Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 03:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%
Unhappy what am I doing wrong?

If anyone has time, could they look at my journal and see if they can see what I'm doing wrong? I haven't lost any weight since induction (6 weeks ago) and I haven't lost any inches at all.
Tried to convince myself that my watch was looser, but it isn't really. Need to get things going, but don't know what to do. Trying so hard to stick to this, but its a hard way of living for no results. I don't want to give up, cos I do feel better I think, but not getting thinner is depressing me now. Thanks for any help, Jay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 07:16
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi Jay!

Hopefully others will drop by for a look to confirm what I'm thinking, but at first glance these are my thoughts:

1) Not enough protein & calories. If you're working out rather intensely almost every day you need more of both. It would be helpful if you had your fitday counts posted in your journal, but you should be eating about 150g of protein every day....doesn't look like you're anywhere near that. (?) Calories should probably be at least 2000/day when you're working out, assuming you don't have any conditions which have severely impaired your metabolism.

2) Your carbs should be fine at 40, you may even go up to 50-60, especially on cardio days. You probably could use the extra energy.

3) You are very, very near your goal so the weight is going to be coming off painfully slow, I'm afraid. A 6-7 week stall is not unusual at all.

4) You may want to consider taking a week or two off from your workouts, or at least back off of the cardio completely for a couple of weeks. For some people this results in a drop.... perhaps your body is holding on to some fat because it is stressed and perceives it may need the extra energy source. If you back off, it may very well let go of it. Certainly worth a try. How long have you been working out and on what kind of schedule?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 07:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jay, I read through your journal for the last 4 weeks or so and I'm pretty much on the same page as Terri on this.

I think you need to go back to track food again with fitday to get a handle on things.

I would consider increasing meals to 5 or 6 a day spread out over the course of your waking hours. Women who eat this way are much less likely to gain weight and more likely to lose fat. This will actually help keep your metabolism raised and your insulin levels stable.

You've said a few times in your journal that you are both 'hungry a lot at work' and not drinking enough water - two very important things to work out. Getting hungry is a bad sign when you're LCing. And not drinking enough water?

I would recommend increasing protein and perhaps fat. Protein will help keep your blood sugar stable, it's very thermogenic (equalling more calories expended breaking down food) and it's quite diuretic (so water is crucial). The fat will help keep you feeling satisfied and it will convince your body you're not starving it (remember the bulk of your protein calories do NOT go toward energy so this has to come from somewhere).

You're very active - you work long hours as well - you probably do need more calories than just 10x body weight. Trial and error will give you the right mixture. You might try having a look through Lisaf's journal for the past week or so - she's on a plan she designed called SLLP (Save Lisa's Life Plan ) and she's doing well eating 2000-2500 calories a week (cycled). It might take some serious planning at first but if it gets you moving again it will be time well spent.

Also, consider the advice to take a little time off. If you've been maintaining this pace for a while a break is definitely needed. Your body will repay you

Cheers,
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 09:58

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

great advice there from Teri and Nat!

There's really nothing to "give up" if you believe LC is a healthier way of eating. You wouldn't give up health voluntarily, would you?

I'm 5'6" and have balanced out at 174 pounds and a size 12. Your natural size might be 142 and just a size less than where you are right now. Just be patient, and in a year, where you will be is probably the size you truly are. Don't get hung up on a bunch of numbers and judge yourself by them.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 10:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%
Smile Thank you

Thanks Terri, Nat and Razzle, for taking the time to look at my journal and think about what I'm doing - it has made me smile, just getting your replies, because it makes me feel cared for!
You've given me a lot of good advice - it's hard to shake the 'eat less to lose' mentality, I did well with it at the start, but when I didn't lose, the old doubts started creeping in. I'm going to sit down with a cup of tea (green of course) and plan my food, so I can make your advice work. And I note the little shaking finger Nat, I really must do better with my water.
Thanks all again, you've lifted my spirits and given me something to work on. Jay

Last edited by jaykay : Sat, Jul-06-02 at 10:26.