Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 03:06

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Just discovered this log and the highlight reel! So fabulous and inspiring!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 10:53

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Sounding good Renee! Happy New Year and good health to you!
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 23:01

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Just discovered this log and the highlight reel! So fabulous and inspiring!

Thanks for stopping by,
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 09:32

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Yo Renee,
Thanks again for stopping by my gym log and commenting. Your encouragement is always appreciated! And of course, I'd like to extend the same encouragement to you.

I'd also like to wish you a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year. Chase your dreams!

Your coach was right about the abs, LOL. Even at my fittest, I never got down to them, but hopefully I will this go-around!
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-19, 12:59

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Renee! I saw your post in Ken's 440 thread - and I was curious because you mentioned skating. So I read your first page and you are my hero!
I have always looked back to wish someone had gotten me into figure skating when I was little. We just skated on our frozen pond as kids, and I got into roller dancing for about 6 months in high school... fast forward to in my 50s with a knee and hip replacement so in all probability I will not be getting into it at this stage of my life.
I AM, however trying to bring better fitness and especially more mobility and agility to my body. If I don't move I start turning to stone. Energy/pain have always been challenging for me, so looking to improve these as well.

To start at 50ish to follow your passion is amazing. To do what you do is amazing. I think it's great and I am fascinated to see the exercises you do to be able to skate/train. So thank you! I'll be following with interest and drawing inspiration from someone who works so hard at something they want to do.

Kat
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-19, 22:57

BF:

Well. Thanks Kat for all your kind words. I am over here blushing a bit. Our coach is 26 and had a hip replacement (she was a high level competitor as a kid) so jumping is probably out for you. There are still a lot of cool low impact things you could do on ice though.

I did yoga for a year while I was losing weight. It really helped with flexibility and strength without much strain (way before I was so into the gym). I followed Yoga With Adriene on YouTube. She has a lot of great modifications, too.

Last edited by ReneeH20 : Tue, Jan-08-19 at 14:40.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-19, 09:17

BF:

I was inspired by Ken’s faster run time to give a fast a try. I have never done one because I was worried how it would effect my workout s. This week was a little different so it was either the perfect time to give it a try or not an accurate portrait. My last meal was a later one on Thursday night about 7 pm. I had my training session with Dan on Thursday instead of Friday. I did a Functional workout on Friday morning. 241 MEPS 640 Calories burned. Exact same MEPs as Thurs (241), but 60 less calories burned (700 on Thursday). Workout was a bit less intense. I felt fine. Continued through to Saturday morning. Skated from 7-8 am for 154 MEPs, 472 calories. I had a couple dizzy moments on ice but I think those were from the barrel rolls we were doing (moving spin). Everyone was a bit dizzy from those. I broke the fast at 9 am with an egg + sausage. 38 hours all told.

I am pretty happy with the results. I don’t think I experienced either a lack of performance or a noticeable up tick in performance. I was pretty happy with the effect on my weight and mind set. I have been “stuck” around the same weight for months. Saturday am I was down 2 lbs. Not expecting too much. Down another 2 on Sunday am and am still 4 pounds down as of this morning.

Probably the best thing was the shift in mindset. Even after the fast, if I was tempted to eat something between meals, there was a mental shift...like I was still in fasting mode.It was easier to dismiss false hunger.

I am going to try it again this week. Maybe Weds night through Friday am after my training with Dan.
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 22:10

BF:

Half way through the month. I either skated or worked out at the gym 13/15. I take Sunday as my rest day.

MEPs- 3015
Calories- 8421
Weight is down -8lbs

Feeling pretty good at where I am this month. Going to be off ice for a few days due to hockey tournaments.

I am working on push up form with trainer Dan. He has me lowering myself to the floor in a controlled manner and doing that to muscle failure a couple times a wee. Push ups are always a struggle even in my army days. I mostly do knee push ups now. Today I decided to see if I could do a military push up (on toes, breaking the plane). Did 2. Might not seem like much but it made me happy. I would love to be able to do 13 - passing standard in Basic Training for women in 1988.

