Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 03:50

Plan: my own
Stats: 160/160/140 Female 5'9''
BF:
Progress:
Question Has LCing realllly helped with body hair?

Hi all-

I am curious to know if LCing actually helps with the whole hair in places it shouldnt be. Ive read in this forum a few posts that claim it helps- and alot that show it doesnt help.

I dont want to get my hopes up and I would like to look at different options if the responses are mostly negative. So does losing wieght by LCing really show results????

ps- Waxing is supposed to make hair thinner and less noticeable. Does this apply to PCOSers too?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 04:29
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I would say that there are two thing which make hair less - one is an estrogen only contraceptive pill and the other is Metformin. Both of which have to be precribed, but you should ask your Dr if he will precribe both or one of the above.
Also, I am a PCOS sufferer too and I can honestly say that unfortunately, it hasn't really made a difference to my hair - BUT it has made a VAST difference to the way I feel in myself - you will feel MUCH MUCH better if you LC than if you carry on eating carbs - the carbs work like poison to us poor soulcycters!!
Take care and hope to see you join in the brilliant LC way of life!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 02:05

Plan: my own
Stats: 160/160/140 Female 5'9''
BF:
Progress:

hmm that is interesting Jadefox. I agree that when I dont eat carbs I feel better! I have been on a plethora of medication for some time now (metformin, orthocyclen, spironolactone, dexamethasone) that have corrected my symptoms except for the hair!

I was hoping LCing would fix that
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 13:38

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 186/125/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

Moderating my carbs, exercising and metformin were not enough for me to control my hair. I did try spiro for a few months, but discontinued it because it totally halted my periods. Despite the fact that my testosterone, and androgens were all finally normal (at diagnosis they were 2-3x normal), I was still shaving twice a day, so I ended up having laser treatments on my chin, neck and upper lip. 7 treatments later my hair is almost gone and I shave a few little patchy spots every couple of weeks now.

My Dr told me that for some, met will do the trick, but for others, other options are neccessary to control the hair.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 16:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/180/134 Female 5'4
BF:Size 12
Progress: 22%

It has done nothing for me. The estrogen birth control also did nothing, nor did the metaformin. The doctor said they would help and I was hopeful, but nothing. I have had laser a few times and must say that most of it is gone, but some still there and it scars where ever the hair grows! I can't let it grow out for 2 weeks like I would need to to have it lasered again. I refuse to walk around with hair sticking out like that. So I don't know what I will do next. Although the laser worked zero on my upper lip, but oh well. Most people do have some hair there and I bleach. It's the neck area that depresses me.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 11:25

Plan: south beach
Stats: 173/166/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default losing weight helped me

in my experience and from what i've gathered from various drs. the hair is symptomatic of PCOS, so that you have to treat both the syndrome of PCOS and then the sympton of hair. Before getting married, I made a huge weightloss effort and the results were less hair sprouting! However, the stuff that was there (that had taken root, so to speak) needed to be removed with a laser. No amount of weightloss would help. So my point is that once you have the syndrome in check, you *should* see some betterment of the symptoms.

because lo-carbing helps keep insulin resistance in check, some form of a low-carb diet is helpful for PCOS cysters.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 13:04
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/n...-acne.html#sec1

1) Vitamin D for PCOS

Women with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) may also have varying degrees of insulin resistance and an increased incidence of diabetes.

Over the past 30 years, numerous studies have established a role for calcium in egg maturation and normal follicular development. PCOS is characterized by hyperandrogenic chronic anovulation (lack of ovulation) due to excess androgens (masculinizing hormones), ovarian theca cell overgrowth, and arrested follicular development.

Vitamin D plays a crucial role in calcium absorption and regulation. A study conducted at Columbia University investigated whether vitamin D and calcium dysregulation contribute to the development of follicular arrest in women with PCOS, resulting in reproductive and menstrual dysfunction.

They studied 13 women who had chronic anovulation, hyperandrogenism and vitamin D insufficiency. Nine had abnormal pelvic sonograms with multiple ovarian follicular cysts. All were hirsute, two had hair loss, and five had acanthosis nigricans.

Vitamin D combined with calcium supplementation resulted in normalized menstrual cycles within 2 months for seven women. Two became pregnant and the others maintained normal menstrual cycles. These data suggest that abnormalities in calcium balance may be responsible, in part, for the arrested follicular development in women with PCOS and may contribute to the pathogenesis of PCOS.

Two other recent studies have shown that vitamin D deficiency may be a contributing factor to insulin resistance and diabetes, both of which are problems for women with PCOS. These and other studies suggest that vitamin D plays a role in the secretion, and possibly the action, of insulin. People with diabetes tend to have lower vitamin D levels. See our July 2004 issue for more details about one of theses studies.

You can increase your vitamin D levels by exposing your skin to more sunlight. You can also take a vitamin D supplement. However, since vitamin D is toxic in high doses, it's wise to get your vitamin D level measured with a blood test, or consult with a licensed naturopathic physician.

Sources:
Thys-Jacobs S, et al, Vitamin D and calcium dysregulation in the polycystic ovarian syndrome, Steroids. 1999 Jun;64(6):430-5.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 22:08

Is anyone on any type of pill for the hair? Not metaformin or a birth control something else? I have excess androgen, which is the reason for the hair growth right? Can't they give me something to lessen the androgen to a normal level and therefore end my problems with hair? I've looked at a lot of PCOS sites and have found no info on this. My doctor told me the birthcontrol pill would help, did not. Nor did metaformin or avandia. The laser is so inconvenient for me.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 05:40
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Vitamin D has helped. And it is not toxic in the natural form!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 08:07

I'm going to the doctor in 2 hours to enquire about the hair and see about getting alcadone or if something new is available. Last year she just kind of pushed it off saying oh try Yasmin for it and see what happens. Hey she's not the one who has to wake up with hair on her face!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 00:26

Plan: general
Stats: 204.6/203.5/120 Female 5 ft 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 1%

I'm on metformin and spironolactone. I was told the Met was for the insulin resistance and the Spiro for the hair. I was also told it would take 6 months for me to see a difference.
I have hair on my chin. Before medications I had a stubby chin with thick hair almost down to the neck. After 3 months the hairs are thinning out noticeably and when I tweeze the skin feels smoother. Im hoping they will disappear soon.