Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 12:29
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 317/262.6/175 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default This morning, I woke up MAD!

Hey guys. I'm pretty sure this will be the best place to post this as I am looking for technical help, but warning --- I will be venting!

A little back story for you; been overweight since puberty, graduated high school at around 275lbs, got married at above 350lbs, highest weight during pregnancy was 367lbs, have made it down to the current neighborhood of 290lbs. Prior to March of last year, I tried many times to lose weight through conventional methods, obviously none of them successful. I began low carbing last March at 317lbs (I'm 5'5" btw).

I believe I did Atkins induction in March, ended up traveling for a few weeks, and I know I did induction again on May 3rd. So let's say I've been doing this since May of last year. I tracked my food religiously, kept my calories at around 1800, climbed the carb ladder, did everything right. Had to travel again at the end of September, had reached my goal for our trip home of 285lbs. So basically a 32lb loss over the summer is not too shabby.

So while away, I did pretty well, but was slipping closer to the end. I wasn't concerned as my slips are largely situational. I don't drink alcohol at home, I certainly don't over eat at home... because I am strictly LC - at home. So I had a harder time getting back on track because a few days after we got home, we received a phone call that we had to return for a funeral. Well then it all just hit the fan. My 32lb loss was out the window, and my body and metabolism was all out of whack... I began induction again on January 10 of this year at 307lbs. I thought for sure I would never see 300lbs again ever in my life. I felt like crap. But I lost 5lbs overnight (water weight), and lost another 2 the second week of induction.

So things have been going along swimmingly and I hit a low (this go 'round) of 288lbs last week and shot right back up to 291 this morning. So this is my problem.

I hit 288 and then bounce up and down and all around there. This will go on for potentially months. This happened last year before we headed home and then I had a miracle "whoosh" before we left.

It's frustrating as hell to do everything "THEY" tell you to do, and not be able to lose weight, but through my own research and re-education I feel that I now know the truth. Do not fear fat, do not eat foods that will increase insulin production, no wheat or grains, and do your best to eat whole, healthy, real food.

So now at 290(ish), knowing what I know, doing what I'm doing, shouldn't it be falling off? I mean, we see people smaller than me losing 2 and 3 pounds a week and I gain and lose the same damn 2 pounds for weeks. I've seen the article about fat cells retaining water, and that the scale doesn't tell the whole story... this I know. But DAMMIT! No one wants it more than I do. My husband keeps harassing me to get on the treadmill but I KNOW that chronic cardio is not the friend of fat loss, so I refuse. I do more of a Primal Fitness type thing.

I guess I just want to scream I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING! I HAVE NO IDEA IF WHAT I'M DOING IS RIGHT! Hell I don't even want to be skinny, I just want to look good. I've been a big girl all my life, there is so much extra skin and stuff that I honestly believe that 175-200lbs might be a good weight for me, we'll see when I get there. The thing is I am not a happy fat person. I can embrace my size and my curves and all that jazz, but there is no way that 290lbs is healthy. 200lbs can be healthy and that's where I want to be.

I have no problem eating this way for the rest of my life. I like it. I like eggs, butter, steak, cheese, and I've always been a veggie lover so that goes without saying. I WILL be eating this way for the rest of my life. But I feel like it should be quicker. If I am creating a calorie deficit, eating seriously lc (like 25g a day), why am I not losing a pound or 2 a week?

And on a little bit of a separate tangent, I almost can't go grocery shopping anymore. If I see one more 110lb skinny mini with a cart full of Michelina's frozen pasta dinners, chips, pop, processed junk foods, cookies, and chocolate milk, I am going to FLIP OUT! I eat eggs and mayo, big a$$ salads, greek salad and steak for dinner, broccoli with melted cheddar, cucumber and blue cheese dip (all delicious!), and am nearly 300lbs! And these skinny little things walk around the store eating a bag of cheetoes, drinking a coke, and I'm judged because I'm fat! Seriously. ARRRG!

Anyways... so any suggestions would be appreciated, words of encouragement, kick in the butt for being silly... bring it on. I need it. I need SOMETHING!

Last edited by Bellanina : Mon, Feb-13-12 at 13:26. Reason: spelling mistake
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 12:36
Keto Lab Rat

Plan: Low carb...WB detox...IF
Stats: 240/201.8/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:The Lab Rats :-)
Progress: 42%

Just a quick question. When you say you are eating 25 grams of carbs, is that NET or TOTAL?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 12:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois55
Just a quick question. When you say you are eating 25 grams of carbs, is that NET or TOTAL?

That's net. I can't go above 25 nc's if I want dairy like cream in my coffee, cream cheese on celery, cheese to snack on or sour cream in my chili. I think.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 13:08
Keto Lab Rat

So are your total carbs below 50 grams then?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 13:17
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois55
So are your total carbs below 50 grams then?

