Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 08:47

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Covid-19 and sugar

On Yahoo news feed today...
Quote:
Maybe coronavirus's aggressiveness could be changed by adding or subtracting sugar molecules from its spike protein
Adam M. Brufsky, Professor of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, The Conversation, May 7, 2020

Quote:
Scientists have been tracking changes to the genetic makeup of the new coronavirus to better understand how best to slow its spread. My research on the link between high blood sugar in patients and the severity of the illness from the virus could provide insight into the nature of different possible types of virus. Specifically, the presence of sugar on the virus’s spike protein could help differentiate them.

Many physicians noticed that people with high blood sugar, not only those with a history of diabetes but also unexplained new diabetes, were showing up in the hospital with the novel coronavirus. This indicated to me that something could be going on with the addition of sugar molecules to the virus, or the receptor it latches onto to infect cells, that influenced the severity of the disease.

Link to the rest
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 13:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the feed, Bev. This is the more plausible issue that makes people vulnerable to coronavirus than just isolating obesity and/or HBP alone. Yes, many people who are obese may also have high BG and/or HBP. Yet, a good amount of those who are not obese have the same conditions. As observed by many on this forum, much data shows better resistance in those who are metabolically healthy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 04:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

New information from Virta Health. First, joining their team as CMO is Robert Ratner, MD, former CMO of the American Diabetes Association.

He has written this article, dated April 22, The Emerging Science Connecting Glycemic Control to Improved COVID-19 Outcomes . https://www.virtahealth.com/blog/co...lycemic-control

Dated May 5 by Dr Sarah Hallberg, Glucose Control Impacts Outcomes from COVID-19 Infection in Patients with Pre-Existing Diabetes https://www.virtahealth.com/covid-19/05-05-2020

And Virta shares a few Webinars as the info changes. I was able to click through and find the last ones on YouTube, so not limited to patients. https://www.virtahealth.com/covid-19.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 06:00

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Intersting nuggets to think about.

>200 blood sugar = ineffective function of whiteblood cells

study on SARS showed

-- 178 mean blood glucose resulted in 28.8% mortality
-- 116 mean blood glucose resulted in 6% mortality

My conclusion and thoughts, too many people are unaware of their personal blood sugar levels as doctors dont test unless outright diabetes is suspected, based on my personal experience. I was tested when pregnant over 16 years ago and only HbA1c checked since.

Control of blood sugar is important to avoid cytokine storm. Mean of 116 is too high for optimal level.

Years ago ob/gyn said I must keep morning number under 90. These days I hear 100 is the new goal number......in view of Covid 19 and its related diseases, perhaps allowing an elevated morning blood glucose should not be the new goal.

And why keto might really be beneficial.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 10:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
study on SARS showed

-- 178 mean blood glucose resulted in 28.8% mortality
-- 116 mean blood glucose resulted in 6% mortality

Those are some significant numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
It seems to be unfortunate that the shelter-at-home program has led to many more people deciding to bake food items. Almost everything that is baked is full of flours and sugars. I feel that the number of metabolically damaged people will be greater when the pandemic is finally over.

I agree. It's comfort food turned up to eleven, but there's still this pervasive mindset that it's harmless. We know it's not, especially now.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 07:41

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

It seems to be unfortunate that the shelter-at-home program has led to many more people deciding to bake food items. Almost everything that is baked is full of flours and sugars. I feel that the number of metabolically damaged people will be greater when the pandemic is finally over.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 11:15

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

I'm hoping the opposite. My eating has greatly improved and I was LC before. Now almost only single meat and single veg and eggs for meals.

Limited selection drives smart choices, or at least it should.

Zero Snacks or LC treats
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 11:26

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
I fear you're right Dodger. A great many of my facebook friends are peppering their posts with images of breads, cookies, and cakes that they're just baked.

Even people who used to moderate the amount of "goodies" that they ate seem to have decided that being stuck at home gives them free license to consume as much sugar as they want, all in the guise of "comfort" food. And that includes those who are diagnosed T2 diabetics.

One friend posted about scarfing down 2 family-sized bags of those super-stuffed oreo cookies in one day! Another friend, who underwent gastric-bypass surgery about 10 years ago to lose almost 150 lbs and who has managed to keep most of it off all this time, has embarked on an orgy baking - and eating - all sorts of bread every single day. He admits to gaining back 30 lbs over the past 6 weeks but says he'll "worry about it once life gets back to normal again."

It breaks my heart but the message that scarfing down carbs - and especially sugar, may very well make people MORE susceptible to dying if/when they catch Covid-19 IS NOT being made at all clear.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 11:43

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I'm wondering if the blood clots affecting some patients is also due to sugar, now that we know arterial plaque is not due to eating too much cholesterol, but too much sugar. Every few days we hear "shocking" stories of "healthy" vegan marathoners fighting Covid. I'm not surprised.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-09-20, 07:45

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I'm wondering if the blood clots affecting some patients is also due to sugar, now that we know arterial plaque is not due to eating too much cholesterol, but too much sugar. Every few days we hear "shocking" stories of "healthy" vegan marathoners fighting Covid. I'm not surprised.

There are studies that point toward the elevated glucose increasing clots.

CONCLUSIONS—Hyperglycemia in acute coronary syndrome is associated with enhanced local thrombin generation and platelet activation, as well as unfavorably altered clot features in patients with and without a previous history of diabetes.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2494657/
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-09-20, 08:12

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Yes, Dodger, I've been alarmed by the pandemic of baking. Perhaps research into covid-19 will bring to light yet another factor of The American Way of Life that needs to be completely reformed. Sugar can kill you, just more slowly than a coronavirus.

We at LC are alarmed by the announced meat shortage. However, just think about a couple of generations of folks who have spent their entire lives lined up at the drive-through at Wendy's, McD's and bbq joints. Will they be the first to starve, not knowing where other food can be found and how to prepare it??

Today is DAY 57 of being home alone together--DH and me. Groceries ordered and picked up. Visit to Costco with full protective gear. Church via ZOOM. We are lucky to be able to keep these restrictions and protections. As of now, I think we missed our chance to zip through the drive-up of our favorite bbq joint. But we'll be okay with the food on hand.

Comfort food? Gallons of coffee, and good cooking LC style.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-09-20, 09:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

In my house, just keeping up with meal prep for two teens is a challenge, leaving no time for baking. Besides there are no bags of flour on the shelves....some one is buying them up! Ive the ingredients for a LC cake, topped with berries and whipping cream, for nearly a week with no time to bake.....
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-09-20, 13:52

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

On top of that, when teenagers are bored (often), eating is a favored activity. Spoken by one who knows . . . . . .
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-09-20, 14:37

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Recovering Popcorn-aholic feels grateful there's none to be had.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 19:14

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
In my house, just keeping up with meal prep for two teens is a challenge, leaving no time for baking. Besides there are no bags of flour on the shelves....some one is buying them up! Ive the ingredients for a LC cake, topped with berries and whipping cream, for nearly a week with no time to bake.....

Oddly enough, every time I go to Aldi, they seem to have plenty of flour. I haven't noticed whether or not they have a limit on it though, since they've been limiting anything that's low supply or high demand. Granted, they only have white, all purpose flour - no bread flour, no whole wheat, etc, and they bring this flour out by the pallet full (no unpacking and putting it on shelves), so there could be a few factors affecting it's availability, when other stores have no flour.