Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 13:33
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Nacho Cheese "Corn Chips"

I have often wondered if you could deep fry jicama, but I honestly just didn’t believe you could hide the sweet quality of jicama enough to bother. I also didn’t think I could ever slice it thin enough to work for something like this. Well, I bought a little folding Rival slicer recently and tried jicama on it today. It was more difficult to do jicama, but I finally got the hang of it and made these today to have with my bunless burger. All 3 variations I made of my fried jicama “potato chips” were so good, they are each worthy of their own post on the site! The nacho cheese corn chip version shown above was sprinkled with a mixture of nacho cheese popcorn seasoning, corn bran and sea salt. This is the closest to a true tortilla chip as I’ve come to in my my attempts to come up with one. Though crispy fried jicama usually tastes more like potato chips, this combination of seasoning transitions it to more of a corn chip flavor. These are suitable once you get to the grain rung of OWL. If you omit the corn bran, you can have these in Induction. These are great with burgers, just as a snack, or would compliment your next Mexican food dinner quite nicely!

I'll post the other two variations later, as the fitday servers just went down. Page won't load anymore. Stay tuned.......

INGREDIENTS:

6 oz. peeled jicama, (about 1/4-1/3 of a 6˝” jicama)
Oil of your choice 1″ deep or more (I used peanut oil)
1/8 tsp. crude corn bran (I have only found this through Honeyvillegrains.com)
1/4 tsp. nacho cheese popcorn seasoning
Dash sea salt

DIRECTIONS: Mix seasoning in a paper plate and I poured mine into an empty salt shaker I keep for such purposes. Set some papertoweling on newspaper by your stovetop for draining purposes. Next, peel and slice jicama VERY thin. I used a Rival fold-up slicer set on the thinnest setting, but a mandoline set on the thinnest blade setting would also work. It will take a very adept slicer to get it thin enough slicing with a knife by hand……not sure you can really. My food processor doesn’t slice this thin with either of the blades I have, but maybe you have a thinner blade than I. But if knife in hand is all you’ve got to work with, slice it as uniformly thin as you can. Bear in mind you will have to cook it much longer to get thicker slices to brown enough to get them truly crispy. You’re aiming for 1/16″ thick. Heat oil in a deep skillet or deep fryer. Drop about half the slices in so as not to crowd or cool off the oil to much. The bottoms will begin to brown first, so I flipped mine over several times to get the most even browning. You want these quite brown, but of course, not burned. And white areas int eh center will NOT be crispy, when hot or when cooled. But if these are browned well, they will be crisp even after they cool off! I was most impressed with that fact. When brown, lift out of oil with slotted spoon onto awaiting paper towels. While still hot and oily, sprinkle with salt/cheese/corn bran seasoning on both sides. Fry the second half of the chips and season as well.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 serving of about 20-25 chips (depends on size). Entire batch contains:

186 calories
13.7 g fat
154 g carbs, 8.5 g fiber, 6.9 g NET CARBS
1.2 g protein
161 mg sodium
255 mg potassium
46% RDA Vitamin C, 13% iron
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

I'm assuming the carb count is with the corn bran? Do you know what it is without it as a chip? Is this one of those flavors in the bag of Tarro chips they sell? I love those thing!

Donna
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 18:14
Patience Personified

Here's the plain chip version:

Recipe and nutritional info here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/potato-chips/

And here's the BBQ Potato Chip version that was absolutely amazing in flavor IMO:

Recipe and nutritional info here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/1...q-potato-chips/
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 18:20
Patience Personified

The Nacho Cheese popcorn seasoning is real close to the flavor they put on Doritos Nacho Cheese chips. REAL good IMO and when I bought it the other day (Kernel Season's brand at Walmart in the popcorn area), I fully expected it might be awful like that popcorn butter salt they used to make years ago. But this stuff was quite good actually. I got the idea to use it from another low-carber who makes a "Cheeto"-like snack using it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-11, 22:32
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian CAD
Stats: 120/120/100 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%

Oh my, these are absolutely delicious and to die for! And here I thought I could never taste nacho chips ever again. Thanks Buttoni for always sharing such awesome recipes.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-11, 08:36
Patience Personified

You tried them already? Which version did you do? I'm so glad you liked them! That's why I take the time to share recipes. Good food SHOULD be shared!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-11, 12:38

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I almost skipped looking at this thread because I am dairy free! SO glad I decided to take a peek. I want to try the bbq version.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-11, 19:40
Patience Personified

That one was actually my fav, Freckles! Think you'll like it. I never realized my spice blend was so close to BBQ chip seasoning before I tried this. It was sheer experimentation that turned out to be one of those kitchen experimental strokes of genius. DH has never cared for BBQ chips, so he was no judge at all. But I, on the other hand, have always loved them and feel I'm a pretty good judge of that taste.