Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 10:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Unhappy a bad idea

Hi everyone. Having a bad day. I went shopping this morning, not that i really feel like buying new clothes yet, but 95% of my wardrobe no longer fits me. Let's just say that reading the sizes on the tags was not exactly an ego boost...motivation to do something about it, but definitely not good for my self esteem. I ended up leaving the pants on the rack and buying myself a new shirt, a mat, and a yoga tape. Does anyone out there know of a good pick me up for days like this?? There is still that little voice in the back of my head that is telling me that i will always be fat and that a tub of rocky road will make me feel better. I know this is definitely not true, but i would like to know if anyone has any ideas for pampering myself to get out of this mental rut, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all the great support out there!!

KC
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 10:44
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Hi

Go put on some dance music and move to it, then take a long bubble bath or shower, oil your skin, and dress in clean clothes. Put some sent on and do your nails and hair. You are a beautiful you!! The more you do for your body the more you will love your body. This is you, the housing of your spirit! Hug yourself. You are your own best friend. Pretend a friend has come to you with her sorrow, what would you tell her? I hear a small voice in you whispering "I love myself" Why else would you be here?
Everyone of us have felt this way, heck look in my journal if you don't believe me, Maybe today is the day you just start over again
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 11:09

BF:

Thanks so much Lessara. You gave me wonderful ideas. I think i'm just going to have to have a "ME" day. It's just so hard to get motivated at times like this. My own personal spa might just be the way to go. I'm going for the facial mask and the nail file right now!! I'll treat myself to a yummy salad and I'll feel 100% again.

You've been so helpful, I hope to hear more from you around the forum!! Have a great day.

KC
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Somersizing
Stats: 194/184/160
BF:
Progress: 29%

Lessara, you are so right!! I got tears in my eyes reading your response.
Slimchance, what she says is true. We are all given a physical form, as Lessara put it so eloquently, "housing of our spirit". We don't get to pick it out, but we can do everything in our power to take care of it. Personally I have spent the last 20, or so, years loathing my body. I'm too fat, my breasts aren't big enough, my skin is too white, my eyes are too small, my, well, you get the idea!! If I am so awful, why is it that my DH, my family, my close friends, can look at me and tell me that I am beautiful?? They are not blinded by my self doubt. They see me as I am. Unfortunately, it is not so easy to believe the majority of the time. I look in the mirror and all I see is faults. This is not healthy. I believe the mind-body connection is very real. You feel good, you look good, you look good, you feel good, it's all a revolving door. Take care of your spirit and remind yourself constantly that you are a gift, and take care of your body and remind yourself that it is a gift. Take time to feed your soul as you do your body. Pamper yourself and remind yourself that you are are a beautiful being and you mean so much to so many people. It's a struggle we all go through each and every day but we can make our lives so much richer by casting off the negitivity and embracing our true selves. Take time for yourself. In the hectic day to day we sometimes forget to take the time for us. Do as Lessara suggested, have a bath, do your nails, put on a nice scent and a favorite outfit and be proud when you face the world. It's all up to you. You are beautiful and loved and very blessed to have all that you do. Count your blessings, I'm sure you have many!!
And yup, I agree, shopping can really suck sometimes!!

Sunshine Smiles!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 12:49

BF:

Thanks to you too BCBabe! It's so refreshing to have such a great support system on downer days. It helps turn that frown upside down , as they say. My whole mood has changed, I got in some exercise, a good healthy (and tasty) meal and I'm heading for the bath with some candlelight and soft music. I think I'll even paint my toenails today! I'm off for my "ME" day. Hopefully my next post will see me in the same good spirit I'm in now.

All the best!!

KC
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 13:01
Registered Member

BF:

Good for you KC!! Enjoy yourself and go ahead and paint those toenails. For some reason, when my toes are sporting a nice shade of pink, it makes me smile!!
Keep on keepin' on!!