Yes, my total carbs are well below 50g. I have also been tested for low thyroid and other hormone issues. They've never found anything.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 14:00
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

There is no reason for you not to go back to induction. It worked for you before, it will work now. There is no way I could loose weight eating 50g. of carbs, I'm too insulin resistance.

Do some reading, this place is a wealth of information. Find your own balance, empower yourself. You and I will never be that skinny girl with chips and garbage carbs in the checkout line. Just the cards we were dealt.

You have done great so far, keep it up! (insert kick in the butt icon here)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 14:25
Keto Lab Rat

Yep. Less than 50 grams total is good and some people have to stay at Induction levels for most of their journey. Unfortunately, you may be one of them.

Just remember that 1/2 to 2 pounds a week is plenty fast enough but some weeks you may not lose at all. The body takes a break now and then, but it will get back on track in a little while. Stay patient and persistent and you will achieve what you seek.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 14:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky7474
There is no reason for you not to go back to induction. It worked for you before, it will work now. There is no way I could loose weight eating 50g. of carbs, I'm too insulin resistance.

Do some reading, this place is a wealth of information. Find your own balance, empower yourself. You and I will never be that skinny girl with chips and garbage carbs in the checkout line. Just the cards we were dealt.

You have done great so far, keep it up! (insert kick in the butt icon here)

I'm actually below induction levels right now. Maybe I'll give it a good solid go at induction levels for 2 weeks (again) and see what that does. I've also nearly cut out my heavy cream and splenda, as I've switched primarily to green tea. *sigh*

Kick in the butt noted. Thanks Becky!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 14:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It sounds like you're doing a lot of traveling and not staying low carb while traveling. Is that the cause of the yo-yoing? Am I reading that right? If so, maybe some extra planning for staying low carb while traveling would be a good idea. You might need to loosen up a little, but not too much.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 14:30

Plan: Carbohydrate addicts
Stats: 240/186/176 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 84%

Have you considered doing a Jack Cruse leptin reset? P;enty of info on that subject on this forum
Cheers
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 16:34
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It sounds like you're doing a lot of traveling and not staying low carb while traveling. Is that the cause of the yo-yoing? Am I reading that right? If so, maybe some extra planning for staying low carb while traveling would be a good idea. You might need to loosen up a little, but not too much.

Yes Nancy, you are 100% correct. I was doing a lot of traveling at the time, and was still fairly new to low carb living. During my little fall off the wagon, I realized that it's just not worth it. It's taken a lot hard work to just get back to where I was. Here we are 5 months later, and I am no lighter, but I think I am a lot smarter.

These trips are to visit family back home. We went on our previously planned trip, came back home for less than a week, and had to pack up to head back as my husband's grandfather passed away. The trip is a 2 day drive so we have to make due with fast food salads, and the insides of burgers basically.

But once we're there it's as easy or difficult as I choose. I can prepare meals, and choose and manage what goes in my mouth. The biggest challenge for me when visiting is alcohol. But even when I do drink it's either a glass of wine with dinner, or vodka, club soda, and lime at a gathering.

So.... the plan is to stay the course, be smart about my food choices, and to not let "vacation" be an excuse. We're not traveling again until the end of June, so I have plenty of time to get in the proper head space.

I really am trying to loosen up about the whole thing but I just said to my husband, it's like working on some crazy math problem and thinking you have the answer but no one to confirm it for you. I've been working on this equation for 20+ years and I have no clue if my solution is correct. Apparently the theory is correct though, so that's something!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 16:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosyposy51
Have you considered doing a Jack Cruse leptin reset? P;enty of info on that subject on this forum
Cheers

Yes Rosy, I have had a quick look at the leptin reset, and I do find the whole concept very interesting. I will have to do some in depth reading as I only sort of skimmed the surface to get a few details that I could start with but I would much rather have as much info as possible before I add yet ANOTHER variable to my equation. I guess right now I am just looking for some consistency. I'm tired of the bouncing all over the place.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 17:36
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Hey...quick question...which Atkins book are you following?

There is a thread here about the original 72 book that might be good reading for you....
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 20:50
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky7474
Hey...quick question...which Atkins book are you following?

There is a thread here about the original 72 book that might be good reading for you....

I'm using the New Atkins For a New You but if I don't make the veggie carbs, I don't sweat it since I seem to be so damn carb sensitive.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 11:57
Registered Member

BF:

Hey guys, just wanted to say a quick thank you to Rosyposy. I'm going to try the leptin reset. Just choked down 220g of sandwich steak and a boiled egg with lots of butter! I'm stuffed to the gills!

Thanks so much to everyone else for all your help, suggestions, and for just listening.