Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-05, 08:32

Plan: cut out carbs
Stats: 299.2/205.5/168 Female 173cm
BF:41%
Progress: 71%
Default Metformin Dosage 2nd Opinion

i was told in this forum that each person is beter on a dif dosage of metformin dependin on there body, when i was on the lower dose in jan-june i lost about 10kilos, i hav been on the higher one from june and i hav only lost about 3 in the past 5months, so i sugested to my doc mayb im beter on the lower dose and she said that cant be true cause as im not small in my size i should logicaly be beter on the higher, if any one has any input on this would be much apreciated
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-05, 08:59

Plan: LF/LC
Stats: 254/191.5/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Interesting...

I can tell you this...when I was on 500mg at first it didn't bother me at all. I was fine for the week I was on it.

Then I increased to 1000mg and I had the WORST side effects ever. Of course, I thought great when I increase to 1500mg its going to be so much worse.

I was wrong. Once I made it up to 1500mg I was fine. I feel normal, etc. DH suggested to me that MAYBE my body needed the bigger dosage and the 1000mg was too small for me.

I don't think body size should have anything to do with it. I think it has to do with your insulin levels. If you aren't terribly IR or maybe your are more sensitive to the dosage, then yes I could see how a lower dose would benefit you more than say someone like me.

Hope it works out for you!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-05, 16:17

thanks for input, am seein the GYN next week will have words
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 16:33

Plan: My Own Evil Plan
Stats: 260.0/250/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 8%

Overall Met is meant to lower your insulin resistance, which doesn’t always have to do with size, part of it is genetics. You could have two woman who both weight 200lbs on Met, and one needs 1500mg and the other woman only needs 500mg. You might be one of the lucky people who responds very well to Met, if so your doctor might want to consider lowering your dose regardless of size.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 16:56

wel i askd my doc about maby lowerin it she said as im not exactly small it wouldnt make sense to put me on the lower one again
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 07:19

Plan: LF/LC
Stats: 254/191.5/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Can you find a better doctor? Maybe one who specializes in PCOS?

Does being on the higher dosage make you feel crappy or is it just the weight? I don't know how I could gain on met...I feel like the bathroom calls my name somedays...I feel like I could move in there!! But I have noticed that I retain a lot of water lately...do you get that too?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 09:11

im big all over hav been for years so duno if i retain water duno how i wud find out. i hav a gp doctor and a GYN i see every 6months wich is totally a waste of time just says keep takin the met and goin gym and come back again in 6months
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 16:44

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I was reading a brochure about PCOS given to me at my dd dr appt monday. It said that often people lose when starting out on Metformin, but that the weight loss effects decrease with time.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 04:09

so im screwed then lol i dont get why the GYN wud be keepin me on it then if its not showed any signs of helpin since almost a year ago
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 16:42

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

xnikx- are you on this to lose weight or to help with insulin resistance?

this is meant to treat IR, and usually when you treat IR you lose weight. Perhaps even though you have some PCOS symptoms (?) your IR is not severe enough so it stabilized quickly and that's why you haven't loss since.

Aside from the weight loss, have you noticed a decrease in cravings...or your fasting glucose not as high? Not as tired after eating carbs?

These would all be signs that your IR has stabilized.

And your info says "whole grain" so I assume your still eating grains? Every day? That could also be part of the problem.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 04:12

no by whole grains i mean like wheat cearel rather then sugary ones, and i hav been told i hav pcos, and im on metformin i guess intitaly to help with weight los

i used to eat alot of pasta and yes used to get tired after, but since bein on met hav cut out pasta almost all together and the ocassional once in a blue moon that i mite hav it i dnt feel as tired as i used to

i used to crave carbs but since cutin them out as best i can i dont crave them now

i think i worked out that last year wen i joined gym in april by nov i had only lost a stone surely this is way to slow on met?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 15:28

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 205/205/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I just joined this board but I have been Diagnosed with PCOS since 2000. I am on Met. While it's often helpful in losing weight that is really not what it is made for. If the only reason your Dr. is giving for your dosage is your weight, you may need to find a new Dr. And, if your Dr. told you that she/he was putting you on Met to lose weight and not saying anything about controlling your insulin. Again see a new Dr. because there are much easier ways to lose weight then taking meds. But, I don't think that just because you are not losing weight anymore that it is the wrong dose.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 04:34

iv been told that there is no other way to lose weight with pcos but no carbs diet and lots of exercise wich is exactly wat i was doin, goin gym 4-6 times a week for 3months and only lost 3kilos so something cant be rite

it mite be beter if uk wud alow the highest met dosage to be same as usa here its 1700 and i think in usa its 2000
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 13:35

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Well, first of all Atkins isn't NO CARBS, it is LOW CARB. Bread, pasta, and tropical fruits aren't allowed until way later in the program and that is only if you can tolerate them. The metformin does initially help with weight loss, but the main reason it has been given to you as a previous poster said is to stabilze your insulin. The weight loss effects do decrease with time. If your insulin is under control a higher dose won't help you any. You list that you have PCOS. I have a couple of questions.
1) Were you having menstrual periods before the metformin?
2) If you weren't having them before the met, are you having them down?
3) Do you check your blood sugars? Are they improved with the met?
4) What is your hemoglobin A1c test result? Is it normal now, or decreased from before?
5) Did you have acanthosis negricans before? Is it improving?
6) How are your lipids now compared with before?
7) How about hair growth patterns?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm simply trying to get you to think about the symptoms of PCOS and whether or not the met is helping.
Good luck.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 07:25

alot of them stuff i have never had checked not even by doc

1. i used to have periods once every 4-7months, then almost 2yrs back i went on diannet and had periods, then came off it after a few months, and ever since i have had periods every month for a year 3months and only 11months of that iv been on met
2.not sure if its due to the met or the diannet i was on
3. dont check blood sugars, dont think my doc has either
4. i hav no idea wat that is
5. no idea wat that is never been checked to my knowledge
6. no idea wat it is never been checked to my knowledge
7. not to sure iv always been hairy, i guess its the same as it was