Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 05:58
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing
Stats: 215/192/160 Female '5 "6
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default What works for you?

Ladies,

I was just wondering what works for you? I am presently LCing tying to get my insulin and testosterone levels down and w/n the normal range. I have done good so far for the last 4 days, time will tell. I haven't gotten on the scale yet to see where I stand, and I won't until the end of the first 2 weeks. Ultimately my goal is to ovulate on my own, and concieve. I am 27 (28 on Aug. 19th) and DH and I want children so bad it hurts. He has children from a previous marriage, so I fell even worse not being able to do it 'naturally'. Anyway, what works for you ladies? I will start Clomid after I lose an appropriate amount of weight. I was on Glucophage XR which worked really well for a while and then I quit it, but when I tried to take it again, it gave me really bad GI problems. I will probably have to go back on it though, especially if my REI finds out. Anyway, I was just curious if there were any women out there that have had success and wanted to share your story with me. I haven't read all of the threads on this forum yet, so please be patient if this question is redundant. Thanks All.

Your Cyster,

Suga'
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:22

Plan: Atkins / IF / High Fat
Stats: 325/320/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi Suga'

I am LC'ing to lose weight, control my insulin levels and hopefully ovulate on my own. I also was prescribed Glucophage but am presently not taking it.

I've been charting my BBT and I think I did ovulate last month. Before I had my twins (thanks to Glucophage & Chlomid) I did not ovulate at all... ever! I'll know in a few more days if I ovulated this month. I would consider that a major victory if I did.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing
Stats: 215/192/160 Female '5 "6
BF:

Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to wonder...
Congratulations on your twins!!! I pray for just half of your blessing. I don't think I have ever ovulated. But there is always a first time. I was taking glucophage XR but when I quit and tried to restart it was awful. i am LCing right now. 7 days strong and 5lbs less. It was probably all water or something like that. I just want to get things into the normal range and get on with my life w/o PCOS ruling every day. I know this is a WOL not just a diet, so I am trying to get used to it. If you don't mind me asking, at what dosage of Clomid and gluc did you concieve? I tried it once and only went to 100mg (clomid) and nothing happened. Iwas so disappointed I just told the doc I wanted to take some time off from the treatments. I want to get 'fit' before trying again.

again, thanks for the reply

Suga'
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:02

Plan: Atkins / IF / High Fat
Stats: 325/320/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi suga'

I spent a lot of time being angry at the ignorant dr's - and at my defective biology.... but have decided to not waste any more energy on that. I know I am not crazy now and am trying to move forward.

Before I had my twins I didn't ovulate at all - but I didn't know that. I was niave and thought period = ovulation. I had periods evey 45-90 days and assumed that I was ovualting. BBT charts solved that mystery for me.

My doses prior to conception were 2000 mg/day of glucophage for 4 months and eating LC and then 1 round of Clomid. I'm pretty sure that dose was 100mg. I also had an HSG 2 months before the Clomid and that may have helped too (although I can't be sure either way)

A funny story (although it was not funny at the time....)
Before giving me Clomid I went in for an ultrasound on Day 3 to make sure there were no major cysts. Then I came back on Day 12 for another US to see if there were any eggs. My dr. couldn't even find my left ovary. He said I was constipated (news to me!) and to come back the next day. So on Day 13 I went in again for another US. He found both ovaries and still no eggs. So I made my apt. for Day 30 to have my progesterone injection and thought the month was a loss. Long story short - I did get pregnant that cycle. I was feeling tired and my breasts were sore so I took a home test. (and boy did that feel dumb... the dr. said I had no eggs) Nothing happened with the test so I left it on the counter and went to bed. In the morning my DH found it sitting there and it was POSITIVE!!! OMG!!! We were in shock! So I went in for my Day 30 apt. and told them I needed a blood test. The nurse said why? you didnt ovulate. I told them about my home test and they said OK.... 10 mins later the lab rushed the results back and it was real - I was pregnant! I jokingly said to my dr "and you said I didn't have any eggs!!!" He said I guess you are an early releaser! Well if I had of known that was a possibility I wouldn't have been depressed all month!

Anyway - sorry for the rambling story. Don't give up hope yet. My dr. had told me that I was going to be a tough nut to crack and it turned out to be fairly easy. Of course I didnt think that at the time... but now that my babies are here safe and sound.... I can say that.

PS - I don't mind any questions at all.....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 10:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/181/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi Suga

I was diagnosed with PCOS 7 years ago. I was having trouble getting pregnant. My doc started me on dexamethasone (a steroid) to increase ovulation. I was on it for a few months and got pregnant. The tricky thing is as soon as you know your pregnant, you have to stop taking it! Hard when my cycles were so out of wack - hope this helps. P.S. I am a newbie to this site. Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 05:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/217/199 Female 5'7
BF:

Hi Suga,
Im trying to conceive also.. Been trying for a couple years now.
Im on metformin and clomid....
just starting Low carb.. and got my fingers crossed.
Welcome and good luck to you1