Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/210/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Plateauing

I have been on the Atkins diet since Feb/03. I have lost a total of 53 pounds. I walk two miles a day on a treadmill at an incline set at 7. I keep my carb intake at about 20 grams and my caloric intake about 2000. I know that there are peaks and valleys on the plan. However I have been at 210 pounds for about a month. I did however reach a low of 206 but then started gaining weight even though i haven't changed my excerise or eating habits. Has anyone experienced this quirk? I am 65, married and retired.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 08:07

Stats: 250/232/160 Female 5'0"
BF:48%
Progress:
Unhappy plateauing

I've been on Atkins plan since Jan 03, lost about 25 lbs until June, then plateauted at 228, got discouraged and began upping the carbs, not exactly eating off plan, never went back to the grains and sugar but definitely eating more than I was. Now I'm at 232 and can't budge off, some people are suggesting I go back to induction, I really hate that idea, but I know that not only must I watch my carbs but also my total calorie intake and that's what is upsetting me.
I probably have to lower my total cals to under 1500, 'cos for the most part I've been eating 1800-2000 ..... I'm being ribellious again which at my age really sucks.
BTW I'm 49, so technically not 50 until next March but I feel I relate to older women better...the goals are so different for us.
I have no need to be a Barbie doll, just want to move better and remain healthy.
thanks
!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 10:25

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your info. Most people I have spoken to suggest the same idea. Going back to the induction phase. I've also had a dietian tell me that the Atkins will adventually stop performing due to the chemistry change that has taken place in your phyical makeup. My wife still wants me to stay the course.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 14:47
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi guys,

I'd suggest you both just stick with it. As you realise, low carb weight loss often occurs in fits and starts, and sometimes it's just a matter of hanging in there.
Have a look at the info on this site about plateaus and whooshes: http://www.jalilahsahar.com/whooshes.html

As for calories, I would suggest you increase them rather than decrease. Decreasing calories can too easily lead to a lower metabolic rate, which naturally leads to a further slowing in weight loss.

It's also interesting to see the number of people whose weight loss resumes when they increase their carbs too.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 15:00

Progress:

thanks for the advice,
I have renewed hope now.
Hanging in there!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 08:39

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Rosebud, after seven months on the Atkins, it seems almost like committing a sin to eat more calories and carbs. HOwever, I will give it a try, although Dr. Atkins states that you can't over due caloric intake.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 10:00

Stats: 303/185/167 Female 5ft. 6in.
BF:I don't wanta know
Progress: 87%

Hi,
I had really slowed down on my weight loss after the first three months at induction lever carbs. I was also going up and down a lot. Lose a pound or two, gain it back, etc. Now, I am keeping my carbs between 15 and 30. I've never gotten up to 30 yet,, only around 26 or 27 but I know I can have more if I want. I am also counting calories. I calculated what the amount of calories was that I could eat and lose 2 pounds a week, which for me is 1478. I am keeping my calories at or below that. I have only been doing since Friday,but have lost three pounds since Sunday when I last recorded my weight. I don't think I need to worry about starvation mode at this amount of calories, and raising my carbs gives me more options especially for vegetables and a few fruits which are lower in calories. For now, at least, this is working for me, maybe it would work for you, too. I also walk at least a mile every day, many days twice a day and do a few other exercises such as stretching and working my arms with small weights. I hope you don't get discouraged and quit. Where would that get you. Keep trying. You will get there!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 04:24

Progress:
Smile to MammaC

Hi and thanks for your post, always nice to hear some good words of success.
I haven't given up entirely on LC WOE mostly because I feel so much better eating LC, no more heartburn which used to be my constant companion.
I also had another problem, I was on an antidepressant, Zoloft for over 3 years, and my doctor and i agreed that to lose weight I should go off, well, for the past two months I have been dealing with withdrawal symptoms that have not been fun, so my food intake went up. I think I'm stable now at 240 but that's gotta go, cos I am very uncomfortable.
You are right, at our age, we have to watch calories also. I like your figure of 1400 cals a day, that would also appear to be my threshold, but maybe even a bit lower like 1200, when I did a lowfat diet that was what I was eating but I was hungry a lot...lc is better for that, for me I just know I have to keep away from grains and anything with corn syrup in it, but also have to watch my salad dressings as fat is too concentrated with calories.
btw anyone have a really good salad dressing recipe that is low calorie and LC?

thanks again for your post, please let me know how you are progressing!

MariaDiana