Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 15:07

Plan: General keto/lowcarb
Stats: 275/266/180 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Protein shakes??

Hi all, looking for a recommendation for a protein shake (zero/low carb) that I can mix with cream and milk? I mostly want it for when I'm a little peckish or heading out somewhere so I am not at all tempted to reach for anything carb-y.

Helpful if you know where I might get some as well! (UK)

I like the look of this one;
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pa...odid=249&cid=47
but any suggestions would be appreciated!!

TIA!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 15:56

Plan: DirtyCarnivore/vlc Atkins
Stats: 181.2/125.0/123 Female 65
BF:34.6%/19.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Dh likes Body Fortress--Whey Protein . He also has used and likes Pure Protein Whey Protein.

Here's the Body Fortress website...they have different kinds of shakes, so you need to check the carb counts.

Pure Protein website.

We bought ours at Walmart, but you can check your area for them, or order from the website.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-13, 12:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

No advice on good brands in the UK, but I suggest you do not choose anything with soy protein. Use a quality whey protein instead. Precision Engineered - Whey Protein is sold in the US and popular here as well.
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pa...=100&prodid=565

Soy Alert: http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-03-13 at 16:01.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-13, 23:13

Plan: mine
Stats: 260/165/165 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jez,

There are of course a huge range of protein powders available on the market and all of them do have quite high protein content and there are some that only use whey as the source of protein which is obviously good and I would totally agree with Janet, don't take anything with soy protein. It interferes with the way our body works on so many levels. It really should carry a health warning.

The only problem with commercially made whey protein mixes is that they do contain a lot of artificial sweeteners. When I say a lot I mean a lot, things like dextrose, maltodextrin, sucralose, sucrose and so on. So while you might be getting your protein you'll be getting lots of other things that you don't really want.

You can of course make your own protein shakes which you can base on nice full fat raw milk. If you want something thicker you can use yogurt or green yogurt, add to that some cottage cheese mainly because that contains the protein casein and some lauric. You can add to that something like some sort of nut butter, peanut butter for instance or even almond butter. Now with those ingredients you could literally put everything in the jar and shake it up but if you want to add some low carb fruit or something like that, I would suggest you use a blender to make the mix. Now as it is like that it won't be very sweet so if you're looking for something sweet add some Stevia or a good quality stevia extract and voila… you have your home made, ever so tasty, guaranteed natural protein shake!

Hope that helps,

Mark
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 09:38

Plan: Atkins/Reduced dairy
Stats: 280/200/180 Male 5'8
BF:30.4%
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
No advice on good brands in the UK, but I suggest you do not choose anything with soy protein. Use a quality whey protein instead. Precision Engineered - Whey Protein is sold in the US and popular here as well.
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pa...=100&prodid=565

Soy Alert: http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert

This one has soya lecithin as an ingredient. I take lecithin as a daily supplement for my liver is that not a good tHing? Or is it only soya protein you have issue with?