Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 12:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Is it possible?

I'm new to the forum. There's just some stuff that derned book doesn't answer.

I've been on the Induction part of Atkins for two weeks now. The first six days I lost 7 pounds, but have been stalled for 8 days now. I've given up aspartame completely since Monday, and my test stick is the darkest purple it can get. I've been in deep ketosis since the third day in fact.

Is it possible to be in ketosis, but still not lose weight? If ketones are given off when fat is being burned then what's up?

I don't have any candida symptoms, so I can't blame that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 12:33

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

If your strips are a dark colour its usually an indication that you're not drinking enough water. Showing a trace or small doesnt mean you'll lose less weight than if you're a darker colour. Please take a peak at the article Doreen wrote under "Low Carb Tips" called "Ketones and Ketone Test Strips" (at the top of the page in orange)

It is quite common to experience a stall after induction as your body gets used to the loss. I lost nothing for the first 5 days of my second week. This is why it is important to take your measurements. You're probably losing inches. Measurements are a great motivator when the scales wont cooperate.

There are other reasons you might be stalled (undereating, not enough water etc). The Tips section addresses them under "Plateaus and Stalls".

Starting a journal would also be a good idea. Keeping track of what you're eating (and drinking) will help you identify problems later on. We would also be able to offer suggestions to tweak your menu.

Best of luck,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 12:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the suggestions. I am actually drinking about 60 - 70 ounces of water a day (I have a 64 oz. bottle I fill in the morning and force myself to drink by 3pm, in addition to any water drunk with meals). Maybe it's just that I'm older than I was the first time I tried this diet. I also can't really do any serious working out -- just some walking -- until I get some of this weight off. My knees won't take it.

And I haven't written my measurements down, but I did notice this morning after pulling my jeans out of the dryer and preparing to struggle with them, the little buggers just slipped right on with no problem.

Since getting smaller is the operative goal, I'll just keep on going the way I've been going.

And I did start a journal this morning. It's sintillating reading so far.

~A~