Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 11:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/158/145 Female 5ft.8.5in
BF:
Progress:
Default Can My Endicrinologist Prescribe Antidepressants????

heyyyyyyyyy everybody...i'm new here! i'm fairly young, 21, but was just diagnosed with PCOS about two weeks ago. FINALLY, i know why i've always been so weird with my moods--and since adolescence! so now i've been taking metformin for about 5 days now and suddenly i just have soooooo much energy than b4. but the beginning side effects?? ugghhhh! how awful! but one thing i'm REALLY concerned about is this: will my moods improve while taking this?? metformin's goal IS to balance out hormones through manipulation of insulin,right...I really hate how suddenly i feel sad for no reason or when i just go numb. has anyone ever felt that numbness, where u just don't feel ANYTHING but u continue to go through the motions of life until the feeling passes??? i just recently had an episode and i'm just wondering will my endocrinologist write me a prescription to deal with this??? i'm trying to wait it out with this metformin, but just in case.....

sweety3.14
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 12:39

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

When you take Metformin, you need to take extra b vitamins. Metformin can mask a b12 deficiency so to be on the safe side, take the extra b which will have a side benefit of possibly regulating your moods.

Deb
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 12:49

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I would give it some time before I opted for anything for depression, since that is one of the symptoms of PCOS. Personally, I would give it about 6 months. Do you exercise? Because this will also help with depression.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 13:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/176/130 Female 151 cm
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hey Sweety

Yes, I know the numbness and the sadness for no reason. Good news! Since starting LC and metformin I am weaning myself off the anti-depressants and stopped seeing the stupid counsellor that says "You must be thinking about something".
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 23:07
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing
Stats: 215/192/160 Female '5 "6
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default hi

Boy do I know about the mood swings...I used to tell people in school that I was not in a good mood, and i apologize ahead of time for whatever i say or do. I have always just spoke my mind without caring if I hurt someones feelings. i just thougt it was an attitude problem. Imagine my surprise when I started researching PCOS. FINALLY, and answer to my questions. I started taking Metformin ER, but soon stopped because I could not deal with the naseau..it was just too much for me, but LC'ing helps me tremendously.

I went to numerous counselors, when I as in the AirForce they thought I was crazy and suicidal. Since finding out about PCOS and all its symptoms, I know how to deal with things better, and I can recognize my moods starting to swing, so I take steps to combat it. I try to do things or surround myself with someone or something uplifting to help pull me out of the depression or numbness. My coworker recognize my moods also, and poor hubby has felt the heat more times than I can mention. But it's better now, without a lot of medication. Not to knock those who are on med's for depression, just saying it was not right for me.

nice to meet some fellow "cysta's" who are LC'ing. What other things are you all doing to fight this dreadful symdrome?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 00:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/158/145 Female 5ft.8.5in
BF:
Progress:

hey guys-ahhhmmm, LADIES! sorry it's been sooooo long responding. i've been so busy with classes and finals! i just want to say thanks to you all for ur support. Being on this site makes me realize too, i can't TOTALLY depend on my doctor!!! i need to start doing some research myself,hunh. :-)Also,suganomore, you are so right when you say i should put myself around uplifting people! i try to, but would you believe it if i told you people with problems look to me to solve them! people in school, random people just come right up and start telling me things! it seems like EVERY friend i make needs my help...i'm always strong for them, but they aren't for me. and i guess i am just looking for a quick fix with the medicine. in the past i did very poorly in classes b/c my mood fluctuated so much. but i have been able to do well so far, this semester, primarily through will power. i took meds awhile back but then decided i was strong enough without them. but it just takes sooo much time for me to get to where i want to be and my emotions are getting totally out of control now. and i don't know if this is any help to you, but to fight my depression and moodswings finding a hobby sometimes helps. i just recently started teaching myself guitar, which is really soothing. other times i paint. the more creative u get the easier u forget about your problems. jun keater, i'm taking a fitness class so i run and do weight 4 times a week, which is helpful i guess. i'm happy you've lost so much weight! r you excercising AND doing LC?? and everyone else, i'm soooo happy for you guys too...i will keep u all in my thoughts! keep on keep'in on "Cysta's!" :-)