Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-19, 06:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default The 10 Biggest Vegan Diet Lies (Debunked)

Yes, I'm grumpy. A new reason to dislike veganism is that our company holiday party is, once again, going to be catered by a vegan company.

Though the person who pushed it is saying "different food!" so I don't even know what concoctions will be available I also sent this person an email saying to please don't get me anything gluten free, since vegan AND gluten free "won't work for me and no one else will eat it" Fortunately I can fast all day if necessary

Searching online for some facts in case anyone is open to them, and I thought this article summed it all up in a solid way. I even learned new things!

The 10 Biggest Vegan Diet Lies (Debunked)

Quote:
Ancel Keys and the government brainwashed you into fearing saturated fat and cholesterol. Poor pseudoscience convinced you that you’re as good as dead if you eat red meat.

Ancel Keys swayed the world to replace animal fats with seed oils and carbohydrates. The result? Skyrocketing chronic disease.

ALL THE TIME I get, "Aren't you afraid eating all that meat and fat will kill you?" My answer is, "What if I told you the guy who started it all cherry-picked his data to support his theory? That it was all about his career, not real health?"

It's like I hit them on the back of the head with a shovel. I understand. I'm contradicting everything they have ever been told about food. Still, this now-indiputable FACT should stand for something.

But I'm just a co-worker in the breakroom, and they are inundated with the opposite from every possible outlet. I can see the shutters slam closed behind their eyes. And they go back to their "100 calorie dinners" they get from their NOOM app. I've grown to loathe that stupid thing

Quote:
Atmospheric Methane concentration has increased. But, a study from NASA revealed that meat is not the culprit. Most of the increase in methane is from rice paddies — one of the vegan favorites — and fossil fuels.

Ideally, we turn cows out to graze and walk them back to the barn at night. That super-processed tofurkey and wheat gluten concoctions use up much much more fuel. Between the mechanized and the artificial fertilizer it's carbon emission every step of the way. A few cow belches mean nothing.

Plus, I know that history records North America was once covered with buffalo. We should have had problems with the climate then, if what they say is true.

Quote:
Not only does meat cure chronic disease, it can help reverse climate change. Studies show that local raised cattle can pull carbon out of the atmosphere. Show me fake meat that can do that.

The Pharmaceutical industry has a higher carbon footprint than cars!

Wow, I didn't know that.

Quote:
According to Mike Archer, a Professor at the University of NSW, 25 times more animals die to produce an equal weight of wheat protein and beef protein.

I'm far more HUMANE than they are. My cats are MORE humane than vegans.

I also value my brain.

Quote:
The vegan diet is absent of or deficient in many of the most critical nutrients for your brain. Vitamin A, selenium, zinc, dha, vitamin d3, vitamin b12.

A study found that 47% of Vegan’s in Switzerland were deficient in Zinc, while only 10% of Omnivores were.

This is a recipe for disaster and one of the biggest reasons the mental health crisis is on the rise.

Quote:
Humans have a strong protein drive. Strong is putting it lightly. If you don’t get enough protein, you keep on eating and searching for food until you do.

This usually means you eat too much energy in exchange. This is exactly what happened.

THIS so very much. As discussed in this Diet Doctor post, How much protein can you eat in ketosis?, it's carbs that matter when it comes to staying in ketosis. I'm back to strict keto after climbing the carb ladder made me fall down I'm an Atkins induction gal from now on, with minimal fruit and veg.

Quote:
Even so, many have antinutrients that reduce their absorption. Soy, which is often used by vegans as a protein alternative, contains trypsin inhibitors that interfere with protein absorption. Soy protein is an oxymoron.

Just because it has protein, doesn’t mean you absorb it.

Soy is really an anti-food. And people continue to think it's healthy.

Quote:
This is one of the most pernicious lies of the vegan diet. That fiber is necessary and good for gut health. And that the vegan diet can heal your gut.

If I wanted to destroy someone’s gut I’d prescribe them the vegan diet. It is the Muhammad Ali of gut destroyers.

This is terribly true. So many people with gut issues go vegan in search of help. Instead, they are making things worse.

Quote:
Many plants are cocktails of toxic pesticides that destroy your gut. Plants do not want to be eaten, of course. As a defense mechanism, they synthesize antimicrobial chemicals.

I'm convinced this is the case with me. Aside from salad greens, all vegetables are now literally off the table for me. Ironically, now that the markets are full of cauliflower pizza crusts, I can't eat them. Terrible nausea and awful gut reactions.

Quote:
For 20 million years until 2.5 million years ago we languished as small brain monkeys.

It wasn’t until we discovered stone tools and were able to unlock the code to brain growth: brains and marrow. Since then, our brains have quadrupled in size.

This was the science I was taught in school and college. It was settled and highly supported science: and it still is.

VEGANS LIE.

In case any of this is helpful I urge readers to enjoy the whole thing!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-19, 09:27

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I feel for you. Vegans seem to be a protected minority. Restaurants, in general, bend over backward to make them happy. On the other hand, a carnivore in almost Asian restaurants will have to eat carbs and tofu or pass on eating.
The anti-meat groups get lots of favorable press while pro-meat groups are not considered newsworthy. I doubt that will change any time soon.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-19, 10:50

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The dynamics of perception of what constitutes good or bad eating habits are fascinating. Linking a food type to climate change or charging some with moral shortcomings is in favor with the media today, so articles shout headlines of these beliefs. The media is protecting us against ourselves and these "heretical belief systems" of animal food consumption, impact on health, and the accompanying lack of ethics are typically referenced in the ongoing encouragement of how to be the good "stewards" in maintaining healthy practices.

I can understand grumpy in this context, as today, opposing views tend to be, at the least, suppressed and ignored, and at the worst, attacked with those deniers ostracized. Interesting times.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-19, 13:47

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Twice recently I have been faced with Baked Potato lunches by groups of people who are sick. One lady is in the hospital with organ failure as we type.

Once on girl scout camping trip, they tried to force this BP thing down my throat. I went out and bought chicken leg quarters and BBQed them and cooked enough for all of the girls if they wanted some as the vegans sat watching me and pouting! LOLOL

So you know what I say? Don't let them bully you because that's what it is, they're trying to assert power over you!
Tell them that medically, you cannot eat that food!!!

ps make or buy a party tray with meat and cheese because that's what you CAN eat!!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sat, Dec-14-19 at 13:54.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-19, 16:11

BF:

Oh I'm fine, Meme. I just feel for them. I even told the NOOM APP ladies "I tried that for years and it never worked. "
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-19, 22:13

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Quote:
Humans have a strong protein drive. Strong is putting it lightly. If you don’t get enough protein, you keep on eating and searching for food until you do.

This usually means you eat too much energy in exchange. This is exactly what happened.
Oh, yeah. Dr. Ted Naiman is mentioned on this, that's great! I'm currently following his protein:energy diet and finally lost weight. Getting enough protein and not too much excess energy makes perfect sense and works.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-19, 02:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
The dynamics of perception of what constitutes good or bad eating habits are fascinating.

I see a lot of what might be called Puritanism when it come to "healthy" eating dogma. Indulgence is bad, of course! But the indulgence of a sugary treat is laughed off, "one won't kill me" and general enjoyment. "Just don't eat the whole thing," people say as they go back for seconds.

Fatty meat is also seen as an indulgence, but one people can feel superior to. I stand there with a slice of cake or a cookie, and no one comes by and feels moved to tell me, "You know that will kill ya," the way they will if I have a steak on that plate.

A tasteless, dry, small chicken breast is virtuous. My slab of chuck roast is DEADLY. I'm indulging myself the wrong way.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-19, 10:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Given the time of year approaching the holidays, I have had these experiences more than I care to count. At a recent group dinner, when it came time for dessert, it was saffron ice cream, and I was informed I had to try it. No. I have stayed consistent with my refusal to eat desserts or any sweets going on to 9 years. Not going to change now. "One spoonful won't hurt." Maybe not, but it won't be my mouth that spoonful enters.

On top of that, I had just completed a dinner that included lamb, ground lamb, chicken, sea bass, roasted fish, and other protein and fat rich savory dishes. I now have an appetite "off switch" that had been activated. No need to force down anything else, particularly something sweet with no nutrient content. So, yes, I hear frequently that everything in moderation is the best approach, except that it's not when I'm the one moderating.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-19, 12:10

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

The only way to stop what's going on, especially in the vegan realm is to stand your ground....
Some people don''t like confrontation but if you knew what is going on in Europe with the terrorizing of butchers and burning their businesses down, unless you wont to live in that type of world where they demonize meat eaters, better step up now.