certainly heard your voice through your talk. Your ability to clearly articulate your story is compelling and so very valuable to many others who are in the same situation and feeling helpless. I believe that your story is an excellent candidate for a TED Talk, as it serves to free those who aren't aware that they can exert control over the situation. Beyond that, being an ambassador to a healthy lifestyle that enables people to break away from a limited mindset propped up by bad and misinformed advice helps them to achieve the freedom they didn't know existed.

Sometimes, our roles in life change due to the dynamics of experience that we previously never could have imagined. You are traveling that path, my friend. Being a living example sends a very powerful and inspirational message.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-20, 16:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alene1
Was there any new information or research? I'd be curious what the focus was on this year. Lots on fasting?

Sarah Hallberg's pre-recorded presentation was specifically about new research in the field. I was pretty chuffed to see/hear her talk about a 2019 RCT by Cliff Harvey (another fellow Kiwi who I also met last year) examining the benefits of varying degrees of low carb in healthy adults, so much so that I remember buzzing a few people back home about it from the conference room floor.

Eric Berg also touches on fasting in his talk, but more from a practical clinical perspective than anything groundbreakingly new as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The first highlight listed is Dr. Lustig and linking metabolic diseases, sugar and cancer. New to me, Dr David Harper continues with new info on cancer and some possible links of ketogenic diets improving immunity to viruses.

David Harper was a new face to me also. I had no idea he was even speaking when we crossed paths on the Thursday night meet-and-greet, where he was asking people whether or not they noticed that they were getting sick less often on low carb than before. For my part the answer was not really, that I tended not to get sick very often anyway, but others could definitely relate. I thought his talk was very well done, and I hope we get to see more of him in the future.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-20, 16:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Thanks for pointing the Youtube link out Janet of Grav giving his 10 minute talk. https://youtu.be/oFSuHzHIMW8?t=469

Grav came up with 4 feelings he described after some serious thought and reflection after weight-loss, we'll, I have 4 words to describe his talk;

Concise, Spellbinding, Heartfelt and Freedom!

Grav had me misty eye'd a couple times, laughing a few others and keenly interested in what he had to say in between.

o7 Grav!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Grav, I certainly heard your voice through your talk. Your ability to clearly articulate your story is compelling and so very valuable to many others who are in the same situation and feeling helpless. I believe that your story is an excellent candidate for a TED Talk, as it serves to free those who aren't aware that they can exert control over the situation. Beyond that, being an ambassador to a healthy lifestyle that enables people to break away from a limited mindset propped up by bad and misinformed advice helps them to achieve the freedom they didn't know existed.

Sometimes, our roles in life change due to the dynamics of experience that we previously never could have imagined. You are traveling that path, my friend. Being a living example sends a very powerful and inspirational message.

Aww, you guys...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 06:38

Grav, A bit off topic....but You are posting here. Your MP and Health Minister broke the Stay at Home order? Not once, but twice? I still have New Zealand and Aussie news in my feed, so watching Jacinda Arden assure little ones the Easter Bunny was essential, and then turn around and Demote Dr Clark for being an idiot shows how well women can multi-task. But I hope you do not lose your "in" at the government level. The rest of that article was how well NZ has kept the virus under control...the natural advantage of being an island and closing borders early plus the early decisive moves for stay at home orders, testing and equipment for healthcare workers.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 14:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Grav, A bit off topic....but You are posting here. Your MP and Health Minister broke the Stay at Home order? Not once, but twice? I still have New Zealand and Aussie news in my feed, so watching Jacinda Arden assure little ones the Easter Bunny was essential, and then turn around and Demote Dr Clark for being an idiot shows how well women can multi-task. But I hope you do not lose your "in" at the government level. The rest of that article was how well NZ has kept the virus under control...the natural advantage of being an island and closing borders early plus the early decisive moves for stay at home orders, testing and equipment for healthcare workers.

I think you might be referring to this CNN story? Our local media has a habit of making stories out of the fact that others are talking about NZ whenever it happens, so we get more than our fair share of overseas coverage about ourselves as well. "Look, somebody noticed us!"

It is a shame about what Dr Clark did though, definitely not a good look for him.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 05:15

That and The Guardian story on both countries, with two experts from the Univ. of Otago! https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...h_b-aplnews_d-1. I continue to follow the Ruby Princess story since we were packed on the Manly ferry with some of its crew...a close call by a week or our keto immune system kicked in.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-11-20 at 05:27.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-20, 05:23

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Janet, after we left NZ, our hosts there (residents of Auckland) flew to Sydney to visit family, and hopped on a cruise. Yep. Ruby Princess. The cruise was interrupted, they shipped back to Sydney, and flew home to quarantine. Husband tested positive and got sick--but not terribly. Wife was declared "probable." I've begun to think that corona has a lot of cousins kicking around though.

Back to you, Brendan.

Be well.

And Happy Easter, bunny or no bunny.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-20, 04:40

Another terrific interview conducted by Grav! He Asks smart questions and then lets the doctor answer without interruptions. A family practitioner from a small hospital in Montana...and like me, it was Gary Taubes' Good calories, Bad calories book that was his "lightbulb moment". https://youtu.be/NQkUb5c1oBg. What a sweet doctor...his "best retirement is having a job you love" was much an echo of Dr Unwin in the UK.

Barb, it must be a relief that your friends did not become very ill, but they will be a witness in the criminal investigation. Now all 5000 passengers from the two itineraries that docked and departed on March 8 need to answer a questionaire.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-29-20 at 05:04.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-20, 05:50

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

watching it now. glad I reviewed new posts before I posted link. I was excited to see it show up yesterday