Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 05:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default U.S. News Best Diets 2019

This year, to make Everyone Happy, US News ranked 41 diets, and has 8 sub-categories!
https://health.usnews.com/best-diet

If Keto looks bad on Overall, you can find it at #3 for Fast Weight Loss.

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet...ight-loss-diets

Atkins is #2 but both real food diets are after the HRM diet. Never heard of it? ..it’s one of those shakes, soups, cereal plans that now is conveniently for sale direct to the public and US News conveniently surrounds the article with Ads for it. And of course, if you read the pros and cons of Keto, the usual how does it stack up to the Wonderful US Dietary Guidelines that keep this country slim and healthy, you might go crazy...but these rankings are "out there" now. Their panel of "experts" includes David Katz, Michael Greger, and many plant-based leaning RDs, so it is actually surprising Keto showed up at #3.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-03-19 at 06:06.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 09:20

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

David Katz? The sad part of an article like this is that people will believe it and take it as nutritional gospel. That's it, US News published it, so it must be true. So those 20 and 30 somethings who haven't yet experienced metabolic disruption due to uninformed eating habits will continue eating in an uninformed manner. Hey, how can you go wrong when you're eating a Mediterranean diet??? Everyone says it's the best way to go . . .
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 12:06

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Maybe somebody needs to repackage Keto as "Mediterranean Keto" and THEN everybody will love it.

I couldn't help but notice the following blurbs on the U.S. News page that give details about its #1 ranked (Best Overall) Mediterranean Diet... https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/mediterranean-diet

Quote:
There isn't "a" Mediterranean diet.

and then under the section "Will Mediterranean Diet help you lose weight?"
Quote:
A 2010 study in Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism assigned 259 overweight diabetics to one of three diets: a low-carb Mediterranean diet, a traditional Mediterranean diet or a diet based on recommendations from the American Diabetes Association. All groups were told to exercise 30 to 45 minutes at least three times per week. After a year, all groups lost weight; the traditional [group lost an average of about 16 pounds while the ADA group dropped 17 pounds and the low-carb group lost 22 pounds. (bolding and underlining added by me)

Because of the way they shift around their wording, it kind of get's lost in translation... But, if you connect the dots, the "traditional mediterranean" dieters lost the LEAST weight (16 lbs), while the "low carb Mediterranean" dieters lost the most weight (22 lbs) with the ADA diet group falling in the middle.
DUH??? Maybe it wasn't the "Mediterranean" aspect of the diet that mattered. Maybe it was the "low carb" aspect?

And then, there is this:
Quote:
Another study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2008, assigned 322 moderately obese adults to one of three diets: calorie-restricted low-fat; calorie-restricted Mediterranean; and non-calorie-restricted low-carb. After two years, the Mediterranean group had lost an average of 9 7/10 pounds; the low-fat group, 6 4/10 pounds; and the low-carb group, 10 3/10 pounds. Although weight loss didn't differ greatly between the low-carb and Mediterranean groups, both lost appreciably more than the low-fat group did.

Again, because of the way they shift terms around, what gets lost in translation is that,over a two-year study, NON-CALORIE RESTRICTED LOW CARB beat out CALORIE RESTRICTED MEDITERRANEAN. So, go hungry for two years on a calorie-restricted Mediterranean diet or eat as much as you want on a low carb diet while losing slightly MORE weight that you would have while going hungry? Seems pretty obvious to me!

Seriously, when I compare a Mediterranean diet to my daily low-carb fare, the biggest differences are that 1) except for flax, I don't eat grains (whole or otherwise) and 2) I avoid starchy vegetables and sugary fruits. So maybe we could slip past the bias against low carb by repackaging it as something like "grain-free low-sugar Mediterrnean."
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 17:18
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

I don't understand how any diet which emphasizes whole grains and fruit to be very good for diabetes. I guess that any restriction on calories can lead to weight loss and that can bring glucose numbers down but eating a bunch of grains and fruit can not be good
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 17:47

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr1
I don't understand how any diet which emphasizes whole grains and fruit to be very good for diabetes. I guess that any restriction on calories can lead to weight loss and that can bring glucose numbers down but eating a bunch of grains and fruit can not be good

Unfortunately that's what doctors have been advising as per the ADA. Then they write a prescription(s) that will renew for life along with lots of appointments and lab tests..... Never cured but a good cash cow patient!
Five patients like that is worth 2 Hawian vacations from the drug companies per year!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 18:41

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
So those 20 and 30 somethings who haven't yet experienced metabolic disruption due to uninformed eating habits will continue eating in an uninformed manner.

I really think the kids are learning the truth despite articles and rankings like this one. The kids just don't trust the media or other authority the way we used to. Whereas years ago I might have heard my kids playfully (or actually) accusing each other with things like, "You lie!", these days I hear them saying, "Fake News!"

Also, I hear kids (and not just mine) talking about "carb stupors" and "carb hangovers," etc. It seems to me the kids who are tuned into nutrition health these days tend to be lowish carb/intermittent fasters. Of course, there are no shortage of vegetarians and vegans among the young folk but those diet choices seem more part of pro-environmental lifestyles rather than pro-health/pro-nutrition viewpoints. And at least in the circles in which my kids run the vegetarians are far outnumbered by the lowish carb kids. That Atkins and Keto could be ranked high on any of the USNews lists speaks to low carb's popularity despite resistance from the government and medical establishment. And as these lowish carb kids grow up and become the medical establishment, the guidelines will change. Maybe we're already seeing that beginning to happen?

ETA: Also, I'm a little tired of hearing how expensive Atkins/Keto eating is. It's not true. For me and my family at least. We eat so much less and I make many less trips to the grocery store. Bread and cereal are not all that cheap, and when they were in my house my sons would graze on them all day long. I really don't see much difference in my grocery bill at all.

Last edited by tess9132 : Thu, Jan-03-19 at 18:57.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 04:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Lest I get excited that Keto ranked in Fast weight loss diets, headline from Prevention ends up to be:

The Best Diets for 2019 Are Here—but Keto and Whole30 Are Among the Worst

https://www.prevention.com/weight-l...s-world-report/

CNN at least mentions Keto in the article:

Mediterranean diet named the best for 2019

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/02/heal...2019/index.html

U.S. News “Best diets for 2019” list disappoints
DietDoctor editorial post:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/us-news-...ist-disappoints

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-05-19 at 04:10.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-19, 15:42

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Diets don't change in their ability (or lack thereof) to produce results; they either work or they don't, full stop.

Ranking diets year on year like this is like trying to turn food into fashion. Just another mechanism for "influencers" to retain their "influence".
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 15:31

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
Also, I'm a little tired of hearing how expensive Atkins/Keto eating is. It's not true. For me and my family at least. We eat so much less and I make many less trips to the grocery store. Bread and cereal are not all that cheap, and when they were in my house my sons would graze on them all day long. I really don't see much difference in my grocery bill at all.

It is more expensive than the people who make a fetish of eating beans and rice and get into competitions at how cheaply they can eat each week.

But my own keto is not more expensive that my other low carb paln, and it actually makes it easier to eat only one or two meals a day.