SS!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 13:15
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Talking

My nails have sparkles on them! I makes me smile as I work here in the office - Only on weekends though
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 14:18
Registered Member

BF:

Lessara, isn't it funny how it's the little things that seem to effect us the most! I know when I do something little, like clean up my eyebrows or wear a new shade of lipstick, it gives me a little lift. It's not so funny, however, how a little thoughtless negative comment or a certain tone of voice, can crush us like a bug!
I often think about all the "little things" that we do and say and how they can , in turn, effect others as well as ourselves. Hmmm...a little point to ponder!!
Sparkle on, babe!!

SS!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 14:23
Registered Member

Stats: 188/150/140
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default ME DAYS!!!

What a great reply for those blue days! I know, the other day I had to find clothes for a job interview and nearly broke down in the mall. I was so angry when I came home I yelled at my husband and my pets. The old "tape recordings" were all kicking in teling me all of those negative messages. Its so nice to come here and hear words of encouragment and to know that we are not alone in our srtuggles On my way to the tub for a soak, hair conditioning, face mask, nail paintin' day!! Thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 14:58
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, Sophie, the periodic mall breakdowns, yelling at hubby & pets...I have SO been there!! My poor dogs and cats see their normally cuddley, lovey "mom" ranting and raving and they all run for cover! My husband, on the other hand, isn't so horrified to see his wife behaving this way and usually offers a supportive shoulder rub and some verbal "stroking" for my ego!! Damn those job interviews and seasonal parties!!
Ahhh...we go through it and we survive.
Good for you for taking some time out for yourself!!

SS!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 18:50

Stats: 210/208/140
BF:
Progress: 3%
Talking oooooh....tell me about "down days"

Ugh!! I know your feelings exactly!! My hubby started the Atkin's diet and lost over 30 lbs with hardly a blink of an eye. Since I'm breastfeeding I'm losing much slower though I'm eating less carbs than he is. So far (after 2 days of cheating ) I've only lost a whopping 3 lbs. Though I am in the first week of induction. Anyhow, back to my point. One of the things that makes me feel the best when I'm feeling down. I know this sounds cheezy. But I take a long hot shower and when I get out I brush my hair and just stare in the mirror. Smile, then not smile. Open my eyes wide, then squint. Turn my face from side to side, close up to the mirror, then far away... Just to see how my face move. I turn from side to side to check everything out. I try to pay attention to the parts of my body that I like and completely ignore the ones I don't. (the reason I've got a mirror that only shows me from the bellybutton up! he he he)*chuckles* sounds silly, but it lets me really look at the details of my body and realize that it's not so bad after all. Definitely not what it used to be, but not the horrible thing I imagine it to be. Or I'll take a loooong time putting make up on, something I don't do very often. And do my hair in a different way. Just those little changes that make me feel a lot better. Sometimes just a hot shower and a long nap lets me wake up with a fresh perspective. Anyhow, I hope it helps. We all have our down days, the main thing is to get past them. And even if you do crack down and eat that rocky road, don't worry about guilt...just remember tomorrow is a new day and move ahead
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 11:30
Registered Member

BF:
Default That's funny Vensula!!

I have done the same face/mirror thing too!!
I like to stick my tummy out and slouch over with a miserable look on my face and say "before!". Then I suck it in, stick my chest out and grin from ear to ear and say "after!" My favorite is up close, far away, up close, far away!! I look so goofy, it makes me laugh!!
I do have some good times with this ol' bod!

SS!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 11:38
Registered Member

Stats: 188/150/140
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default You guys crack me up!

Had a me day yesterday (my husband was on the road) and thouroughly(sp) enjoyed myself. I felt like a new woman, even after I ate the dreaded pizza and had a few drinks!! The scale still looks good this morning, but it probably wont show up until tomorrow morning...ugh...Monday! Anyway, I dont think that Ive ever done the "mirror" thing because I try to stay as far away from it as I can right now, but I think Ill try it. If it makes me laugh, what the he**! By the way Vensual, my husband eats all that he wants and complains that he never GAINS any weight!! What twisted irony huh? Men just have different metabolisms than women and apparently you just had a baby so no wonder its harder for you! Keep up the good work and hang in there!!
Thanks BC and Vensual for the good laugh this morning!