Skating - my loop jump is fixed and passing now. Flip jump is getting there. Lutz has a ways to go but I am working the exercises so I don’t flip the edge (flutz). The 3 turn pattern on my right side was quite poor compared to the one on my left side. The right is so much stronger now. Really happy with it. Having fun working on “show” moves like Bauer’s, outside hydro blades, barrel rolls, etc.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-19, 17:55

BF:

Haven’t really updated in awhile. Caught a nasty bug that lets up a bit but doesn’t really let go. The weather has been bad these past 2 months - either snowing or frigid. The rink even closed one day. That has never happened in the nearly 30 years I’ve lived in Minnesota. I have only been getting in 4-5 days of exercise instead of my normal 6.

One day I had to dig out the driveway after 5-6 inches. I put on the belt and got a good 150 MEPs in 80 mins. Heart rate didn’t get too high, but I was feeling it the next day. The banks are getting higher so I really have to fling it up now.

I always think of my next door neighbor Dale on such days. He was 6’5” and 400+. He couldn’t get the snow blower started and collapsed shoveling the driveway. We found out a few days later he had died. I was out there when it happened. Terrible.

I like to get about 200 MEPs in at the gym. That usually takes me between 1 hr - 1 hr 30. Today I did 1 hr 15 for 233 MEPs. Dan gave me a more strength intensive workout than normal and added a 500M row at the end.

3 sets of 10 reps each
Hex Bar Deadlifts (95#)
Incline Dumbell press (15#)
Seated Row Machine (55#)
Sumo DB DL (55#)
Lat pull downs (60#)
DB Shoulder press (8#)
Goblet Squat (35#)
Triceps Rope pull (40#)
Plank (60 secs)

After the 500M row, I did some cardio.

Stair Climber sequence:
1 min medium speed
1 min slow with leg lifts
1 min side step
1 min other side step
30 sec high speed

X2 = 9.5 mins & 400 steps

Then onto what I call cardio climbs (for hiking) on the treadmill
2 mins backwards raised to level 3
1 min side step raised to level 2
1 min other side step raised to level 2
Level 5 at 3.0 then reducing level by 1 each minute while increasing speed by 0.1 at same time. Until I get down to zero incline and 3.5.

I like it as it get as the heart rate up without running. It simulates an upward waterfall hike. Next step will be to get my backpack on and start putting stuff in it. I would really like to visit more National Parks and do more hiking. I’ve got my eye on a road trip that would take in all 3 of the NPs in Washington state. Due to the new job, that is going to have to wait until summer 2020. Hopefully I can get up to Voyageurs or back to Isle Royale this fall.

Who would have know that going through the Narrows in Zion NP only 1.5 years ago would spark a new love of hiking in me? https://youtu.be/EwZQQ52fOOs That is why I work so hard in the gym. To be able to see things at 50+ that are not so easy to get to.
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 07:31
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

You're making me look like a slacker. Cut it out! Seriously though... nice workout. After my upcoming 10K I'll take some inspiration from you and add in more strength training.

BTW: A strain of that bug must be what's going around here. For more than a week I keep feeling like I'm catching something. It does not seem to blossom into anything major, nor does it ever seem to go away. A few headaches, body aches, and less motivated to workout hard. I hope that it clears out soon for us both. We have work to do.
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 23:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
You're making me look like a slacker. Cut it out! Seriously though... nice workout. After my upcoming 10K I'll take some inspiration from you and add in more strength training.

BTW: A strain of that bug must be what's going around here. For more than a week I keep feeling like I'm catching something. It does not seem to blossom into anything major, nor does it ever seem to go away. A few headaches, body aches, and less motivated to workout hard. I hope that it clears out soon for us both. We have work to do.

