Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-21, 09:30

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Bone Marrow Questions

Just like my post on liverwurst, I'll start out by saying this might get moved. I'm not looking for a recipe, per se, but rather tips from people who roast and eat the marrow from the bones.

I just roasted one squat marrow bone (maybe 3 inches high when stood on end). Salt, pepper, and a sprinkling of dried parsley. Roasted it for 15 minutes. Most of the marrow had melted, but there were still globs of pink solids in there.

Does that mean it's not done? I left it on the counter for 5 minutes while I went online to investigate. Didn't really learn if that's ok or not. So I went back into the kitchen and the pink globs had melted. The bottom of the bone had crusted over, so I used the bone as a sort of carnivore shot glass and drank it down. DELICIOUS! Like warm liquid velvet.

I once had a marrow bone as a side to a steak in a restaurant. It was a long bone, cut through the length. The marrow was definitely cooked (no pink), but not totally liquid, and you could actually scoop out a bit to have with your bite of steak.

I'd love to hear from some of you experienced folks out there on marrow bones. Do you eat them? How do you prepare them? Did I do ok? Did I over-roast them? Can you eat the pink blobs?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-21, 11:03

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I love bone marrow!

The pink globs show that it's not fully cooked, though eating it like that won't hurt.

I usually roast mine in a hot oven for around 20 minutes until the bones are nicely browned.

The best I've ever eaten though were at St. Johns in London:

Fergus Henderson Explains St. John's Roast Bone Marrow, a London Legend
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-21, 11:21

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks for the link! Those bones look delicious. The thing is, I had the pink globs floating around in liquid fat, plus a lot of the liquid fat leaked out the bottom. The bones in the link look more cooked through and through. Maybe with future attempts my technique will improve.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-21, 15:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Just like my post on liverwurst, I'll start out by saying this might get moved. I'm not looking for a recipe, per se, but rather tips from people who roast and eat the marrow from the bones.

hiya Bawdy

The post about liverwurst didn't get moved from General LC section because it was more about how to incorporate it into your eating plan. This query about bone marrow is more about how to prepare and eat, so I'm thinking might get better "air play" and attention from knowledgeable folks in the Kitchen Talk section .

Not to worry .. there's a clickable redirect link in General LC which will be active for at least a couple of weeks so folks can find it. As well, if you're subscribed it will automatically take you to the new location

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay so ...

I first tried roasting marrow bones per a recipe in Bones: recipes, history & lore by Jennifer McLagan. She had earlier published a book Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes, which had been discussed here on this forum, but sadly can't find the link . McLagan also has a book Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal.

I'd borrowed all three from the local library, but loved "Bones" so much I bought my own copy . If you're a public library patron, highly recommend checking out these books, if available. . Keep in mind, McLagan's recipes aren't necessarily LC or keto. They're simply unafraid and unabashed about using animal products that typically get overlooked, and often reviled by "mainstream". Yay, more for the rest of us!!

Anyway .. found a blogger who tried McLagan's exact recipe for marrow bones .. plus reader comentary. Do check it out ... Roasted Bone Marrow (recipe below )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roasted Bone Marrow

Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water and add 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt per 1 cup water. Add the marrow bones and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours, changing the water every 4 hours and replacing the salt each time.

* TESTER TIP: Some testers have asked us, “Do I need to soak the bones?” The answer is yes. This removes the blood and any impurities from the marrow.

Drain the bones, cover, and refrigerate until you’re ready to roast the marrow. Drain the bones and pat them dry. Be sure to roast the soaked marrow within 24 hours or freeze the drained bones for up to 3 months.

Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).

Place the drained and dried marrow bones in a roasting pan. If the bones are cut crosswise, place them standing up; if the bones are cut lengthwise, place them cut side up. Roast for 15 to 25 minutes, until the marrow has puffed slightly and is warm in the center. To test for doneness, insert a metal skewer into the center of the bone, then touch it to your wrist to gauge the marrow’s temperature; the roasted bone marrow should be very hot. There should be no resistance when the skewer is inserted and some of the marrow will have started to leak from the bones.

Serve the roasted bone marrow immediately with spoons for scooping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoy