Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 11:23

Plan: cut out carbs
Stats: 299.2/205.5/168 Female 173cm
BF:41%
Progress: 71%
Default Pcos And Sleep?

does anyone with pcos have a prob with there sleep as well? either sleepin more or less then normal or wakin up all the time in the night
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 11:29

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

I find that around TOM I get exceedingly tired. But other than that I havent noticed.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 11:36

what is TOM?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 11:52

time of the month ....sorry
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 11:58

lol im blond

wel i sum times sleep long hours and short and it really messes me up thought it may b to do with PCOS
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 12:28

any chance you could be depressed, when I was depressed I went through spurts of needing no sleep to not getting enough sleep.

Also it could have to do with exercise or change of diet.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 12:35

yeh im on antis hav been almost 2yrs but sleep patern is stil messed up, i do tend to sleep more wen im down but altho iv told doc all time she dont think i need sleep doc just to discipline and get up at certain times each day but wen i do that i hav les sleep and after a few days im just so tired i go bk to sleepin 12hrs a day so catch 22 realy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 13:30

I found that I had to force myself up. Once I got on a schedule where I was getting up at 9am and not going back to bed until 9 or 10 even if I felt tired, and I got some exercise in during the day. My body finally cooperated, and got into routine.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 15:28

yeh iv tried everything, but evn if i was to do that id still be wide awake that nite til 4am and then up at 9am and then after days doin that theres no way id be up at 9am if i went bed at 4am, im fine once im asleep its just getin to sleep thats the prob
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 08:29

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%
Default i haven't slept well in 13 years

i have no problem getting to sleep but i experience a sensation while i'm asleep that i'm still consciously aware of what's going on around me. I'll be aware of buses passing etc and i'll be counting how many times i toss and turn and how many times per hour my eyes will open and how many minutes it's been since i last checked the clock.

Needless to say, i wake up exhausted. I get my best(deepest sleep) from 6:00 am to 6:45 am. that's not enough to function well.

I have not discovered any solution so i feel for anyone else who can't sleep well either. I think it has something to do with the hormonal imbalance of PCOS but what can you do?

I think if everyone could sleep like a baby, we'd all be much happier!!!

Deb
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 03:49

i think there should be some kind of re search in to it cause there was a advert over here on tv about periods and just before and after them u have probs with sleep tossin and turnin (advertisin sanatary towles that dont move in the night) and if that is affected by time of the month and hormones etc maybe PCOS does to??
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-29-05, 17:42

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%

deb34 - i can TOTALLY relate. I also have PCOS, and my TOM completely stopped last year. at around the same time, i started developing EXTREME insomnia to the point where i almost killed myself getting into dangerous situations during the day (e.g. crossing the street with 2 hours of sleep can be dangerous!!)
i have absolutely no doubt that PCOS hormonal issues have something to do with sleep irregularity, and that normal ovulation has something to do with normal sleep. I used to be a deep sleeper before my periods stopped. now, i'm always tired, and i can sleep all day, but even when i resist the urge, i just can't sleep well at night. and i wake up frequently - tossing, turning, to go to the bathroom, etc.. sometimes, after nights of bad sleep, i'll be so exhausted that i will sleep through the night, but it's not 'normal' sleep - it's the type of exhaustion sleep that 'I could sleep the entire weekend off' type of sleep. i agree, if everyone slept normally, we'd all be a lot happier. i never understood what the big deal was with insomnia until i went through it myself. what a curse!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 17:55

how can we get some docs to look in to pcos vs. sleep? cz as u say it wil drive ya mad if this is a fact and there cud be sum kinda help they cud offer for ppl with sever cases of sleep deprivation cause by pcos?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 22:27

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%

sorry, i'm bitter: yes we can get doctors to look into pcos and sleep. if we give them lots of money. and yes, there could be some sort of help. there IS. addictive sedatives. but that doesn't fix the hormonal issue. to find out WHY we can't sleep is hard work. they need research money. but to make us shut up and go to sleep is easy: prescribe non-lethal amounts of horse tranquilizers. sorry. i'm very bitter. and now off to take my sleeping pill
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 00:54
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Hiya, YES!! I do get insomnia sometimes - it's got a lot better of late, but I did use to have it so bad before, I had to take natural sleeping tablets and everything.
A good tip is to use pure lavendar oil on your bedding before you go to sleep - just one or two drops of the real stuff, I use to find this helped relax me enough to get to sleep!