I would hardly call running 5 miles slacking. Sorry you’re not feeling well. That nasty bug must’ve made it’s way East. Hope it loosens it’s grip on you soon.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 00:13

BF:

February Recap

I did 20 workouts which is about 5 less than normal. Weather closed the rink and some illness kept me out of the gym. Calories burned = 10,994. Still a decent month.

I got 3867 MEPS in for the month. That put me about 5th place. The highest MEPS getter was about 5000+. Interesting enough they stopped posting the top 10 until the end of the month. I have an interesting nickname that is a play off my last name. People are always shocked to find out that it’s a “girl” who is beating everyone (and an old one at that). There have been a couple people who have hurt themselves trying to pass me in MEPS. One guy was pretty shocked when he found out it was me. I asked him what he was training for that he was going so hard. He said to beat you (me). The next month he was burnt out and I haven’t seen him in awhile.

I don’t want people to hurt themselves but there is a certain amount of pride in being one of the leaders at my age.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 00:29

BF:

Dan’s Workout

Circuit 1 x 4
Resistance Band (blue) trap bar (15 # each side) x 10
Toe taps (40 sec)

Circuit 2 x 4
Alt lunge w/single arm kettle bell (26#) swing x 8
Wall ball (8#) x 12

Circuit 3 x 4
Plank aerobic step walk overs (2 risers high) x 12
Back extensions with 10# plate x 10

Circuit 4 x 4
Side lunge twist with kettle bell(10#) x 6 each side
200M hard row

I was at 184 MEPs at the end of that so did some hill work on the treadmill for 11 mins. Brought my MEPs up to 226.

Then I went outside. It was snowing. I spent an hour shoveling in the afternoon and another half hour in the evening.
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-19, 20:43

BF:

Today was a rest day. Yesterday I skated. I only got 100 MEPs as I was showing everyone the new part of the choreography (I was the only one last week due to the storm and our coach was at competition this week). We are doing the Muses from the Disney cartoon movie Hercules https://youtu.be/RRq7lLawQB4 Kinda sassy. Just our style. It’s coming together nicely. We are going to bring it to competition mid April.

For the Ice show the adults are doing Aretha Franklin’s Respect. The costumes are awesome and I was pretty excited for it. My bestie is having her combo 50th birthday and retirement party that weekend. So I am headed out to Virginia for that instead.
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-19, 19:59

BF:

I’ve been trucking along this month. I had a little adjusting to do since I started my job this past Monday. I was just too mentally fried to go to the gym on Monday but have hit it Tuesday - Saturday. Instead of my usual 9-10am workout time slot, I had to figure out what do. I finally settled into taking my pup for a walk when I get home. Eat some dinner. Do a little housework, work on some puppy training and head to the gym about 8 pm. The pup seems to be tired so he will be pretty mellow for who ever is watching him. When I get home, I take him for a quick walk before a shower, and heading to bed. I just keep my belt on because the gym is less than 5 mins from my house. I am counting my dog walking MEPS as my cool down.

Gym MEPs: I started out in 9th place this month. I moved up to 7th and was in 5th after my morning skate this morning. I am pretty sure that after my session with Trainer Dan this morning and then a long dog walk after, I am now 2nd. Possibly even first. Rnrgrl has been in the lead all month. I am closing in.

Trainer Dan’s workout today:
Circuit x 4
Hex Bar Deadlifts (95) x 10
Green banded mountain climbers x 10 each leg
100 toe taps
DB clean & press (15) x 10
Incline bench DB bent over row (15) x 12
5 min stair climb:
1 min - moderate speed (Level 7)
1 min - Double step (Level 3)
1 min - Leg lifts (Level 3)
1 min - left side step
1 min - right side step

On ice, I am down to once a week since I now have to work on Weds. We have our competition program 95% complete now. I have a tuck Spin https://youtu.be/Fg9DWpWS2Zw (2:00), my hydro blade, and a new move spider lunge https://youtu.be/YaxVBMjx0DE Lots to work on.