Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-07, 20:42
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default A lady seeking shoe advice...

Today I did raised leg lunges for the first time -- and realized that my five-year-old running shoes aren't going to do it anymore. I need something that is going to lend me a bit more stability. I was seriously fighting my SHOE to keep my balance while lunging -- and that's just not right!

The thing, though, is that I'm not sure what sort of shoe I should be looking for. Chances are that until the weather gets bad, I'll be speed-walking in them to the gym, wearing them while lifting, and then on the elliptical for 20 minutes. Not a tall order, I guess... but probably I don't want a shoe meant for running. Anyone have any advice? What shoe do YOU ladies wear when heading to pump some iron and do some minor cardio?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-07, 21:09

Plan: Low carb/healthy
Stats: 154.4/119.0/125 Female 5ft4 and 3/4ths
BF:don't ask...
Progress: 120%

Aeryn..

Running shoes are not for doing lunges for sure. If you want to have an all around shoe..I would go for a cross-trainer type shoe. They have more support in them then running shoes for stability, but light enough to do some fast pace walking..I have actually seen ppl run w/them..But personally I dont care to. I use running shoes mostly since I do more running then anything..

One thing that I have learned from past experience..I have put a gel insert in my shoes and man I can tell the difference. Usually in most sports shoe stores..The cross-trainer has its own section as is walking/running/etc. I am trying to remember some of the cross trainers I have used. I member saucony were good..You would just have to try them on..

Best of luck to ya
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-07, 00:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227.2/199.2/140 Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I work in the pharmacy. Last year I had severe pain on the bottom of my feet. I had to go to Podiatrist. She said many people in Health care have the same problem because of long hours on feet. She gave me a list, and warn me about Nike, she said they are too soft. She said most people think the softer is better, but those type of shoes don't support the feet. Here is the list :
New Balance, Aviva, Ascic's, Reebok and Brooks.
If you have khol's near you, that would be the best place and reasonable prices.
Also use Powerstep insert, you can get them at especialty foot wear or Podiatrist's office. Also you can check Sierra Trading post.com

Last edited by Shami : Sun, Sep-09-07 at 00:39.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-07, 10:28
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

Cool, thanks so much for the advice. So I'll be looking for cross-trainers from the following brands -- New Balance, Aviva, Ascic's, Reebok and Brooks -- and gel inserts to match.

I don't think I've ever stepped into a Kohl's! But I'm sure there must be one around. Fun, a shopping adventure awaits!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 20:43

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 352.2/332.6/230 Male 74 inches
BF:43%/40%/10%
Progress: 16%

ummm you'll have balance issues when you first start lunges. While a pair of crosstrainers may help, you'll be whobbly for awhile. Its about your ankles and support muscles not being strong enough.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-07, 20:26

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

I finally went and spent the extra dough to get some New Balance 907 off-road cross-trainers. They're for trail running and cross training and I completely feel the difference between these and my cheapy, but brand name, department store "walking" shoes I used to buy. Never again. I do a lot of walking on trails and they also work very well when out biking with my son on the back as their treads are not likely to slip off my non-clip pedals.

Get good shoes. I'm a convert.

Plane
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 03:50
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

I lift in bare feet, but I also have a home gym--I'm guessing commercial gyms would frown on this?

I have occasionally lifted in my trainers, which are Asics. Not too bad, but better stability with bare feet. Probably a better choice for lifting would be Chucks (Converse), or something else with a flat sole and maybe high tops for ankle support. If I were in the OP's position, I would wear Chucks to lift, and then switch to Asics (or equivalent) for cardio, just keeping the other pair of shoes handy in a gym bag.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 09:25
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j...os/DSCN3314.jpg

These are good for ankle strength. I stand on concrete all day and have found they help with proprioception as well.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 17:10
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

I can't tell what's going in in that pic, Kay -- is there some sort of attachment to the bottom of the shoe??
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 18:34
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Yes, it's a large spring. The manufacturer is Z-Coil.