Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-06, 16:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 269/259.5/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Question? Weight Watchers Core Plan? Semi Low Carb?

The new core plan by weight watchers seems very close to a lower carb plan?There is no counting points and you are allowed unlimited lean meats.You are also allowed "healthy " fats like olive oil, avacado and such. Once a day you can have either whole grain pasta or brown rice. Three fruits and vegies allowed. No processed foods unless counted in you few flex points. I am not too familar with South beach but it seems similar? What does any one think. I have an overweight child and feel a little more comfortable with this program then straight atkins. but I am a strong believer in low carb.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 14:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 195/185/140 Female 5'3"
BF:Well-marbled
Progress: 18%

Core allows you to freely eat lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and nonfat dairy. Basically all whole foods are allowed, however some healthy fats like nuts and nut butters are not on the approved list due to the "abuse factor." The trick to Core is determining when you are full since you aren't supposed to overeat. If knowing when to stop eating is a problem, then Core will not work for you.

Yes, WW Core and South Beach have a LOT in common. I guess you could call it moderate carb, but since WW is so flexible, it could easily swing to either high or low carb depending on your food choices. If you prefer a more planned approach, there are some meal-planning templates available at the South Beach support forum. They should work for either plan.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 12:59

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%

thanks,
I'm thinking come the end of the month switching to weight watchers.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 11:41
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

I already go to WW to be weighed. I noticed that core seems to be low-carb. Years ago, when I did WW, I remember getting 2 slices of bread a day or a small potato. Something like that - whatever it was, it did seem that there were few starchy vegetables and small amounts, if any, of rice or pasta. Never that AND a potato, for example.
I am going to try to get the core plan to work for me in a low-carb way if I can. As long as I'm going to the meetings! I can use some low-carb recipes from this site, too.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 01:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%
Default Ww?

Has anyone tried WW on line?
I heard of a lady today who lost 40 lbs doing it -
The last time I tried WW it took me 8 months to lose 17 lbs -
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 06:25
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb / IF
Stats: 261/248.5/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

lol! i laughed at that sunnywey, but i hope u dont take offence. It just made me remember when I did weight watchers. It seemed like I was ALWAYS thinking about food. I would carry my slider around religiously and would actually suffer mild panic attacks if I didnt know the full caloric figures for foods. the stress was so much, I would descend into icecream pints to cope, and then calculate how many extra points I had to subtracts from my allowances over coming weeks, so I could lose the "icecream weight"!
Low carb has been the most liberating WOE I have experienced. I mean, I have kept dark chocolate (my all time fav sweet!) an almost daily part of my eating and I continue to lose consistently. If the dreaded stall comes, no biggie, i will toss the chocolate aside. But no more obssessing, no more counting, no more planning to lose binge-weight.....wow....
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 08:17

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebene
lol! i laughed at that sunnywey, but i hope u dont take offence. It just made me remember when I did weight watchers. It seemed like I was ALWAYS thinking about food. I would carry my slider around religiously and would actually suffer mild panic attacks if I didnt know the full caloric figures for foods. the stress was so much, I would descend into icecream pints to cope, and then calculate how many extra points I had to subtracts from my allowances over coming weeks, so I could lose the "icecream weight"!
Low carb has been the most liberating WOE I have experienced. I mean, I have kept dark chocolate (my all time fav sweet!) an almost daily part of my eating and I continue to lose consistently. If the dreaded stall comes, no biggie, i will toss the chocolate aside. But no more obssessing, no more counting, no more planning to lose binge-weight.....wow....

I completely agree -- on WW I was always obsessing, worrying, planning, and I was just plain hungry. Very low carb diets are so freeing -- I don't think about food between meals. I always thought my food obsession problem was psychological. Eating very low carb shows me that it's purely physical.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 16:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/213.1/150 Female 5'6"
BF:must/hate/carbs
Progress: 34%

I just switched over to Atkins from WW and have already lost 7lbs...never did Atkins before and sure wish I had....WW does work for some people but only for some people...Atkins will work for anyone and I guess any diet will work and then it is up to us to do the work to keep it off, no matter which way we choose to do that....I was on WW points plan for about 8 months and all 8 months I followed all the rules and fought with the same 5lbs. and I have been on Atkins for 5 days and dropped 7lbs already....I think I know which one works for me...Whoo Hooo!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 18:18

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Congrats on your weight loss.... I hope you enjoy the low carbing life style....